Options
For the past 2 weeks, I have been doing the following, and plan to continue it:

Mon-40min kettlebell strength
Tuesday- 60 min leisurely walk or elliptical
Weds- 60 min double stroller walk with hiit intervals for 20 min
Thurs- 40min kettlebell strength
Fri- 60 min leisurely walk or elliptical
Saturday- 60 min double stroller walk with hiit intervals for 20 min
Sunday- 20k steps (marching on the spot or while doing daily activities)

I typically burn 3000 calories as my tdee and eat back 2000 though I'll be eating more to create a deficit of 500 calories. Does this routine seem on to shed the fat and gain strength? I can't sit still so in off days, I go for a walk where my heart rate doesn't sky rocket. Is this too much? I feel ok tiredness wise but find that I keep getting a cold for some reason which is very rate for me but has been happening throughout the two weeks. Surely that's just coincidence?

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So you've trained everyday for 14 days, you're feeling under the weather for that same duration and you think its coincidence? I think your body is trying to tell you something.
    Rest days as just as important as training days, if your burning 3000kcal as your TDEE I would question weather its a necessary to do an hours walk on top of that on your days "off".

I always go with if my head and body is fresh on a rest day, light cardio is fine. I commute by bicycle so on my rest days I tend to have 40 minutes on the bike. Its possible but I do begin to tire and feel my immune system weaken, you will burn out if you ignore your bodies warning signs. Take a rest day it wont hurt.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Unlikely to be a sensible routine, what are your goals, what is your current situation?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Why are you not factoring in any rest days? There should be one rest day at the very least. I've trained for an Ironman triathlon doing 15+ hours of training a week and didn't wear myself out, but I had rest days.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Having a cold is a good sign that you're overtraining.

That said, the routine doesn't seem bad at all. The issue is whether you are fit enough for the routine - if prior to that you were not doing anything, then it's probably too much.

I haven't had a rest day in a few years (even training on Christmas Day). I am just careful with which area I focus on so I give one area time to recover. For instance, yesterday, I played 2 hours of tennis so my glutes are quite tired; I won't be training legs today (although I will do some calf work as they don't feel too bad).
  • thebluetick
    thebluetick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It could just be a cold.

It depends on where you are starting from. I do 20-40 mins exercise every day starting from a position of nothing. I am following a program that incorporates "active rest" (which is more beneficial than doing nothing) and increases intensity over time.

If you can do 40 mins of kettle bells you are not doing effective exercise - try lifting to failure - take 1-2 minutes rest up to 5 sets. (Failure will reduce on each set) or mix with press-ups, triceps dip.

When I do 20 mins Hiit, i wouldn't expect to do 60 minutes moderate to fast walking, maybe a 20 minute stroll. Try breaking these activities across different days using the walking day as a rest day. Also try mixing the exercises up, jumping jacks, burpees, running up and down the stairs (sets of 10 times up and down) will work different muscle groups and give the others chance to recover whilst increasing overall fitness.

Shorter intense exercise is more beneficial and effective in burning calories. (I've been able to burn 400 calories (based on heart rate an vo2 max data) in 20mins with intensive interval training.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I typically burn 3000 calories as my tdee and eat back 2000 though I'll be eating more to create a deficit of 500 calories. Does this routine seem on to shed the fat and gain strength? I can't sit still so in off days, I go for a walk where my heart rate doesn't sky rocket. Is this too much? I feel ok tiredness wise but find that I keep getting a cold for some reason which is very rate for me but has been happening throughout the two weeks. Surely that's just coincidence?

The walks with stroller or without are not really "workouts", not for a healthy person your age. So, what I am basically seeing is normal activity level for a mother of young kids, plus 2 strength training sessions per week. 1 hour or more walking was pretty much typical when my kids where babies, and many other mothers have similar routines when the weather permits it. At least where I live. So, unless you are extremely out of shape, as in was in bedrest for a while, no, this will nto have you burn out.
    As a side note, unless you are very obese, your TDEE with this sort of workouts is not 3000
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why are people harping on rest days when half of her routine is walking? Are you prescribing wheelchair use for every other day?

And she's getting a cold? It's only been two weeks on this routine. That's not nearly enough data to say that she's overtraining (by walking, no less). People get colds in March all the time so let's not read too much into it. Plus overtraining is usually just under eating, which brings me to my 3rd point.

As for the OP, 3000 calories seems generous for your daily burn, unless very tall, muscular, or obese. Trying to cut on 2000-2500 calories might require you to take another look at your stats to make sure you have it correct.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Seems a moderate routine to me - see no reason you should burnout.

