Weight Training....

Options
I just read that you should do some weight training because it will build muscle and help you burn more fat. So.....what kind of weight training does everyone do and for how long each time.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Check the second link in my signature. It sounds like a program for guys, but it works great for women as well. Starting out it only took me 20 minutes, but I'm now up to 45 minutes due to longer rest periods between sets. it is a 3 day a week program and really simple.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes replace fat with muscles and you will burn more calories while at rest. I have a total gym that I use 3-4 times a week for about 15 mins. You can also use those reisistance bands for a great strength training workout that is inexpensive. Best of luck to you:)
  • tlerias
    tlerias Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started doing strength training as well. This is a great 10 minute body circuit training, I think its a great start for those who aren't too intense with weight training. I love it so far. I also like to do crunches on top of the planks he does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZQ4iBOFxQ
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do you just do upper body weight training? I work my legs so much with everything else I do. I am afraid it might be muscle overload.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In the past I've done conventional body part splits in the gym (chest/back, shoulders/arms, legs) all on separate days 3-4 days a week for 45mins - 1 hour per session. Lately I've been doing exclusively bodyweight and kettlebell routines due to the fact that I have limited time and a new baby in the house. Choose a commitment level that's realistic for your situation. If you have a gym membership and can allot 1 hour a day to go to the gym then by all means do that but if you don't, just do some basic bodyweight excercises (squat, push-up, pull-up, planks, dips) at home. You'd be surprised at how much you can do with very little equipment. As I've gotten older it's become more important to choose excercises that I can commit to and be consistent with than it has to have the "perfect routine". Even the most perfect strength training routines are useless if you can't commit to doing them.

That being said, if you are new to strength training focus on compound movements using your whole body. You will see much better results than if you buy some dinky dumbbell and do a bunch of bicep curls and the increase in metabolism and functional strength will work wonders for your energy and weight loss.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do one to two hours of cardio a day and an hour of weight training. Should you start there? no. However be forewarned that for many of us it's addictive.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In the past I've done conventional body part splits in the gym (chest/back, shoulders/arms, legs) all on separate days 3-4 days a week for 45mins - 1 hour per session. Lately I've been doing exclusively bodyweight and kettlebell routines due to the fact that I have limited time and a new baby in the house. Choose a commitment level that's realistic for your situation. If you have a gym membership and can allot 1 hour a day to go to the gym then by all means do that but if you don't, just do some basic bodyweight excercises (squat, push-up, pull-up, planks, dips) at home. You'd be surprised at how much you can do with very little equipment. As I've gotten older it's become more important to choose excercises that I can commit to and be consistent with than it has to have the "perfect routine". Even the most perfect strength training routines are useless if you can't commit to doing them.

That being said, if you are new to strength training focus on compound movements using your whole body. You will see much better results than if you buy some dinky dumbbell and do a bunch of bicep curls and the increase in metabolism and functional strength will work wonders for your energy and weight loss.

I'm interest in what you're doing with the kettlebell....I have one and haven't gotten stuck into it yet.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do you just do upper body weight training? I work my legs so much with everything else I do. I am afraid it might be muscle overload.
    Yes I just do upper body strength training. My legs get such a workout from the elliptical, exercise bike and treadmill plus my upper body is weak and need to tone more on my arms.
  • LieutenantJoker
    Options
    Check the second link in my signature. It sounds like a program for guys, but it works great for women as well. Starting out it only took me 20 minutes, but I'm now up to 45 minutes due to longer rest periods between sets. it is a 3 day a week program and really simple.

Crossfit for the weight-lifting beginner, especially a 5x5? Probably not where she needs to be, boss. (Edit: I didn't click the link before. Trying to sell your advice on a message board? Nice)

To OP:

You do need a comprehensive plan to make sure you're working all of your muscles at every available angle. You can state with doing 3 sets of 15 reps on all of the weight machines at your local gym if you're brand new and have no lifting experience, which is where it sounds like you're at.

Get a personal trainer session (or several would be better for both of you) and have him/her take you through a very basic set of workouts that you can do on your own. You want to ask about working with dumbbells and barbells and fundamental motions where possible. The idea is to get your comfortable with basic program building and all of the equipment at the gym. Unfortunately, there is no one right answer here as you will constantly have to rejigger your workout plan every couple of months or so to keep your body guessing.
  • nitarongish
    nitarongish Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the body burns a lot more calories at rest. I just do weights at home, different routines and also have a DVD of weights and cardio mix. Seems to work.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes I just do upper body strength training. My legs get such a workout from the elliptical, exercise bike and treadmill plus my upper body is weak and need to tone more on my arms.

