Oatmeal

Options
I am having trouble eating oatmeal i put raison... strawberries and still cant eat it is it really necessary to have oat meal part of your diet can i just use the cereal oat meal much easier to eat

Replies

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    it's absolutely not necessary to have oatmeal part of your diet, not sure why you think that :) It might be good carbs, yes, but it is not necessary. Personally I absolutely love it and I eat it because of the taste and because it gives me energy in the morning, but eat whatever you like as long as it fits your cals (and/or macros depending on what you track). Processed cereals might be high in sugar and calories, but if you don't mind that and as long as you weigh your portion, I don't see why you couldn't have it instead.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    ps: personally I add honey and either some fruits, or some dark chocolate chips when I am feeling like I need chocolate to face the day :p
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Not necessary to eat oats.

I don't like the texture of cooked oats. I eat them raw & stirred into yogurt or soaked in milk in the fridge overnight a la overnight oats.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The oats I eat are granola or oatmeal and/or rasain cookies. Cooked rolled or steel cut cooked for breakfast has been outlawed in my home, no one will eat it as the texture of this stuff is just really bad when soggy.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I cook it in water and pinch of salt. Eat with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon. Best thing ever. I´m not kidding. Best thing. Try it. ;-) I want some now.. hey wait.. just had some!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    There are other things that you can eat besides oatmeal that are just as good. That said, I have oatmeal every morning that I work. I have the Gluten Free original and just mix in some PB2 with it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Don't eat them.

This. Unless you really want to like them for whatever reason, in which case you should just keep experimenting with different brands/ingredients. Have you tried Quaker's Instant Oatmeal? That's my go-to oatmeal when I'm feeling lazy. The apple-cinnamon one is to die for (I love adding blueberries!).

Seriously though, OP. If you can't stand oatmeal, you really don't have to force yourself. All the nutrients in/health benefits of oatmeal can be found in other foods.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat any foods you like that fit your calorie goal. If you dislike oatmeal then stop eating it. If you like cold cereal then eat that.

Oatmeal is cheap so I eat it sometimes. I prefer baked oatmeal if I'm going to eat it. http://www.budgetbytes.com has some tasty baked oatmeal recipes.
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you really feel oats are an essential part of your diet, look up recipes using oat flour. I try to eat oats several times a week, but I get tired of eating cooked cereal. I grind old fashioned oatmeal into flour in my blender and use it in muffins, pancakes or waffles. There are lots of good recipes oat there!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are eating instant oatmeal, that is gross.
    You might like rolled oatmeal or steel cut oats.
    Otherwise, have a different breakfast -- something left over from dinner the night before will work.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats (like McCann's) have a different texture than rolled oats, and I think a heartier flavor. You might give them a try to see if you like them. If you do, it's a nice way to get 6-7g fiber with your breakfast. I have them a couple of times a week with minced dried apricots, walnuts, and sugar-free maple syrup. Add a pat of butter if you like it that way. Takes me only 5 minutes to make a bowl of McCann's in the morning in the microwave so steel cut oats don't take that much longer to cook than Quakers.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    mrspaws91 wrote: »
    If you really feel oats are an essential part of your diet, look up recipes using oat flour. I try to eat oats several times a week, but I get tired of eating cooked cereal. I grind old fashioned oatmeal into flour in my blender and use it in muffins, pancakes or waffles. There are lots of good recipes oat there!

You can also get oat bran and use it in your recipes without having to grind it up; Trader Joe's Toasted Oat Bran is one brand, if you have access to a Trader Joe's.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why would oatmeal be necessary?

It's pretty good for you, but you can get those nutrients elsewhere if you don't like oats.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love oatmeal and have it every morning. However, if you don't like it, don't eat it! Believe me, there are plenty of 'healthy' things out there I don't like and won't eat them. The choice is always yours, not what someone else has decided is 'good for you'!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ginamcy wrote: »
    I am having trouble eating oatmeal i put raison... strawberries and still cant eat it is it really necessary to have oat meal part of your diet can i just use the cereal oat meal much easier to eat

I love oatmeal, but of course it is not necessary to have it as part of your diet. My favorite breakfast is a 2-egg omelet with vegetables, and a smoothie is a quick and easy option for many. Others will suggest that you include protein powder in your oatmeal, as protein is filling and protein powders are often tasty.

Anyway, I love oatmeal plain with blueberries, pears, bananas, or raspberries, or really any fruit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Um no. I personally find oatmeal not to be a very great food for a "diet", if we are talking about being in a deficit. Many do, but if you don't like it don't eat.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal with the raisins in them, that way they are nice and soft, no sugar needed.

I love Flahavans Irish Oatmeal (both the steel cut and the ordinary oats) - the best on the market - although a little expensive.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I never eat oatmeal or cereal. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you don't like boiled oats try roasting them in granola recipe. Crunchy instead of creamy.