Taking a day off

Options
So I just finished a 46 mile bike ride and I really pushed myself pretty hard. I'm thinking I'll take the day off tomorrow with my workout, just to give my body a break. I have been working out everyday for the past month. Does anyone else take a day off after working out really hard?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have easy days. I will take a walk though.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I take a day or a week off sometimes. Sometimes you really need the mental break. This doesn't mean all out binging, just eat at maintenance, and reduce your exercise. Keep logging though, it will help you get back on the program.
  • TricksterBreeze
    TricksterBreeze Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If I burn more than six hundred calories a day, I don't stress about working out more for a day or two.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I took two super easy recovery weeks after my last meet. i needed it and it let me take down some pretty brutal programming.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I rode pretty hard today.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Haha walking is the only exercise I do, so I can't take a day off of walking by walking :tongue:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Haha walking is the only exercise I do, so I can't take a day off of walking by walking :tongue:

LOL. I take a break from hiking by walking.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If your only exercise is walking, then I'd wager that you would seldom need a rest day. Unless, of course, you were walking briskly uphill for hours on end or somesuch thing.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'm just getting back to running and I'm only going every second day to reduce my chance of injury while I get fitter again. I do try to walk a little more in my regular day on my "off" days.

I don't think there is any reason why you have to work out hard every day, in fact my understanding is that it's better to mix it up, and that rest days allow recovery (and perhaps muscle growth/development too, though I'm happy to be corrected on that one).
  • Christine_72
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If your only exercise is walking, then I'd wager that you would seldom need a rest day. Unless, of course, you were walking briskly uphill for hours on end or somesuch thing.

Yeah, I walk 7 days a week. I "Usually " hit 15kms (9 miles ) everyday. No where near the 20-40 I see some people here do. I'd definitely take a rest day if I was covering those miles!

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Nine miles per day? That's pretty darned good.

I hope that you'll consider adding other exercise, as walking only does so much. (It won't help much with strength or stamina, for example.) Still, that kind of mileage is a lot more than what most people would do.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Nine miles per day? That's pretty darned good.

I hope that you'll consider adding other exercise, as walking only does so much. (It won't help much with strength or stamina, for example.) Still, that kind of mileage is a lot more than what most people would do.

Yeah yeah :tongue: :wink: I've been saying forever that I'm going to join a gym and start weight training. I'll get there eventually. ..

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I work out a minimum of 3 days a week, sometimes 4 or 5. I don't feel guilty about taking days off from the gym, and it's good to give yourself that recovery time. It depends on one's goals, too, I suppose.
  • DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Yeah, I walk 7 days a week. I "Usually " hit 15kms (9 miles ) everyday. No where near the 20-40 I see some people here do. I'd definitely take a rest day if I was covering those miles!

How long does it take to walk the 15kms a day?
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options

How long does it take to walk the 15kms a day?

I do it in spurts throughout the day. Probably 2-21/2 hours all up. Fitbit says 159 Active minutes.

• Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Absolutely take a rest day or two when you have worked hard, I think sometimes people can underestimate the power of resting. I usually work out 5 days, rest 2 (not back to back, rest days usually a Wednesday and Friday) but sometimes I'll take one workout day easier than another. For example I was at a race yesterday so tonight will be a recovery run at a slower pace. Recently I took 5 days off because I had an issue with my right calf, went for a sports massage instead. I think most importantly listen to your body!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I did a 50k run on Saturday, took it easy yesterday and am passing on the gym today. Will be back there tomorrow though.
    Just want to give my legs that little bit of extra rest before I start up again, full rest days after a serious change to your normal workout is often needed, mentally as well as physically.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need a rest day then take it, if you feel good then don't!! It's that simple.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I never work out 7 days a week and rarely work out 4 days in a row. I take 2 rest days a week--usually on Monday and then one other day during the week. Your body needs rest days to recuperate and build the muscles up that you broke down while you were working out.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I never work out 7 days a week and rarely work out 4 days in a row. I take 2 rest days a week--usually on Monday and then one other day during the week. Your body needs rest days to recuperate and build the muscles up that you broke down while you were working out.

+1