I would caution against just doing upper body stuff. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body and by stimulating them with resistance training you are giving your metabolism a huge boost. The workouts you get from cardio type excercises are not doing the same thing as squats or lunges even though you are sore afterwards. But if you are doing a lot of lower body cardio on top of lower body training then it's best to spread them out so they don't fall on consecutive days to avoid feeling fatigued.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do weights after my cardio but I split it up. One day I do just upper body and then the next day I do lower.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I see a personal trainer and take what exercises he has me do and make my own routines. We do a total body routine during our sessions.. nothing too complicated. I fear that if it was, I wouldn't be able to do it on my own!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I agree with omnisis, skipping legs is a mistake. Pushing heavier resistance is a different type of workout on your legs that you're not getting on an eliptical. If you're too tired after cardio to do legs then do your resistance training first. Since you haven't been working legs you'll experience some soreness and your cardio may suffer for a week but once your body adapts you'll feel better and your cardio will improve because you'll legs will be stronger.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I see a personal trainer and take what exercises he has me do and make my own routines. We do a total body routine during our sessions.. nothing too complicated. I fear that if it was, I wouldn't be able to do it on my own!
    Agree - you really should meet with a personal trainer before you begin a strenght training routine especially if you've not lifted before. A trainer can get you started with a program to suit your needs and will show the proper techiniques for the machines and free weights. If you don't know how to lift, you can make matters worse by hurting yourself and straining your back / muscles.

Most gyms will offer at least a few free or reduced cost sessions so you can learn the machines and decide if you want to work weekly or every other week with a trainer.

I lift three times a week for 45 min to an hour depending on how I feel.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm following the program in the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." Check it out at your local library or on Amazon. I bought it for around $10.

I lift 3 times per week and the workouts range from 30-45 minutes including the warm-ups. There are many women on MFP that are doing this program and we have our own thread. Very supportive bunch of ladies.

Lifting weights is the best! Good luck.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Agree - you really should meet with a personal trainer before you begin a strenght training routine especially if you've not lifted before. A trainer can get you started with a program to suit your needs and will show the proper techiniques for the machines and free weights. If you don't know how to lift, you can make matters worse by hurting yourself and straining your back / muscles.

Most gyms will offer at least a few free or reduced cost sessions so you can learn the machines and decide if you want to work weekly or every other week with a trainer.

I lift three times a week for 45 min to an hour depending on how I feel.

From a personal trainer here: THANK YOU. It kills me to see people waste so much money on fads, memberships, videos, programs, magazines etc. when they really don't know what's right for them. And yet they won't invest in a trainer. There is no one perfect program. A good, reputable trainer will discuss all your time constraints, goals, support system, fitness options and more. A good trainer also knows his or her limits. Do not hire a trainer that puts you on a food program or supplements unless they are a registered dietician. They are breaking their sworn code of ethics and praciticing beyond their scope, if they do.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm following the program in the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." Check it out at your local library or on Amazon. I bought it for around $10.

I lift 3 times per week and the workouts range from 30-45 minutes including the warm-ups. There are many women on MFP that are doing this program and we have our own thread. Very supportive bunch of ladies.

Lifting weights is the best! Good luck.

Completely agree. In fact whether you hire a trainer or not you should read this book before first. It will give you a good knowledge basis. Keep in mind that probably most of what you have seen people do in the gym with strength training is just wrong.

An good example are the people here telling you to just work your upper body. That is a recipe for disaster. So is working with most of the machines in the gym or doing isolation exercises. The corner stone of any good strength training program is the squat and deadlift. Your goal is towards exercises that parallel actual real world performance and work large muscle groups. Your small muscles (biceps, forearms, triceps, calves, etc.) will get plenty of work if you focus on multi-muscle exercises.

Pick up a copy of "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and have fun.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    sorry, hate to harp, but machines serve their purpose too. I have several clients that want simple, so I teach them ways to use machines that truly are beneficial, and teach them how to add variety, without confusing the heck out of them.

It really depends on YOUR resources, YOUR orthopedic and medical concerns, YOUR attention span, YOUR learning curve. A book or video can be a place to educate yourself, but you can also get confused real fast by this author saying machines are bad, and this author saying you should just use body weight, and this author saying to use free weights. It can all be a bit overwhelming. And remember authors are trying to sell their books as something clearly unique. They are biased. A trainer can help you get past the bias and use good things from the sources you have studied, and steer you clear of things that aren't right for you.

Like others have said, the key is what will you be easily able to follow, progress with , and add variety with?

No book or video can substitute for proper feedback. So you are right to see what others are doing. Keep a list of what sounds interesting. Look at (don't do) some books and videos, THEN meet with a trainer, tell that person what you have been exposed to, what you have done in the past, what motivates you, what concerns you, and let the trainer guide you. Pay them for their expertise. They will consult with you for free, but don't expect them to give you a complete program for free. They might show you proper techniques for free, but a good trainer is not as expensive as you think, and worth a lot, when it comes to having things fine tuned.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Crossfit for the weight-lifting beginner, especially a 5x5? Probably not where she needs to be, boss. (Edit: I didn't click the link before. Trying to sell your advice on a message board? Nice)

To OP:

You do need a comprehensive plan to make sure you're working all of your muscles at every available angle. You can state with doing 3 sets of 15 reps on all of the weight machines at your local gym if you're brand new and have no lifting experience, which is where it sounds like you're at.

Get a personal trainer session (or several would be better for both of you) and have him/her take you through a very basic set of workouts that you can do on your own. You want to ask about working with dumbbells and barbells and fundamental motions where possible. The idea is to get your comfortable with basic program building and all of the equipment at the gym. Unfortunately, there is no one right answer here as you will constantly have to rejigger your workout plan every couple of months or so to keep your body guessing.

Thanks for the advice!