Whey Protein Powder or Psyllium husk powder?

Options
Hey everyone,

In the morning I eat 200 grams of low fat yogurt with 100 grams of fruit. I've been adding 12-13 grams of Whey protein powder as well. I started adding A spoon and a half (9-10 grams) of Psyllium husk powder to my yogurt along with the protein powder since I heard fiber will help make you feel fuller longer. But wow the Psyllium husk powder is absolutely disgusting! It literally tastes and has the texture of sawdust or sand. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it taste better? Also what is more filling, Psyllium husk powder or Whey protein powder? :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk powder is a laxative and should not be a part of your regular diet.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Psyllium husk powder is a laxative and should not be a part of your regular diet.

On the box it says it helps with regulating your digestion system, making it easier to go to the bathroom and it helps make you feel fuller longer because the fibers absorb the liquid in your stomach and expand or something like that I believe. The fiber doesn't act like a laxative for me lucky, I haven't noticed any difference in that way. :)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Get your fiber from food?

...And stop relying on ridiculous daily concoctions to be a normal, healthy individual?

Just eat whole foods like a normal person.

Lastly, anyone who eats the same foods (or same meals) every single day of their lives has a ton to learn about proper nutrition.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have had psyllium husks for the last 5 years almost daily. I had it growing up also almost daily. Mix it in 8 ounces of water and add one packet of splenda. It is very healthy for you in more ways than one.
  • jenniator
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Get your fiber from food?

...And stop relying on ridiculous daily concoctions to be a normal, healthy individual?

Just eat whole foods like a normal person.

Lastly, anyone who eats the same foods (or same meals) every single day of their lives has a ton to learn about proper nutrition.

I do try to get plenty of fiber from my foods. I eat apples, pears, berries, broccoli, spinach, black beans, peas, ect, but I'm always still hungry. I heard protein and fiber fill you up, so I thought a combination of both would help me feel fuller.

I don't eat the same food every day, but I really do love yogurt with fruit, so I eat it every morning lately because I enjoy it.
  • jenniator
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    I have had psyllium husks for the 5 years almost daily. I had it growing up also almost daily. Mix it in 8 ounces of water and add one packet of splenda. It is very healthy for you in more ways than one.

I heard that it was healthy, but I just wish it didn't taste like sawdust/sand :) ha ha
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    As to which is more filling, you need to decide for yourself. Personally, I don't find protein powder filling at all...even if I add 30 grams to something. I use it once in a while in a smoothie, or added to yogurt if I need more protein, but it never fills me up. Solid food protein...like chicken...does keep me very full. But powder, not at all.

Psyllium does keep me very full. But you're supposed to mix it in water and drink it. It absorbs a large amount of liquid, so putting it in yogurt doesn't sound like it would work well. You need to drink it quickly, because if you let it sit there it will turn to a gel consistency. That is what keeps you feeling full...it does that in your stomach so you stay full longer.

BTW, it is not a laxative, though it does help keep people regular since it is fiber. It is perfect;y safe to take everyday. You can get flavored versions of it, but they have added sugar. If you don't care about that, perhaps that would work better for you. But either way, you drink it...don't eat it.
  • jenniator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    As to which is more filling, you need to decide for yourself. Personally, I don't find protein powder filling at all...even if I add 30 grams to something. I use it once in a while in a smoothie, or added to yogurt if I need more protein, but it never fills me up. Solid food protein...like chicken...does keep me very full. But powder, not at all.

Psyllium does keep me very full. But you're supposed to mix it in water and drink it. It absorbs a large amount of liquid, so putting it in yogurt doesn't sound like it would work well. You need to drink it quickly, because if you let it sit there it will turn to a gel consistency. That is what keeps you feeling full...it does that in your stomach so you stay full longer.

BTW, it is not a laxative, though it does help keep people regular since it is fiber. It is perfect;y safe to take everyday. You can get flavored versions of it, but they have added sugar. If you don't care about that, perhaps that would work better for you. But either way, you drink it...don't eat it.

Wow thanks so much :) I thought it was fine to eat since on the back it says it can be mixed in yogurt, smoothies, water, or other things. I will try it with water and see how that goes :D how much fiber powder should I use in the water? :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

Wow thanks so much :) I thought it was fine to eat since on the back it says it can be mixed in yogurt, smoothies, water, or other things. I will try it with water and see how that goes :D how much fiber powder should I use in the water? :)

I never tried it in a smoothie, but I suppose if you had enough liquid in it there's no harm. But yogurt isn't that liquidy to begin with...and the protein powder alone will thicken up the yogurt to some extent. So if you use both, I am afraid you might get a consistency similar to wet concrete. LOL! I mean, it won't harm you, but I think it would be very difficult to eat if it was too thick.

