Shorties with 20 lbs to lose or less.

Options
I'm 5 feet, 143lbs and trying to get to 125. All my life I have never been able to get down into the 120's and barely made it into the 130's on Ideal Protein. I quit that diet before getting to goal because my hair was falling out and I felt weak physically.

Now I'm wanting to get to goal the sensible way. I am working out with a trainer twice a week and workout on my own 3 other days. I feel good. I'm eating better and I'm tracking everything. The weight is coming off very very slow so far. Please tell me that getting to 125 is possible with counting calories and exercise!! I need motivation and support. I don't want to go back to any fad diets. Any example of shorties out there who did this? By short I mean 5'4 and under give or take LOL.

Did you do anything differently?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Counting calories and eating at a defict does work and yes it will go slowly. You don't have much to lose and if you lose too fast it won't just be fat, but also muscle loss. .5lb / week is a perfectly normal rate of weight loss for someone who has less than 20 lbs to lose.
  • WinnieJane
    WinnieJane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and started at 144 in Sept. I am down to 128. Moderate exercise (walking or exercise bike daily) and calorie counting , with no group of food or drink excluded from my diet.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I feel the pain... I'm 5'3" and i'm stuck in the 140's... I can't seem to break it. I was at 165 pounds and got down to 145 and since then i've been in a struggle loop. And i eventually get mad and stop. (i wont this time!!)

But i'm going into 3weeks now and i'm still stuck... The first week i dropped 5 pounds (140) and in the second week i had a family emergency so... from about Tuesday-Thursday i wasn't watching what i was eating and pretty much "gained" it all back. And i'm starting over, really... this is technically my 17th day, still working out 6x a week and am REALLY starting to get back into the habit of logging all my calories. We'll see if i drop anything..
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    are you guys counting macros too? I put my stats into an online IIFYM calculator which I found a link to from this site and it showed me that I should be at 116g of protein, 58g of fat and 124 carbs.

Prior to doing this I was consuming around 150-160 carbs (mainly from 4-5 servings of fruit a day. I am going to try and stick with those numbers this week and see if it helps.

I'm eating 1425 calories and not tracking my exercise calories this week, just to see if that makes a difference. Short people I believe have a much harder time at getting to goal.
  • Trinique34
    Options
    WinnieJane wrote: »
    I am 5'3" and started at 144 in Sept. I am down to 128. Moderate exercise (walking or exercise bike daily) and calorie counting , with no group of food or drink excluded from my diet.

Thanks, it's good to know that I don't have to cut out carbs completely to get there.
    Did you find though that you had to limit certain things when getting closer to goal? In terms of quantity etc.
  • Trinique34
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    I feel the pain... I'm 5'3" and i'm stuck in the 140's... I can't seem to break it. I was at 165 pounds and got down to 145 and since then i've been in a struggle loop. And i eventually get mad and stop. (i wont this time!!)

But i'm going into 3weeks now and i'm still stuck... The first week i dropped 5 pounds (140) and in the second week i had a family emergency so... from about Tuesday-Thursday i wasn't watching what i was eating and pretty much "gained" it all back. And i'm starting over, really... this is technically my 17th day, still working out 6x a week and am REALLY starting to get back into the habit of logging all my calories. We'll see if i drop anything..

I sometimes wonder if I don't exercise if I would lose more. I find I get so hungry from exercise. I am also gaining a bit more muscle and that makes me weigh more. While I know in head that's better than flabby bouncy fat, it would still be nice to see the number on the scale go down.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", started at 160 and have got down to 131.6 without cutting anything out of my diet. I get a takeaway at least once a week, weigh pretty much all of my food, and walk a fair bit. It's taken about a year so far and I could have done it more quickly if I'd been stricter with my calories, but I love food too much to deprive myself all the time!
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Trinique34 wrote: »
    n1cholee93 wrote: »

I sometimes wonder if I don't exercise if I would lose more. I find I get so hungry from exercise. I am also gaining a bit more muscle and that makes me weigh more. While I know in head that's better than flabby bouncy fat, it would still be nice to see the number on the scale go down.

You and me both!!! I lost all my weight the first time with no exercise. Though i exercise now i still DO NOT eat back any net calories. I eat around 1,300-1,500 calories. I do an aerobic workout and on here it says i should burn roughly 300 calories (which i know is way too high) but eating 1,200 calories felt too low. And kept reading i could be putting myself into starvation mode? So i'm going to try and see how this works. I guess it's just a bunch of trial and error at this point.. But as much as i try not to get discouraged, it's starting to be..

