Any Phentermine success stories?

Options
I was prescribed Phentermine yesterday along with a water pill. Today is my first day on both meds. Has anyone tried Phentermine? Success? Your thoughts?

Replies

• MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is a success or not but I took phentermine for about 6 weeks. I started losing weight and realized that I could do it without the meds. I started 5/22 and since then I have lost 54 pounds. Try using it to get started and don't plan to stay on it long. Good luck.
  • cindyharris_2
    cindyharris_2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have started a week ago. I am down 8 pounds today. I am going to use it for six months, as I have huge cravings. So far I'm doing well. I am pushing my water intake. I just started this app yesterday. Good luck to you!!!
  • HannahReiher
    HannahReiher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely would not suggest it! I lasted a week on phen but my attitude turned aggressive and my anxiety was x100. It helped me lose weight while forming great habits but overall it was a drawback.
  • jennali
    jennali Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Both my GP and Gyno suggested I try phentermine,but I am terrified. I have PCOS and while I do eat generally healthy and hit my calorie goals most days,I have zero energy and often am so exhausted that I skip exercise. Recently I have gained 20 pounds and there is no apparent reason since I literally changed nothing. I already struggle with anxiety but do not take medication for it. Has anyone who has anxiety successfully used this drug? I am afraid it will make me an angry psycho.
  • Cupp53
    Cupp53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off phentermine for awhile. It works great at first, but it starts to kind of lose its effectiveness after awhile (your body adjusts). At first I took it 1 month on and 1 month off. Now I take it 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off -- to kind of keep my body from adjusting to it so it kept working. I haven't had problems with anxiety or anything. It does reduce hunger, cravings, boosts mood and gives you energy. The worst part about it is the 3 weeks I'm off, I typically gain 3 lbs or so because the phentermine sucks water out of your system. Not only that but it zaps you, so the 3 weeks I'm off, I feel like a slug. I just have to fight through it.
  • Cupp53
    Cupp53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You still have to watch what you eat and try to stay active for the phentermine to work. You can't just continue bad habits and take it -- it won't help.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my thoughts are stay as far away from it as you can. there is no magic pill. Learn nutrition and good eating habits and you will be better off in the long run.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Phentermine yesterday along with a water pill. Today is my first day on both meds. Has anyone tried Phentermine? Success? Your thoughts?

Well the companies that make it have made a ton of money. I'd call that a success for them. As far as users go, who knows?
  • melaniealvarado1
    melaniealvarado1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Today marks my 1st week on the pill. With a gallon of water a day, briskly walking a mile daily and no sweets I am down 9 lbs! The pill really decreases your appetite. Never in my life have I forgotten to eat, lol. I have more energy and overall feel good about the first weeks results! I will continue to update!
  • melaniealvarado1
    melaniealvarado1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have started a week ago. I am down 8 pounds today. I am going to use it for six months, as I have huge cravings. So far I'm doing well. I am pushing my water intake. I just started this app yesterday. Good luck to you!!!

Great job! Whatever your doing is working. I heard a side effect was headaches but I've been pleasantly surprised!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It worked great at making my wallet lose weight.
  • cmiro2000
    cmiro2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Insurance covers
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    my thoughts are stay as far away from it as you can. there is no magic pill. Learn nutrition and good eating habits and you will be better off in the long run.

I'll second this. As a former yo-yo dieter who's spent the last year finally losing weight through a plain old healthy diet and moderate exercise, I took this years ago and it had horrible side effects and the weight came back.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    jennali wrote: »
    Both my GP and Gyno suggested I try phentermine,but I am terrified. I have PCOS and while I do eat generally healthy and hit my calorie goals most days,I have zero energy and often am so exhausted that I skip exercise. Recently I have gained 20 pounds and there is no apparent reason since I literally changed nothing. I already struggle with anxiety but do not take medication for it. Has anyone who has anxiety successfully used this drug? I am afraid it will make me an angry psycho.

I tried it for a week about 4 years ago unsuccessfully. I had a bad experience with it, I had a panic attack, except of course I didn't know that it was a panic attack at the time, I thought something was really wrong with me, like I couldn't breath and my heart was beating out of my chest! I was at work and I called my mom and she could tell right away what it was and that calmed me down! I read that most people don't have that experience unless they have underlying anxiety issues already, and although I wasn't aware of them at the time it's definitely something I struggle with now.

I'd never take it again! That was the last day I did. My mom had taken it several times, never had similar problems and always lost a lot of weight, however she always gained it back when she stopped taking it unfortunately.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    cmiro2000 wrote: »

Insurance covers

No copays for unrequired medication?

Regardless, it helps your wallet lose weight.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit. No drugs required, and it even costs you less!
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I've not used phentermine, but I did use phendemetrazine for about six months and lost over 80 pounds. It was definitely an effective tool.

• Heatherwarren0911
    Heatherwarren0911 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been on phentermine a month on friday 3/18/16 and have lost 15lbs in that month which was all "fat". They have me watching my carbs and making sure I get enough protein and I love it!! I havent had any side effects except dry mouth but that helps me with my daily water goal so i dont mind it at all. I still eat but I actually look at the label now. It has helped me with not eating everything under the roof :) I started working out this month so I cant wait to see the results now. I was told that it would make me super mean from friends but thats not the case and it also doesnt affect that I take welbutrin so thats a bonus :)
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's great for short-term weight loss(4-8 weeks) but beyond that, it just stops working. Good luck. Hope it works great for you!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RBracken34 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

I'll second this. As a former yo-yo dieter who's spent the last year finally losing weight through a plain old healthy diet and moderate exercise, I took this years ago and it had horrible side effects and the weight came back.

I'll third this...

I did weight loss pills (decades ago). I'm sure they were speed. Anyway, I lost the weight. But pills didn't teach me anything. So I yo-yo'd back to my original weight.

Op - pills can reduce your appetite, BUT you will not be taking pills forever. Pills may give you energy, BUT you will not be taking pills forever.

Some other comments........no sweets.....watching carbs........huge cravings. Everyone who loses weight....even Phen users will have to deal with these issues eventually. I won't be low carb or no sweets for the rest of my life. I measure & log a treat every single day. I manage sweets, I don't banish them.
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Like the other folks said - you have to do the work with your nutrition, exercise and mental health. If you do that while taking phentermine I am sure you be fine. From what I can tell, most people get lazy about doing the work and when the "pill" doesn't work they quit everything.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!