Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Why are people harping on rest days when half of her routine is walking? Are you prescribing wheelchair use for every other day?

And she's getting a cold? It's only been two weeks on this routine. That's not nearly enough data to say that she's overtraining (by walking, no less). People get colds in March all the time so let's not read too much into it. Plus overtraining is usually just under eating, which brings me to my 3rd point.

As for the OP, 3000 calories seems generous for your daily burn, unless very tall, muscular, or obese. Trying to cut on 2000-2500 calories might require you to take another look at your stats to make sure you have it correct.

I wouldn't quiet describe it as "harping on" but if you look at the breakdown of her days
    Mon-40min kettlebell strength
    Tuesday- 60 min leisurely walk or elliptical
    Weds- 60 min double stroller walk with hiit intervals for 20 min
    Thurs- 40min kettlebell strength
    Fri- 60 min leisurely walk or elliptical
    Saturday- 60 min double stroller walk with hiit intervals for 20 min
    Sunday- 20k steps (marching on the spot or while doing daily activities)

All days highlighted train legs, whether she is walking or running is irreverent, muscle fibres in the legs tear and require time to recover, during what period is this likely in her routine?
    If her average TDEE is 3000, she is already walking/stepping a lot and that's why people are "harping on".

That's very true lots pf people do start to come down with colds around this time of year but how many of them continue a 7 day week training schedule whilst feeling symptoms? No-one is saying it can't be done, like others have stated it is possible but you have to build up to training so repetitively and listen to your body when it speaks to you.
    I know regardless of cold or burnout, if I begin to take ill or have symptoms, I'll rest and come back stronger. I wont allow myself to get weaker and potentially take longer off.

When did walking become leg training? Or running, for that matter?

Running doesn't qualify as training now?

He's saying they're it's not leg training...he's not implying that running isn't training...he's saying it's not "leg day." I cycle and lift, but I don't consider cycling to be "leg training"...it's cycling. I also don't think walking is "training"...I certainly don't consider taking my boys to the zoo and walking around for three or four hours to be some kind of "training" that I need to take rest days from.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think that looks great, as long as you feel fine. Your cold is likely just a cold -- it is that time of year. People have walked miles and miles a day for millennia without 'overtraining,' so you probably can, too!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why are people harping on rest days when half of her routine is walking? Are you prescribing wheelchair use for every other day?

And she's getting a cold? It's only been two weeks on this routine. That's not nearly enough data to say that she's overtraining (by walking, no less). People get colds in March all the time so let's not read too much into it. Plus overtraining is usually just under eating, which brings me to my 3rd point.

As for the OP, 3000 calories seems generous for your daily burn, unless very tall, muscular, or obese. Trying to cut on 2000-2500 calories might require you to take another look at your stats to make sure you have it correct.

I wouldn't quiet describe it as "harping on" but if you look at the breakdown of her days

All days highlighted train legs, whether she is walking or running is irreverent, muscle fibres in the legs tear and require time to recover, during what period is this likely in her routine?
    If her average TDEE is 3000, she is already walking/stepping a lot and that's why people are "harping on".

That's very true lots pf people do start to come down with colds around this time of year but how many of them continue a 7 day week training schedule whilst feeling symptoms? No-one is saying it can't be done, like others have stated it is possible but you have to build up to training so repetitively and listen to your body when it speaks to you.
    I know regardless of cold or burnout, if I begin to take ill or have symptoms, I'll rest and come back stronger. I wont allow myself to get weaker and potentially take longer off.

So in your experience, when someone says that it's leg training day, they lace up some shoes and go for a run?
  • DavPul
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Leisurly wallk, taking your kids for a walk with their stroller and doing your daily activities (so 5 days out of 7) do not really train any body part. If these had to be classified as exercise, it would be mild cardio at best. If a 30 year old person is getting ill from the stress of such activities and requires rest days from normal everyday life, this means she needs to get a dr appointment.

Followed by 20 minutes HIIT? That is 1hr leisurely walking followed by 20 minutes of training in a heart rate zone of 70 to 90%, those other two walking days are not leisurely strolls with the children (I'm assuming due to her choice of either walking or using the elliptical) I think you are missing the point, who said she was tired solely from 1 hr walks? Its the collective not everyday life activities.

Don't be naive Dav, you don't have to have 20kg plates in your hands to be training. Training doesn't always mean weight training, you can train with any form of exercise using weights is only one of them. Do Olympic sprinters only squat to perfect their game? No they run. Do marathon walkers only dumbbell lunge or do you think they train by walking also?