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". I started here at the end of June at 139 pounds. By mid-February I was 109 pounds. I'm bulking now, so I'm 112 pounds. I never cut anything out of my diet at all, but I get in at least 10,000 steps per day and exercise for at least 30 minutes almost every day. I eat a large thin crust BBQ chicken pizza at least once a week.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3" and started out weighing 146lbs. got down to 118lbs. currently 126lbs. I think 120lbs was my best weight. I have been doing a lot of walking lately and biking to work but just don't seem to be getting down to 118lbs as easily as the first time around. I am active most days. I kinda give myself a day of during weekend.. and then get back with being more mindful. What I am beginning to realise is that I do need to be a bit more focused to see my results and felt a lot more freerer buying clothes when I weighed 120lb ..
  • gettingback1
    gettingback1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5" 1' and I'm trying to lose 20-25lbl. I gained after eating out to much and not hitting the gym too often. Anyway, I'm one week into eating better and workouting more. It's a slow process from my past experience I can tell you lose weight.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10" (on a good day) and since August have lost from 138 to 110 by counting calories and exercising (and getting my thyroid medicated).
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and started at 160. I got down to 133ish last year, but I got sick for a few months and it threw everything off and I went back up to 155. So I restarted everything this January. I'm about 141ish right now. I stick to calorie counting for weight loss, and do pole dancing for fitness. I'm shooting for around 125-128. I lose between .5-1lb a week, which is safe.

Calorie counting is definitely going to give you the results that you want. I do recommend that after you lose about 10-15 pounds you reevaluate your calorie goal b/c it's going to be lower since you don't weigh as much.

Make sure you invest in a digital food scale to make sure that you are actually eating the proper serving size. When you have less to lose, you do have to be more precise with your calorie intake.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and I'm hovering between 127-129 right now. I lost 85 lbs. Didn't cut out any foods, I eat candy and cookies daily! Lots of carbs. :) I do have to work hard to meet protein goals and don't always do it. I feel better when I'm getting enough protein. I work out 6 days a week and eat back half of my estimated calories. I weigh my food and log as accurately as I can. I go back and forth between wanting to go to maintenance and wanting to lose another 5 lbs. I think I might just keep on working towards the low 120s.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! 5'3, 143. Trying to get down to the low 120's. Just getting into the 20's again will be nice. I'm on week 3 of c25k and also go to boxing class 3-4 times a week. Not planning on giving up any carbs, but most of mine come from fruit. Netting 1,300 calories and macros are 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat. Good luck to all!!
  • MalkienChrysantheum
    MalkienChrysantheum Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5'2" here. And, my lowest weight as an adult was 114 or so that I know of. I've never been 110 or below, which is what I am aiming for now as something permanent! I have mostly been in the 120's and 130's. Now, I'm in the high 120's.

What I'm doing differently?
    1.) Being consistent with diet and exercise and not coming up with lame excuses as before. I have a mindset that NOW is the time and just keeping going until I reach my goal instead of stopping somewhere along the way and becoming complacent.
    2.) Doing it for ME and forgetting comparisons to everyone else and what anyone else wants for me. I've dated a lot of guys and most really liked me as I was and a few wanted me thinner and others wanted me heavier. Some girls were vocal about how I looked like I needed to eat more without my solicitation; I'm just fine-boned so it gives that illusion even though I'm in the healthy range of weight. I have to remind myself that I have to do what will ultimately make me very happy and not settle for anything less.
  • MalkienChrysantheum
    MalkienChrysantheum Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Ignore some of those hunger pangs! Those are just your body telling you that if you don't eat, it will start using your fat storage for energy, which is what you want! I promise you that when you wait through those hunger pangs, they will go way gradually or eventually and not get stronger and stronger, but up to a certain point. Drink water/ 0 calorie tea to hydrate and/or eat fibrous veggies (not starchy) to fill up without adding additional cals when you feel hungry sometimes.
  • Trinique34
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their comments.
    My trainer allows a cheat meal once a week, yesterday I had one and tried my hardest to make smart choices. I still logged everything and was around 2000 cals for the day, without including my workout with her.

Did you guys have a "cheat" meal once a week? I think this will be my last one because I didn't feel too right mentally after eating it.
  • stepladder49
    stepladder49 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 started at 142, currently 129, goal is 115-120. Please add me!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft and 67 years young. I started at 161lbs and am now 125lbs with another 13lbs to go. Yes of course you can get into the 120s. I eat what I like [luckily I love vegetables] and have a treat most days. I do exercise bike, walking and gardening for exercise.