I've opened up my food Diary, Can someone help me out here?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Just look up Fitness Blender on Youtube. They only do either bodyweight cardio or the superset style strength training. Some have both, some are separated into the cardio, upper and lower body. I'm on the second of their 8 week programmes having previously just been winging it myself and I've yet to do the same workout twice!

actually fitnessblender.com is the same thing but easier to find videos. they do all kinds of videos(not just bodyweight or superset style strength training) from Hiit,to strength training,tabata style,pilates,yoga,some barre,and so on. there is something there for everyone. they also have beginner routines and most are free. the 8 week programs cost (they also have 4 week programs as well) but are yours to keep for life for that one price.. Their videos are really helpful.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    perhaps a day on and day off from logging and just going by my own instincts might help ease me into it.
    lol ive always had the mentality that i will be logging forever, even in maintenance.

You've gotten some good advice here. Congrats on your awesome loss so far!! You're doing great.

I have very similar stats: 5'3" - 5'4", 150 lbs. My calorie goal should be around 1460, but I change it up. And it's really helped me. I have also really slowed and almost "Stalled" in my weight loss. And honestly, what has helped is the "diet break". During my period I bump up my calories to around 1600-1700; we are typically naturally hungrier around our TOM and so I'm of the mind to eat more to help ease some of the symptoms (the hungriness, grumpiness, etc.). It has really helped me to get the weight loss going -- but it's still very slow. I also average between 3-5 pounds a month now, which is quite fine by me. And that is with a 3-4 days calorie increase.

I'd recommend a couple things:
    Re-think your expectations. It is very true what they say about "closer to goal weight, slower the loss" -- you are doing great in a 4-lb loss over 4 weeks, really you are. There are months where I lose two pounds!

Consider a diet break; take a couple days to up your calories by 300-400 calories, or even up to maintenance.. No, you won't immediately gain weight! It'll allow your metabolism to change and hopefully get out of a funk. And if you happen to do this around your TOM, you might notice an easier period.

Start using a Trendweight app, or similar to track your weight daily. This is more of a psychological thing, but you can see awesome data and a trend line showing a weight loss...even if it's slow, it's still a loss and a nice red line showing that you're doing it right and losing.

Consider intermittent fasting. I have used this method over the past couple months. I only chose 2 days/week to go "low calories", around 1k/day *typially my busiest days at work, so that I don't feel hungry. I have tried this off/on for the past couple months (usually only do it 2 days/week, for like 2 weeks out of the month). It has also helped me break these little stalls I get. I guess the idea between IF and calorie increase is to get our bodies and metabolism out of a routine.

The protein thing -- you're right it may not directly relate to weight loss if you follow the CICO. However, I agree with upping your protein intake to at least 80-90g/day. Protein is satiating and helps reduce lean muscle mass loss. There are days where I am still a bit low, and other days where I hit 120g protein. Greek yogurt, cheese, seafood snacks, beef jerky, and lean meat are my go-tos, but I also have a protein or nutritional shake now and then.

Good luck! You are doing awesome.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just look up Fitness Blender on Youtube. They only do either bodyweight cardio or the superset style strength training. Some have both, some are separated into the cardio, upper and lower body. I'm on the second of their 8 week programmes having previously just been winging it myself and I've yet to do the same workout twice!

actually fitnessblender.com is the same thing but easier to find videos. they do all kinds of videos(not just bodyweight or superset style strength training) from Hiit,to strength training,tabata style,pilates,yoga,some barre,and so on. there is something there for everyone. they also have beginner routines and most are free. the 8 week programs cost (they also have 4 week programs as well) but are yours to keep for life for that one price.. Their videos are really helpful.

You're right! I had a bit of a brain fart. I forget because although I do all my scheduled workouts I sort of forget about the pilates and yoga aspects, probably because I endure them more than enjoy them, heh.
    perhaps a day on and day off from logging and just going by my own instincts might help ease me into it.
    lol ive always had the mentality that i will be logging forever, even in maintenance.

You've gotten some good advice here. Congrats on your awesome loss so far!! You're doing great.

I have very similar stats: 5'3" - 5'4", 150 lbs. My calorie goal should be around 1460, but I change it up. And it's really helped me. I have also really slowed and almost "Stalled" in my weight loss. And honestly, what has helped is the "diet break". During my period I bump up my calories to around 1600-1700; we are typically naturally hungrier around our TOM and so I'm of the mind to eat more to help ease some of the symptoms (the hungriness, grumpiness, etc.). It has really helped me to get the weight loss going -- but it's still very slow. I also average between 3-5 pounds a month now, which is quite fine by me. And that is with a 3-4 days calorie increase.