Will it shed fat? - That comes from a calorie deficit not any particular exercise.

Will you gain strength? - Depends on where you are starting from and how your workouts are. I've seen pathetic/pointless kettlebell workouts and also seen really challenging and effective ones.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Why are people harping on rest days when half of her routine is walking? Are you prescribing wheelchair use for every other day?

And she's getting a cold? It's only been two weeks on this routine. That's not nearly enough data to say that she's overtraining (by walking, no less). People get colds in March all the time so let's not read too much into it. Plus overtraining is usually just under eating, which brings me to my 3rd point.

As for the OP, 3000 calories seems generous for your daily burn, unless very tall, muscular, or obese. Trying to cut on 2000-2500 calories might require you to take another look at your stats to make sure you have it correct.

+1

I don't think your workout is overly strenuous at all.

Plus I agree about the 3000 but we need to know your stats
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited March 2016
    Options

I wouldn't quiet describe it as "harping on" but if you look at the breakdown of her days

All days highlighted train legs, whether she is walking or running is irreverent, muscle fibres in the legs tear and require time to recover, during what period is this likely in her routine?
    If her average TDEE is 3000, she is already walking/stepping a lot and that's why people are "harping on".

That's very true lots pf people do start to come down with colds around this time of year but how many of them continue a 7 day week training schedule whilst feeling symptoms? No-one is saying it can't be done, like others have stated it is possible but you have to build up to training so repetitively and listen to your body when it speaks to you.
    I know regardless of cold or burnout, if I begin to take ill or have symptoms, I'll rest and come back stronger. I wont allow myself to get weaker and potentially take longer off.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    And surely "overtraining" is all relative to ones base fitness level. If she comes to this routine from a completely sedentary background she is more likely to require rest than someone doing this routine coming from a strong strength and fitness base.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine. That's not a strenuous load.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I wouldn't quiet describe it as "harping on" but if you look at the breakdown of her days

All days highlighted train legs, whether she is walking or running is irreverent, muscle fibres in the legs tear and require time to recover, during what period is this likely in her routine?
    If her average TDEE is 3000, she is already walking/stepping a lot and that's why people are "harping on".

That's very true lots pf people do start to come down with colds around this time of year but how many of them continue a 7 day week training schedule whilst feeling symptoms? No-one is saying it can't be done, like others have stated it is possible but you have to build up to training so repetitively and listen to your body when it speaks to you.
    I know regardless of cold or burnout, if I begin to take ill or have symptoms, I'll rest and come back stronger. I wont allow myself to get weaker and potentially take longer off.

Leisurly wallk, taking your kids for a walk with their stroller and doing your daily activities (so 5 days out of 7) do not really train any body part. If these had to be classified as exercise, it would be mild cardio at best. If a 30 year old person is getting ill from the stress of such activities and requires rest days from normal everyday life, this means she needs to get a dr appointment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

When did walking become leg training? Or running, for that matter?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Agreed. I walk a lot and my fitbit usually tells me that I burn 2800-3600 calories a day, but I definitely can't eat 2600 and lose; it's overestimating my burns. I eat more on the weekends, but I probably average 2000-2200 to lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I think it seems reasonable to me, other than the kettlebell workouts and a few days of HIIT, you're mostly doing what would primarily be daily general activity....walking is a great activity, but it's not a strenuous workout that you need to worry about IMO.

You're probably just catching a cold.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited March 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Leisurly wallk, taking your kids for a walk with their stroller and doing your daily activities (so 5 days out of 7) do not really train any body part. If these had to be classified as exercise, it would be mild cardio at best. If a 30 year old person is getting ill from the stress of such activities and requires rest days from normal everyday life, this means she needs to get a dr appointment.

Followed by 20 minutes HIIT? That is 1hr leisurely walking followed by 20 minutes of training in a heart rate zone of 70 to 90%, those other two walking days are not leisurely strolls with the children (I'm assuming due to her choice of either walking or using the elliptical) I think you are missing the point, who said she was tired solely from 1 hr walks? Its the collective not everyday life activities.

Don't be naive Dav, you don't have to have 20kg plates in your hands to be training. Training doesn't always mean weight training, you can train with any form of exercise using weights is only one of them. Do Olympic sprinters only squat to perfect their game? No they run. Do marathon walkers only dumbbell lunge or do you think they train by walking also?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • CollieFit
    Options

Running doesn't qualify as training now?