So do you think the OP's walking and running daya are on the par (relative to her current ability) of a Olympic sprinter or marathon runner's track day workout? And that she's not recovering from them on 3000 calories a day?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

So in your experience, when someone says that it's leg training day, they lace up some shoes and go for a run?

The issue here is we're not talking just about weight training we're talking about exercise load per se. You know nothing about the OPs base level of strength or fitness. As a consequence you're not really in a position to determine whether what she is presently doing is doing too much too soon or not.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Followed by 20 minutes HIIT?

Given the rest of the profile there isn't a remote chance that what's described as HIIT is actually HIIT. At a stretch it might be running intervals.

The routine as described is pretty gentle. It's not going to burn someone out, but equally with a 2500cal daily intake it's unlikely to contribute much to weight loss either.
  • cwolfman13
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Followed by 20 minutes HIIT?

Given the rest of the profile there isn't a remote chance that what's described as HIIT is actually HIIT. At a stretch it might be running intervals.

The routine as described is pretty gentle. It's not going to burn someone out, but equally with a 2500cal daily intake it's unlikely to contribute much to weight loss either.

Yeah, pretty much....

When people tell me they're doing HIIT, I take that with a pretty big grain of salt in general...HIIT doesn't accurately describe what they're doing in many, if not most cases...and yeah, the OP's routine here looks perfectly fine and relatively gentle. The notion that she's over training legs is kind of out there IMO...even for someone who's a beginner.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same myself... Alternating between walking + hiit, and strength training. Rest days are every other day for the portion of the routine.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Leisurly wallk, taking your kids for a walk with their stroller and doing your daily activities (so 5 days out of 7) do not really train any body part. If these had to be classified as exercise, it would be mild cardio at best. If a 30 year old person is getting ill from the stress of such activities and requires rest days from normal everyday life, this means she needs to get a dr appointment.

Followed by 20 minutes HIIT? That is 1hr leisurely walking followed by 20 minutes of training in a heart rate zone of 70 to 90%, those other two walking days are not leisurely strolls with the children (I'm assuming due to her choice of either walking or using the elliptical) I think you are missing the point, who said she was tired solely from 1 hr walks? Its the collective not everyday life activities.

Don't be naive Dav, you don't have to have 20kg plates in your hands to be training. Training doesn't always mean weight training, you can train with any form of exercise using weights is only one of them. Do Olympic sprinters only squat to perfect their game? No they run. Do marathon walkers only dumbbell lunge or do you think they train by walking also?

So do you think the OP's walking and running daya are on the par (relative to her current ability) of a Olympic sprinter or marathon runner's track day workout? And that she's not recovering from them on 3000 calories a day?

Come on Dav, you know exactly that I didn't mean that. My point is any type of exercise is a form of training, you don't need weights. Shes training on average an hour a day, I think its fairly obvious she isn't training for Rio. I don't know why its so hard for you to comprehend that people actually train weight free. I lift weights 1 in 5 weeks, but that doesn't mean I don't train for the other 4 weeks haha.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

He's saying they're it's not leg training...he's not implying that running isn't training...he's saying it's not "leg day." I cycle and lift, but I don't consider cycling to be "leg training"...it's cycling. I also don't think walking is "training"...I certainly don't consider taking my boys to the zoo and walking around for three or four hours to be some kind of "training" that I need to take rest days from.

I completely agree with you, I don't consider my cycling as "leg day". Its cardio, plain and simple but the main muscle group used is legs. So my legs are being exercised/trained, it doesn't matter what way you look at it.
    Again, I completely agree. I don't have kids so luckily I've yet to experience the need for a rest day after hours of running around after the kids but OP states she does HIIT for 20 minutes after these leisurely strolls. Without the 20 minutes, I wouldn't personally class it as training day but its certainly not a rest day. HIIT aint for everyone.
  • DavPul
    edited March 2016
    Options

The issue here is we're not talking just about weight training we're talking about exercise load per se. You know nothing about the OPs base level of strength or fitness. As a consequence you're not really in a position to determine whether what she is presently doing is doing too much too soon or not[/b].

If we're not going to make some basic assumptions what are we even going to talk about in here?
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Come on Dav, you know exactly that I didn't mean that. My point is any type of exercise is a form of training, you don't need weights. Shes training on average an hour a day, I think its fairly obvious she isn't training for Rio. I don't know why its so hard for you to comprehend that people actually train weight free. I lift weights 1 in 5 weeks, but that doesn't mean I don't train for the other 4 weeks haha.

