Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    What about the whole gluten-free hype that has been all the rage? I am waiting for this one to go awaaaaay.

Ah yes, the one where non-celiacs think gluten-free makes you lose weight, or is "healthy" or some rubbish. Sigh.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    That as you lose weight, all the fat turns into muscle.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Cleanses, detox, acv, and anything by Dr oz. And agree the muscle v fat very annoying.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2016
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).

#headdesk# that's pysics....
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    drinking ice cold water will help with weight loss cause your body has to heat itself back up. they make it out like the affect is massive, like it is the equivalent of running a few kilometres.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).

A brick weighs more than the ocean?

Really good point.

Do adults weigh more than children? Not at all, 10 children weigh more than 2 adults.

Does brick weigh more than giprock? Not at all, 2kg or giprock weighs more than 1kg of brick.

Do hermes handbags cost more than coach handbags? Nope, $10k of hermes handbags and $10k of coach handbags cost the same.

Does ben & jerrys icecream contain more calories than celery? Nope, 1000cal of ice cream has the same calories as 1000cal of celery.

I'd agree that people could be more precise in their language, but it doesnt make "muscle weighs more than fat" a "myth".

It does make it a myth because types of things can't weigh more than other types of things. Types of things can be denser or less dense than other things. Throwing out more examples doesn't change your argument. In fact, most of your examples are based on relying on common amounts of substances (1 adult, 1 handbag, 1 container / serving of broccoli) - guess what must overweight bodies have more of in total? Your examples would actually make the point that from a language standpoint, fat weighs more than muscle, particularly for most overweight or obese individuals.

At the same weight, one has kess volume. At the same volume, one has less weight. Same thing. A common measurement of the amount is implied in all cases when nothing specific is mentioned.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach will make you lose weight a lot faster.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Eating breakfast to rev up your metabolism.

All obese people have IR.

"Bad" carbs and "good" carbs.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member

A brick weighs more than the ocean?

Really good point.

Do adults weigh more than children? Not at all, 10 children weigh more than 2 adults.

Does brick weigh more than giprock? Not at all, 2kg or giprock weighs more than 1kg of brick.

Do hermes handbags cost more than coach handbags? Nope, $10k of hermes handbags and $10k of coach handbags cost the same.

Does ben & jerrys icecream contain more calories than celery? Nope, 1000cal of ice cream has the same calories as 1000cal of celery.

I'd agree that people could be more precise in their language, but it doesnt make "muscle weighs more than fat" a "myth".

It does make it a myth because types of things can't weigh more than other types of things. Types of things can be denser or less dense than other things. Throwing out more examples doesn't change your argument. In fact, most of your examples are based on relying on common amounts of substances (1 adult, 1 handbag, 1 container / serving of broccoli) - guess what must overweight bodies have more of in total? Your examples would actually make the point that from a language standpoint, fat weighs more than muscle, particularly for most overweight or obese individuals.

At the same weight, one has kess volume. At the same volume, one has less weight. Same thing. A common measurement of the amount is implied in all cases when nothing specific is mentioned.

Particularly in the context of a discussion about body composition.
  • whatshequilts
    whatshequilts Posts: 8 Member
    My neice gave me a list of 15 acidic foods and told me to eat just those and only grapefruit juice. To only eat and drink that for 2 weeks. On the third week I could eat anything I wanted, then back to the acid foods for to more weeks. So on and so on...

Apparently according to her expertise the high acid level will "eat away your fat"
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2016
    The right way to lose is to to eat as little as you can to drop weight as quickly as you can.

You're lucky if you get food poisoning, a tape worm, or an illness that keeps you from eating.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member

Yeah, and cement weighs the same as cotton wool....
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member

Depends. A pound of each weighs the same.

Unless I'm reading your comment oddly. Or are you saying a pound of cement doesn't weigh the same as a pound of cotton?
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    edited March 2016
    Fat turns into muscle
    Starvation mode
    Carbs are bad
    Eating after 6 is bad
    Sugar is evil
    Dairy is evil
    Cutting out gluten makes you lose weight
    Lifting heavy makes you bulky
    Anything to do with "detox"
    Green tea helps weight loss
    WW, SW, Cambridge Diet, 5:2 etc all are superior to CICO ... Even though it ultimately comes down to the same thing - a calorie deficit.

I could go on ...
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Only water counts as water - lie!

What is the difference between eating a pack of gummi bears while drinking a glass of pure water as compared with drinking a soda?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    That people gain weight during a diet because they don't eat enough. I still read this everyday in the forums here.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    In the last week I have heard that Dairy is not for human consumption(you can take my cheese from my cold dead hands). Carbs make you fat. Gluten makes you fat. My mom says eating after 6 makes you fat. My brain just can't handle it. I had someone tell me to do the whole 30 plan which while that seems like a decent plan. I know I won't go the next 30 days without eating a hollow chocolate bunny or 2. That is just how it is going to work for me.
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    That as you lose weight, all the fat turns into muscle.

Sadly, I believed this when I first started working out on a regular basis about five ish years ago. I also believed I needed to "tone" and that "starvation mode" was really a thing. Luckily, I've since sorted out myth from reality on a lot of subjects by reading through many forums and doing my own research. These forums have pointed me in the right direction many, many times, and still do.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Depends. A pound of each weighs the same.

Unless I'm reading your comment oddly. Or are you saying a pound of cement doesn't weigh the same as a pound of cotton?

A bucket of cement is considerably heavier than a bucket of cotton wool, which is the point.
    That a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else is not a useful piece of information and its certainly not worth the religious fanaticism its imbued with.

For a given volume, muscle is some 18% heavier than body fat.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    That a spoonful of olive oil before a heavy meal will stop your body from digesting the fat in the meal. I have friends who carry around little bottles of olive oil and measuring spoons in their purses. *blink*

Uh, no. But it may increase satiety and cause you to eat less at the meal.