1200 Cals ??

Options
2»

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    cathed42 wrote: »
    I've been on it 34 days and I've lost 14lbs it wasn't easy at first but now I am always under the 1200 and don't usually feel hungry

Same, after two weeks eating 1200 I lost the hungrys.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    jlcnuke wrote: »
    mo7hy wrote: »
    Could it be a metabolism thing? I still manage to put weight on at 1200. I only seem to lose weight at between 700 and 900.

No! There is no one that has such low BMR... eating under 1200 for women and 1500 for men is unhealthy and dangerous. Do not suggest that to others and stop doing it yourself.

You shouldn't make statements like this as you are obviously not that person's doctor. There are people with metabolism's that are significantly different from the norms (though rare). If a person is finding difficulty losing weight with the "normal" methods they should be advised to discuss their weight loss goals and eating habits with a medical professional that can assess that person's health conditions and provide professional, educated advice on how to proceed.

Due to a medical condition, my mother is (per doctor's orders) on a meal plan that only includes 700 calories to maintain her current weight (not lose weight, to maintain it).

While it is unlikely that the average person has a medical condition that would necessitate such usual dietary needs, none of us is the physician for a random person from the internet that we've never met.

If we take extreme and highly unlikely scenarios out of equation we can safely say that adult female needs 1200 as a minimum and adult male 1500 as a minimum. 5 month old baby needs about 600 kcal...1 year old about 850 and 3 year olds 1300...just to put things in perspective.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jlcnuke wrote: »
    Could it be a metabolism thing? I still manage to put weight on at 1200. I only seem to lose weight at between 700 and 900.

No! There is no one that has such low BMR... eating under 1200 for women and 1500 for men is unhealthy and dangerous. Do not suggest that to others and stop doing it yourself.

You shouldn't make statements like this as you are obviously not that person's doctor. There are people with metabolism's that are significantly different from the norms (though rare). If a person is finding difficulty losing weight with the "normal" methods they should be advised to discuss their weight loss goals and eating habits with a medical professional that can assess that person's health conditions and provide professional, educated advice on how to proceed.

Due to a medical condition, my mother is (per doctor's orders) on a meal plan that only includes 700 calories to maintain her current weight (not lose weight, to maintain it).

While it is unlikely that the average person has a medical condition that would necessitate such usual dietary needs, none of us is the physician for a random person from the internet that we've never met.

If we take extreme and highly unlikely scenarios out of equation we can safely say that adult female needs 1200 as a minimum and adult male 1500 as a minimum. 5 month old baby needs about 600 kcal...1 year old about 850 and 3 year olds 1300...just to put things in perspective.

^^this is general too. There are other factors. Gender, age, activity level, genetics, health issues. I lost on 1200. I lost over 1/2 of my current body weight and have been maintaining for over 2 years on 1600 calories. Anything more than 1600 and I begin to gain. General guidelines are just that, general. As with most things related to weight, most people have to experiment a little to find what works for them, with a health care professionals direction and involvement.

Eating less calories than you burn results in weight loss for most people, the numbers are individual.

• laur4795
    laur4795 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking it for the last six years using various databases and methods. I'm a fulltime baker so MFP recommends 2600, but like I said even as low as 1200 I'm still putting on weight. I'm not recommending it to anyone, but the only way I've been able able to lose weight is below 1000. Currently using MFP's own database for the figures and at around 1400-1500 a day I've put on 2lbs in the last month.

• goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have read on a few sites (Mayo being one) that a general rule is, calories to lose weight is 10x your goal weight, ie: 1400 for 140 pounds?

thoughts?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Your profile says you are male. There are two possibilities:
    1. You are not using a food scale and are grossly underestimating your calories.
    2. You are some kind of medical miracle and need to see a doctor immediately.

Either way, your experience has nothing to do with this OP's thread. You should start your own thread, rather than confuse this one.

Being male doesn't automatically mean I don't use scales or underestimate calories. I have been a professional baker for 12 years so I understand the importance of appropriately measuring food and ingredients.

The doctor hasn't found anything yet aside from a knackered back.

I posted due to the OP's query on 1200 being too little. It fit in a way.

Sorry, I forgot to type part of what I meant, which is as a male, you should be eating a bare minimum of 1500 cals, even if you are very small for a man or very sedentary. Not that because you are male you can't log properly.

Regardless, we can't really tell the OP much more unless she comes back and provides her stats. Just because some people have done well on 1200 doesn't mean she will. I am a woman in my 40's, on the short side, and at a healthy weight, and I am eating 1800 cals to maintain my weight with light exercise. I would starve on 1200 cals and probably lose an unhealthy amount of weight.
  • kimny72
    Options
    I have read on a few sites (Mayo being one) that a general rule is, calories to lose weight is 10x your goal weight, ie: 1400 for 140 pounds?

thoughts?

I would disagree with that. Maybe if you sit on the couch all day that would be true, But I am maintaining at 130 lbs eating 1,800 cals with only light exercise. It is really easy to either use MFP or a TDEE calculator to get a good estimate of the right calories. Variables like gender, height, age, activity level all affect your calories.
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Did you eat back any exercise calories back?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

thoughts?

It really depends on how much you exercise. I'm currently doing 1700 to lose even though my goal is 118.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Thanks

Did you eat back any exercise calories back?

Yep, anywhere from 50% to 100% depending on how hungry I am :smile: . When I was trying to lose, I tried to keep close to eating back 50% just to be on the safe side.