I completely agree with you, I don't consider my cycling as "leg day". Its cardio, plain and simple but the main muscle group used is legs. So my legs are being exercised/trained, it doesn't matter what way you look at it.
    Again, I completely agree. I don't have kids so luckily I've yet to experience the need for a rest day after hours of running around after the kids but OP states she does HIIT for 20 minutes after these leisurely strolls. Without the 20 minutes, I wouldn't personally class it as training day but its certainly not a rest day. HIIT aint for everyone.

So someone who works legs one day in the gym and then cycles the next is overtraining their legs?...*kitten*...I've been *kitten* up for over three years then I guess...

In my experience, when most people tell me they're doing HIIT and then actually describe to me what they're doing...it's rarely HIIT.
  • DavPul
    Options

So someone who works legs one day in the gym and then cycles the next is overtraining their legs?...*kitten*...I've been *kitten* up for over three years then I guess...

In my experience, when most people tell me they're doing HIIT and then actually describe to me what they're doing...it's rarely HIIT.

This. So much this. It's like when someone says they took a 50 minute tabata class at their gym. Nah bro. It might have been a great class. Probably an *kitten* kicker. But you ain't do no 50 minutes of actual tabatas.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^Truth. HIIT has gotten so much hype in magazines and media, but few people seem to realize what it really is and even fewer are actually doing it. The "HI" part of HIIT stands for "High Intensity". So basically, unless you're seeing spots, gasping for breath and holding back your puke at the end of the workout, it isn't HIIT. If you're doing it for longer than 30 minutes (with warmups and cooldowns included in that time), it isn't HIIT. It may be aerobic interval training, but not HIIT.

So basically we have the OP doing two kettlebell strength workouts a week and walking the other 5 days. I think it's safe to say that the worries of overtraining are pretty minimal.
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OP - No that seems like a moderate program unless you are starting from completely sedentary. If you have kids that's the more likely cause of your cold ;)
    Maybe you can clarify for everyone what you are doing for your HIIT work outs to give us more information. If, on your high intensity intervals, you're really pushing to the point of gasping for breath/heart pounding in your ears than that's different than increasing your pace so that you are breathing just a little harder you know?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This. So much this. It's like when someone says they took a 50 minute tabata class at their gym. Nah bro. It might have been a great class. Probably an *kitten* kicker. But you ain't do no 50 minutes of actual tabatas.

Actually OP wrote she is doing "60 min double stroller walk with hiit intervals for 20 min". Which sounds suspiciously like jogging intervals while walking with a stroller. Which the average person these days apparently considers HIIT ;) If it has intervals, it has to be HIIT.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For the past 2 weeks, I have been doing the following, and plan to continue it:

I typically burn 3000 calories as my tdee and eat back 2000 though I'll be eating more to create a deficit of 500 calories. Does this routine seem on to shed the fat and gain strength? I can't sit still so in off days, I go for a walk where my heart rate doesn't sky rocket. Is this too much? I feel ok tiredness wise but find that I keep getting a cold for some reason which is very rate for me but has been happening throughout the two weeks. Surely that's just coincidence?

If you are feeling OK doing it now, you should be OK longer term. But if you are eating in a deficit, sometimes the training takes time and at some point catches up with you.

Knowing the intensity and fitness levels you are at now would be a big help. If your HIIT intervals are in fact hard high intensity intervals, the one suggestion I would have is to not do that before a strength day, so maybe swap your Tuesday and Wednesday. But that also depends on how hard both the HIIT and kettlebell workouts are.

I do agree with the general statement that the term HIIT is over used and the term is somewhat grey area. But I think that goes both ways, with some considering all intervals HIIT and others thinking all true HIIT will make you puke. I did a true Tabata HIIT using power measures and was no where close to puke level, and did it after some body weight stuff and 3 miles of steady state cardio at a mid level (10 minute mile) pace. And I don't consider myself any type of elite athlete, even on the amateur level. Many HIIT programs have some basis on your normal output and as such abilities, so they would scale with the individual.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Gosh I didn't mean for this to turn into a thing
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    In terms of me not burning 3k calories, I'll give you a typical example. Yesterday, I walked 9.5 miles according to my Fitbit. 21k steps. That was during a brisk hour walk and then stepping all around the place
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    [i wrote out a really long reply addressing some of the questions that were asked but I can't see that it's posted it!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Every bit of this.

Rest days are subject to an individual. Generally walking and eliptical isn't something you need a rest day from. There are ways to lift weights or even run every day if you wanted to.