Should i try the military diet?

Sorry for the frequent posting, and if something like this has been posted before. But i have been reading a lot about the military diet and wanted to see if any of you guys have tried it and how did it work for you. I've read mixed reviews, but it seems like to me that the pros outweigh the cons.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    No! Eat a sensible calorie intake and add some exercise, you will be successful. There are no short cuts.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    So what are the pros of starving yourself eating all the wrong foods to lose a few pounds of water weight?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2016
    What is about this diet that makes you think that the pros outweigh the cons? Is it the "magical" food combinations, or the fact that it has absolutely no affiliation with the military?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    You don't have to do anything like that. It's not that complicated! Simply weigh/log all your foods properly and stay within your daily limit. That's all it takes!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    In your last post you said you changed from low carb because of too many restrictions.
    The "military diet" is very restrictive, not associated with any military, and if I remember correctly not healthy at all.

I think you should just start logging your food here. Don't try to make this more complicated than it has to be.
    - Log your food/drinks everyday for the next month (seriously everything that passes your lips)
    - Use a food scale for solid foods for increased accuracy (less clean up then measuring cups)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    No military in the world would do this to their soldiers, so why would you inflict it on yourself?
  • Kaelan1995
    Kaelan1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Well the pros seem to be that you lose 10 pounds in 3 days without gaining the weight back. The website says that if you eat 1,500 calories a day after the diet, then you will keep the weight off. The main "con" for me is that i'm afraid i will get so hungry that i will eat more than i'm supposed to and gain the weight back. Because my fitness pal recommends around 2,600 calories for me a day and eating 1100 calories less than that probably won't be good for me in the long run. But then again, I've heard that my fitness pal recommends more calories than you're supposed to have a day. And if you read my last post, then you will see that my weight is at a stand still. So i am trying to switch it up and find something that really works for ME.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Stop going for quick fixes like low-carb and the military diet and just start eating at a calorie deficit.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    Stop going for quick fixes like low-carb and the military diet and just start eating at a calorie deficit.
    A calorie deficit is much easier to follow than those ridiculous diets, as well.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    No. Just, no.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Should I try the military diet?

No, you shouldn't.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Kaelan1995 wrote: »
    Well the pros seem to be that you lose 10 pounds in 3 days without gaining the weight back. The website says that if you eat 1,500 calories a day after the diet, then you will keep the weight off. The main "con" for me is that i'm afraid i will get so hungry that i will eat more than i'm supposed to and gain the weight back. Because my fitness pal recommends around 2,600 calories for me a day and eating 1100 calories less than that probably won't be good for me in the long run. But then again, I've heard that my fitness pal recommends more calories than you're supposed to have a day. And if you read my last post, then you will see that my weight is at a stand still. So i am trying to switch it up and find something that really works for ME.

But you also admitted to not logging and keeping track in your head. I don't know about you, but for me that would lead me to forgetting things and as such consuming more calories than I thought.

I've never read that MFP gives too many base calories. Most of the time I read about it giving too few base calories and overestimating on exercise burns.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Kaelan1995 wrote: »

Does the diet provide a calorie deficit of 35 000 in those three days? How much ARE you eating now?

Does "if you eat 1,500 calories a day after the diet, then you will keep the weight off" sound more reliable to you than "eat at a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories per day and lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way"? If you feel that you are eating too much, why don't you just reduce the amount you are eating, insted of eating almost nothing, especially when you know that you are going to eat too much after you've eaten too little?

You know that "the military diet" is a hoax? I'm sure you have read the links now.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2016
    You might lose 10 pounds in 3 days, but it will be water weight. I don't see how they can possibly guarantee that you won't gain that back. And I don't know how they can say that 1500 is a magic number for everyone. I have to eat less than that to lose weight. You might have to eat less, or you might be able to eat more, and by eating 1500 you might be depriving yourself and getting hungry to the point where you binge.

And, as others have said, if accurate logging is an issue for you, how will you know that you're eating 1500 or 1800 or 2000?

But go ahead and try it. I'm sure it'll work out great.
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Hey
    So I've tried the military diet before and yes everyone we all know it makes perfect sense to log in calories etc but sometimes you feel like you need an extra push and there's nothing wrong inquiring about something you've seen. Anyways, the whole lose 10lbs in 3 days is both unrealistic and does not apply to this diet whatsoever. The most I've lost was 5 lbs and like any other "quick fix" you do gain it back if you go back to old eating habits. I stopped any set diets but every now and then when I hate a plateau I would try something to get me over a hump but nothing over 3 days whether it's a detox, fruit or any kind of fad diet.

Hope this helps.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Nalgh94 wrote: »
    Hey
    So I've tried the military diet before and yes everyone we all know it makes perfect sense to log in calories etc but sometimes you feel like you need an extra push and there's nothing wrong inquiring about something you've seen. Anyways, the whole lose 10lbs in 3 days is both unrealistic and does not apply to this diet whatsoever. The most I've lost was 5 lbs and like any other "quick fix" you do gain it back if you go back to old eating habits. I stopped any set diets but every now and then when I hate a plateau I would try something to get me over a hump but nothing over 3 days whether it's a detox, fruit or any kind of fad diet.

Hope this helps.

I think the reason why some people, including myself, are being so direct about it is because we are familiar with the OP. Not even 24 hours ago, he made a post about how low-carb didn't work for him and he wants to find a solution. People mentioned counting calories, as it is a huge part of what MFP is about. Now he's posting about another quick-fix diet. It gets a bit frustrating to see after a while. If he'd just actually eat at a deficit and give accurate logging a chance, he'd see results. Period.
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Hey

Hope this helps.

I think the reason why some people, including myself, are being so direct about it is because we are familiar with the OP. Not even 24 hours ago, he made a post about how low-carb didn't work for him and he wants to find a solution. People mentioned counting calories, as it is a huge part of what MFP is about. Now he's posting about another quick-fix diet. It gets a bit frustrating to see after a while. If he'd just actually eat at a deficit and give accurate logging a chance, he'd see results. Period.

I've seen so many direct responses that have scared me personally from posting any questions, maybe there's some history that I wasn't aware of; I just felt it was a legitimate question as I've been frustrated various times with plateaus even though I stick to calorie counting instead of fad diets now.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Hey

Hope this helps.

I've seen so many direct responses that have scared me personally from posting any questions, maybe there's some history that I wasn't aware of; I just felt it was a legitimate question as I've been frustrated various times with plateaus even though I stick to calorie counting instead of fad diets now.

Many people appreciate hearing the truth. I'd rather be told directly from someone who looked like they knew what they were talking about than given blind support from a faceless cheerleader.

I know that approach doesn't work for everyone, but it does for many on these forums.