Almond Milk

Options
What are the pros and cons of utilizing Almond Milk instead of diary in everyday consumption?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Unless you are allergic to milk, prety much zero. If you like it then drink it. If you don't then stick with milk. Dairy has a better nutritional profile.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I find it easier on my stomach (I don't get loud rumbling and bloating). Other than that .... I don't really think there are any??? It's less calories, I suppose. But it's also got less protein and all that
  • coconutmango16
    coconutmango16 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The only reasons I can think of to use almond milk instead of dairy milk is for ethical reasons, allergies, or if you're just trying to skimp on calories.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has considerably less protein... otherwise, that's about it.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you add up all the milk I add to coffee and my protein shake, it's probably at least 2 cups a day. Dairy tends to upset my stomach. I prefer Cashew milk. It seems creamier than Almond milk and has a more neutral flavor and only 25 calories a cup.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pro would be less calories and probably a good fat, Cons less protein and I think calcium unless fortified. I drink/use soy milk because of the protein, less fat and mine has fiber
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Pro would be less calories and probably a good fat, Cons less protein and I think calcium unless fortified. I drink/use soy milk because of the protein, less fat and mine has fiber

In the US, at least, all "milks" are fortified with vitamins a and d by law, and calcium is thrown in to pretty much all non-dairy milks for good measure. I've never seen one without it and I work in "natural" foods... but that isn't to say that one does not exist that has not been fortified with calcium.

*edited so I could live with myself.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the taste and am lactose intolerant so almond milk is a good alternative. It's also lower in calories. I think it comes down to personal preference
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    First, buy Silk brand. Dairy contains hormones, antibiotics, both of which cause you harm. Cows Milk also contains milk sugars, another unhealthy ingredient. There is no reason for humans to drink it.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like milk, but think vanilla almond milk is yummy
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I drink milk on a regular basis, but I prefer the consistency and flavor of vanilla almond milk in my smoothies.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Way less calories. ☺
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yes but the unsweetened vanilla almond milk tastes terrible on it's own or in cereal. I just can not get used to it :( I mix half almond and half cows milk in my cups of tea.
  • momnom27
    momnom27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Milk triggers my cravings for cereal, baked goods, and all the things my flabby body doesn't need right now. Unsweetened almond milk is a life saver for me. I mix it with protein powder, put it in coffee, or just have a glass when I feel munchy at night. For 30 calories & almost no sugar, you can't go wrong!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    No pros to almond milk for me - I bought some last weekend for a recipe and it cost 4 x skim cows milk and didn't taste that great.

The version I have has 7cals less than skim milk per 100ml, and less than half the protein of the milk. The skim milk does have double the sugar, but I'm not bothered by that.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I rarely buy it since it can be hard to find it without sugar and/or vanilla in a lot of stores here. That goes for all the non-dairy milks. I don't like it flavored at all. And you can't use vanilla milk in a lot of recipes because :s .

I guess the unflavored unsweetened isn't popular here so it's not stocked much.

And price is outrageous.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love it in oatmeal, as I just add some kind of nut product to mine anyway. That's pretty much all I use it in though.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    less calories. good fats
    but there is less protien.
    i liked it in baking with chocolate. or oatmeal, or cereal but went back to cow milk for the protien and bf doesn't like it
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Regular dairy creates mucous so stay away from it if you have a cold. I also heard it causes cellulite! (I don't know if that's true. But I'm not willing to be the one to try & find out!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    waterboy55 wrote: »
    What are the pros and cons of utilizing Almond Milk instead of diary in everyday consumption?

Pros: Lower calories, some people are vegan or have other ethical objections to dairy or are lactose intolerant. Some think it tastes better.

Cons: some think it tastes worse, much less protein, the calcium is from a supplement, so you might as well consume neither and take a supplement if focusing on calcium.