As to how much to use in water, I put a tablespoon in a full glass of water. If it start to get thick before you can drink it all, you can add more water to thin it out a bit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    swap the psyllium for ground flaxseeds, flax has a much better taste and consistency. you can also try chia seeds.

As for the protein powder... If you want one that fills you up, go for 100% casein. I use optimum nutrition . It helps keep me fuller than straight up whey protein. your mileage may vary.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Do NOT eat that Psyllium husk powder junk!!! Read the book "Fiber Menace".
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

I take a little bit on my doctor's orders. I just put two teaspoons in my morning coffee. This only works if you get one that is fine in hot beverages.

But I second the comment about casein protein. It's really filling.

And what is wrong with eating one thing every day. Sometimes we just enjoy something, it doesn't mean the rest of our meals are stable. I'd seriously miss my string cheese snacks, or coffee with breakfast.
  • jenniator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    swap the psyllium for ground flaxseeds, flax has a much better taste and consistency. you can also try chia seeds.

As for the protein powder... If you want one that fills you up, go for 100% casein. I use optimum nutrition . It helps keep me fuller than straight up whey protein. your mileage may vary.

I actually do have ground flaxseeds :D I just decided to use the psyllium because it was hardly any calories ha ha. Wow thank you so much for the recommendation. I don't see any optimum here. What is the difference between Whey Protein or casein? I'm wondering since I've never heard of casein. That's great if it keeps you full longer! It even has a lot less calories than the whey protein, but it also has a lot less protein. I don't mind though if it will keep me full longer. I also heard of someone recommend Milk and Egg protein. Is that good or is casein better for fullness? :) Sorry for the newbie questions, but I really don't know anything about the powders.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here's the protein /casein I use

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-casein-protein-p-219.html

it's just a slower digesting protein compared to whey. I can definitely feel the fullness factor between the two. casein also mixes up a lot thicker.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend the psyllium. While lots of people like using it as a fiber booster, it sucks water up like a sponge and can dry your colon out, which makes it harder to go to the bathroom long-term. Acacia fiber is a better alternative if you're just looking for fiber bulk. It's much more gentle and doesn't dry you out like psyllium does.

• sgiles99
    sgiles99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink my breakfast every morning which is a spinach based smoothie. I add whatever suits me at the time, but usually I add Psyllium, alfalfa powder, matcha, a banana or half an avocado, another fruit or vegetable, maybe hemp hearts, bentonite clay, greens powder, nuts or seeds, flax seeds. I add alkali water and blend up in my nutribullet. Very tasty with no added processed sugar. Excellent way to get many nutrients and fruit/veg servings at once, easy to digest, very filling, and keeps my digestion moving and happy. Psyllium helps brush the insides of your intestinal tract and colon, to help prevent a build up of fecal material on the walls which can become impacted over time. It's better to keep things moving than to have it stagnate.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Here's the protein /casein I use

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-casein-protein-p-219.html

it's just a slower digesting protein compared to whey. I can definitely feel the fullness factor between the two. casein also mixes up a lot thicker.

That's great it's slow digesting and you notice the difference by a lot. Unfortunately there is only one casein powder I can find here. It's called Precision Engineered Pure Casein. Do you know anything about the brand, if it's good or not?

Here is the nutritional value:

Average nutritional value: One dose contains (scoop of 35 grams): Energy 533 kJ and 126 kcal Fat 0.9 g Saturated Fat: 0.5 g Carbohydrates 3.7 g of which sugars: 1 g fiber 1.8 g Protein 25.7 g Salt 0.175 g 100 g: Calcium 1090mg Copper 0.15mg Iron 1,68mg Magnesium 60mg Phosphorus 704mg Potassium 197mg Ingredients: Casein, Calcium Caseinate, Cocoa Powder, Wheat Glutamine, Sodium Caseinate, Inulin, Maltodextrin , Emulsifier (Gum, Soy Lecithin, Sunflower Lecithin), Flavorings, Maltodextrin, Sweetener (Sucralose), Alpha Amylase, Lactase, Cellulase, Protease, Lipase.

http://www.detuinen.nl/10917-precision-engineered-pure-casein-chocolate-delight.html
  • pete71woodcock
    pete71woodcock Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    does anyone use it in cooking? instead of flour?
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    does anyone use it in cooking? instead of flour?

I make a killer psyllium husk beer batter fried chicken. Talk about cleaning out the pipes!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Neither. Add fresh fruit, seeds and nuts to plain fat free yogurt.