Pizza calories -you think this is accurate?

Options

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You couldn't have really thought an entire dominos pizza was less than 400 calories?

I did have a concern that how is that an entire pizza was 343 calories and my mom made the same remark but I kept losing weight and dropping size so I didn't look into it much. This week I only lost 1lb and less inches than I would've hoped which made me look at my diet from a new angle.

I was about to have a pizza today so i made this thread and I realized after making the thread it's for 1 slice and extra large has 10 slices.

I always keep a margin of error in my diet -I guess that's what has helped me to continue to lose weight even after this blunder.

I have 1200 calories left for the day today -I guess only 3 slices for me today.
  • viren19890
    Options
    No point in whining about lost time but I could've lost upwards of 4-5 lbs in last three weeks and i lost 2-2.5 lbs in total. SMH
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Which crust? In the US Dominos XL is only available in Brooklyn crust. You have #s for Hand tossed.

Nothing wrong with pizza. The general problem I think is people don't typically eat 1 slice, and add extra meats/cheeses. Be aware of portions, totals...
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Hello,

So I'd like to eat pizza tonight and based on this -an extra large pizza with my toppings of choice comes out to

343.55 calories . Does this seem right? Doesn't it rather seem very low? LoL my evening shake I make at home is around 600 calories and Pizza (the first item) people on weight loss are asked to quit is 343 ?

Toppings and calories are

Crust 176
    Sauce 24
    Cheese 71
    Feta 15
    Black olives 20
    Green olives 20
    green pepper 2.5
    Mushroom 3.5
    Pineapple 3.5
    Tomato 0.55

Approx 343.55 -since it's human made I know calories can go up and down a bit but still. Does this look right though?
    Here is a pdf

https://order.dominos.ca/en/assets/build/images/img/products/ca/Canadian-Nutrition-Guide-Final-Secure.pdf

Last 7 days I've lost only 1 lb -so things are slowing down and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    No point in whining about lost time but I could've lost upwards of 4-5 lbs in last three weeks and i lost 2-2.5 lbs in total. SMH

You know what, you're ahead of the game for figuring it out now and being willing to ask questions and adjust. That is worth a lot. Some people stubbornly continue with their misinformed patterns and then can't figure out why they aren't losing as much as they think they should be. Why fool yourself? Better to know and make conscious decisions about what you are or aren't going to put into your body. Is pizza always worth it? Not always, IMO, but I don't think I would be able to stick with my new way of life if it didn't include pizza once in a while. You've got this. Good luck.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It's good that you still lost weight and all, but I don't understand how anyone in their right mind would think an entire extra large pizza is 343 calories. Surely you eat other things and can use common sense to make comparisons. An average banana is around 100 calories.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with pizza. I love the taste, but to feel satisfied I need 4 slices usually, and I don't often have the luxury of blowing that many calories and not even making my protein/nutrition goals.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It's now been confirmed, but, yeah that's about it for one slice--and a relatively small slice at that. Costco pizza slices are around 770 calories per slice. That's a good benchmark.

Haha! I always use this as my benchmark too! Not perfect, but better than nothing since around here so many pizza places aren't chains, making calorie tracking hard.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options

That's still excellent progress, and now you know :)
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    It's good that you still lost weight and all, but I don't understand how anyone in their right mind would think an entire extra large pizza is 343 calories. Surely you eat other things and can use common sense to make comparisons. An average banana is around 100 calories.

Based on his picture, the OP appears to be pretty young and perhaps really new to this calorie counting concept
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

Based on his picture, the OP appears to be pretty young and perhaps really new to this calorie counting concept

He's 26. He's been posting here for well over a month now. OP's posting history shows him to be extremely confused about many things and I'm aware of that. Regardless, age and being new to calorie counting has little to do with common sense. I'm not trying to be cruel to him. As I said, in the end it's great he still lost weight, but I was baffled as to the misconception. I know I'm not the only one. Now he knows and now he can make better choices.
  • gilbyfc
    gilbyfc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You couldn't have really thought an entire dominos pizza was less than 400 calories?

agreed...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options

I don't know how much you have to lose, but if your are not quite obese your are better losing a pound a week, so 2-2.5 pounds is not far off that mark while 4-5 would be quite a bit over it meaning you would be losing lots of lean mass.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza all the time, but I usually stick with cheese only & get it from Little Caesar's because they are cheap (I can feed all 7 of us for $16). Make sure you are weighing out your slices & not just going by # of slices--they are all different sizes. If you go to the detailed information in the Domino's Cal-O-Meter, it will give you the grams for the quoted calorie amount.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Yeah ...
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I shared an extra large spicy meat pizza tonight with my hubby. It was a made up one from Walmart / asda and was approx 1600 calories. I had 3/8's approx 600 calories. Xx
  • viren19890
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

He's 26. He's been posting here for well over a month now. OP's posting history shows him to be extremely confused about many things and I'm aware of that. Regardless, age and being new to calorie counting has little to do with common sense. I'm not trying to be cruel to him. As I said, in the end it's great he still lost weight, but I was baffled as to the misconception. I know I'm not the only one. Now he knows and now he can make better choices.

lol like I said I had a doubt in my mind but because the weight kept going down I did't care to double check.
    Another reason for this nonsense on my part was due to the fact that so many things which I thought were extremely high on calories were low when checked. For example lentils that I'd make at home- I used to think they were 300-400 cals for 100 gram serving but they were down 80-100 cals lol

I've been doing calorie counting for 9 weeks and this was the biggest blunder on my part. Never again
  • viren19890
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting. So happy I was keeping a margin of error in my diet (never ate my cardio calories back) which I think made up for this excessive overload lol
    Still in such disbelief lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I guess that's why you're learning calorie counting. cheers.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I eat pizza all the time, but I usually stick with cheese only & get it from Little Caesar's because they are cheap (I can feed all 7 of us for $16). Make sure you are weighing out your slices & not just going by # of slices--they are all different sizes. If you go to the detailed information in the Domino's Cal-O-Meter, it will give you the grams for the quoted calorie amount.

Domino's has a Cal-O-Meter? That's kind of life changing news.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

Domino's has a Cal-O-Meter? That's kind of life changing news.

Yes: https://www.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/cal-o-meter.jsp