I'd recommend a couple things:
    Re-think your expectations. It is very true what they say about "closer to goal weight, slower the loss" -- you are doing great in a 4-lb loss over 4 weeks, really you are. There are months where I lose two pounds!

Consider a diet break; take a couple days to up your calories by 300-400 calories, or even up to maintenance.. No, you won't immediately gain weight! It'll allow your metabolism to change and hopefully get out of a funk. And if you happen to do this around your TOM, you might notice an easier period.

Start using a Trendweight app, or similar to track your weight daily. This is more of a psychological thing, but you can see awesome data and a trend line showing a weight loss...even if it's slow, it's still a loss and a nice red line showing that you're doing it right and losing.

Consider intermittent fasting. I have used this method over the past couple months. I only chose 2 days/week to go "low calories", around 1k/day *typially my busiest days at work, so that I don't feel hungry. I have tried this off/on for the past couple months (usually only do it 2 days/week, for like 2 weeks out of the month). It has also helped me break these little stalls I get. I guess the idea between IF and calorie increase is to get our bodies and metabolism out of a routine.

The protein thing -- you're right it may not directly relate to weight loss if you follow the CICO. However, I agree with upping your protein intake to at least 80-90g/day. Protein is satiating and helps reduce lean muscle mass loss. There are days where I am still a bit low, and other days where I hit 120g protein. Greek yogurt, cheese, seafood snacks, beef jerky, and lean meat are my go-tos, but I also have a protein or nutritional shake now and then.

Good luck! You are doing awesome.

Diet breaks have to be for longer than two or three days to have the desired effect, particularly for someone who hasn't taken one at all during 11 months of eating at a deficit. IF is nothing to do with why one should take a diet break, it's just a style of eating that suits some people better, especially if they prefer to eat larger meals.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline -- I never said IF was directly related or the same to a diet break, only that there *may be* similar effect in that the increase/change in calories affects metabolism, and goes with a change in psychological thinking (e.g., changing/upping intake, changing routines, etc shouldn't be seen as setback or too scary)
    And for the OP, a longer break may be good after 11 months; I've read usually 10-14 days is ideal. However I have found a shorter break works well for me once a month & will continue to use it, though it may be more of a "controlled break" than a true break. Just was giving her options & suggestions that have worked for me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had changed my calorie goal to 1650 but that only lasted like 20 min before i felt very uncomfortable and changed it back to 1460. Its been 11 months of about the same calorie goal.. i didn't even eat any higher then this when i was heavier... Lol.. sigh.. only i could lose almost 100lbs and then screw myself up mentally instead haha.. good lord im so broken.

You should seek therapy, no shame in it. hugs
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What percentage of your exercise calories do you eat back? You should really not count on losing weight through exercise. Not when you are supposed to eat back exercise calories.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Oh. And your body doesn't need a "diet break". Your body is a super sophisticated bean counter and it knows what to do with a calorie deficit - it dips into its fat stores for energy.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I think you have done great, and I understand your worries. Everyone knows the last 10-15lbs are the hardest and take the longest. I would keep on doing what works for you, I absolutely would not up my calories in the least. When I hit that wall I decreased my calories even further, it got me out of the slump and I started losing again.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Oh. And your body doesn't need a "diet break". Your body is a super sophisticated bean counter and it knows what to do with a calorie deficit - it dips into its fat stores for energy.

Diet breaks are a scientifically proven thing. But you do you.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I had changed my calorie goal to 1650 but that only lasted like 20 min before i felt very uncomfortable and changed it back to 1460. Its been 11 months of about the same calorie goal.. i didn't even eat any higher then this when i was heavier... Lol.. sigh.. only i could lose almost 100lbs and then screw myself up mentally instead haha.. good lord im so broken.

You should seek therapy, no shame in it. hugs

Agreed you need to seek help. You've done great but what happens when you keep losing beyond maintenance? I think you need help of some sort, whether that's therapy or online CBT or similar. As you say it would be incredibly sad to go to the opposite end of the healthy weight spectrum.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you don't need any advice...you're doing everything right and still losing weight. Estimates are just that, estimates. It's never going to be 100% perfect. 4lbs in a month is a good loss, keep it up.