Novice triathlete.

Hey all. Figured I'd reach out and see if anyone else is in a similar spot to me, 39 yo male who is getting back into shape by training for tri's. I've got a couple of sprints under my belt and plan to step up to olympics mid season. Always up to share info on what works and seem to always have questions on equipment etc....would also be willing to answer basic questions for anyone thinking about trying one based on my experiences. Let me say upfront I'm no expert but I'm the weekend warrior type. Thanks and cheers!

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Feel free to send a friend request...I"m always up for chatting about triathlon 8)
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Just did my 2nd Go Tri Duathlon this morning, I did 1 Go Tri Super sprint last year. My running is terrible and I only have a mountain bike but it doesn't stop me.
  • J3ffthatcher
    J3ffthatcher Posts: 58 Member
    Running is my least fav part for sure
  • J3ffthatcher
    So what were the distances in the duathlon? I've seen this locally but haven't done one,
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited March 2016
    i'm starting my fifth season as a triathlete. running sucks for me too.

i've done a bunch of sprints and olympics, and one 70.3.
  • J3ffthatcher
    You feel so down when you come off he bike where you feel like you were flinging and go to slow motion for the first 1/2 mile or so. Haven't gotten used to it yet.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    So what were the distances in the duathlon? I've seen this locally but haven't done one,

I'm very much a novice it was 2k run, 9k bike, 2k run.

• J3ffthatcher
    Nice, I wish they would do a few of those in my area during the winter so I could get the fun of running an event but without swimming in the pool.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Triathlons... Why try to be good at one thing when you can be average at all 3?

So what are you good at?
  • J3ffthatcher

You should always have your coffee before posting.....might cheer you up.
  • CollieFit
    I know... he's just spammed God knows how many threads with passive aggressive opinions... Probably having a bad day at work...
  • CollieFit
    Anyway, back on subject... Welcome to triathlon. I found it a very welcoming culture in general where even those who were very serious were still supportive to newbies and the back of the pack. I started in 2007 and did Ironman Switzerland in 2010. I had to give it up in 2013 when my mum needed care with COPD. She passed away later that year but in 2014 my dad got cancer and he passed on last July. So after some time off, I'm just gently returning to training now. I'm not sure yet if I want to race again, at the moment I'm just training for fun, but I just wanted to say welcome. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I've done triathlon training and practice runs with a group, our coach has finished the Ironman twice. I like the training and practices, but can't wrap my head around doing an actual race. I love having the chance to swim before summer since we practice at an indoor pool.
  • J3ffthatcher
    Thank you. Not sure I'll ever have an ironman in me but who knows. I really enjoy the events and the atmosphere and agree w what you said about even the master level competitors being supportive and encouraging.
  • Codefox
    I think to master the run, ironically, it helps to be a strong cyclist. Also, not killing yourself on the bike is pretty key. Its not worth saving a few minutes on the bike if you lose 30 minutes on the run.
  • Codefox

You should always have your coffee before posting.....might cheer you up.

I mean, that's why I do it ;)
  • J3ffthatcher
    Codefox wrote: »
    I think to master the run, ironically, it helps to be a strong cyclist. Also, not killing yourself on the bike is pretty key. Its not worth saving a few minutes on the bike if you lose 30 minutes on the run.

Never thought of it that way. Sound advice, thanks. I enjoy the bike part more than the run so I have a tendency to push harder....I can see how that would make the run way worse.

• CollieFit
    Thank you. Not sure I'll ever have an ironman in me but who knows. I really enjoy the events and the atmosphere and agree w what you said about even the master level competitors being supportive and encouraging.

That was my midlife crisis. Sometimes I think I should have just bought a sports car. ;-)

• CollieFit
    Hey all. Figured I'd reach out and see if anyone else is in a similar spot to me, 39 yo male who is getting back into shape by training for tri's. I've got a couple of sprints under my belt and plan to step up to olympics mid season. Always up to share info on what works and seem to always have questions on equipment etc....would also be willing to answer basic questions for anyone thinking about trying one based on my experiences. Let me say upfront I'm no expert but I'm the weekend warrior type. Thanks and cheers!

Were your sprints open water or pool swims? Got a wettie yet? :)

• Codefox
    Codefox wrote: »

Never thought of it that way. Sound advice, thanks. I enjoy the bike part more than the run so I have a tendency to push harder....I can see how that would make the run way worse.

Its funny, growing up I was always an avid cyclist. My first real bike was a road bike and I've always been on one since. My dad saw to that. I always really hated running. But about 10 years ago, my work schedule just made it very hard to bike much since I was on the road every week so I decided to force myself to get into running. Now I absolutely love running as much as cycling but when I first got into triathlon about 3 years ago, I did the same thing. I just wanted to go all out on the bike. Last year I started to figure out that I needed to back off a bit, ride with a higher cadence and be ready for the run.

I'm also putting a lot more emphasis right now on making sure I get solid bricks in. I bike twice a week and I run 2 - 4 miles afterwards depending on the day of the week. Its starting to make a real difference.