is this my battle to fight?

Options
2»

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Maybe only feed them real food, nutritious food, but then give them dessert later. Even though dessert is not necessarily nutritious, that is the rightful place for treats that may not be nutritious. Processed fake food as a meal is NOT the rightful place for non-nutritious consumption. This way they will be trained to expect real food for real meals, and understand that splurge food only has its place outside of normal feeding (even if you give it to them frequently). They can't complain that they never get any junk food, and they get trained to eat healthfully at the same time.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I hid turkey from my family for a year they thought it was red meat the whole time. I got busted when I made a meatloaf because the turkey didn't form like ground beef does. That shows you that no one goes into the freezer unless I feed them and I am sure their arteries thank me.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hey gang.....first off, THANK YOU! Thank you for not getting all high and mighty or judgmental. The internet is such a weird place and that kind of crap can work its way into the best of threads, so I really and truly am appreciative that this thread hasn't taken that turn :):flowerforyou:

Secondly, check this out! I made the rice with bell peppers and onions, I made the veggies (just a mixed bag of steamfresh with broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and snap peas), and some marinated chicken on the grill. I put one piece of each veggie on their plates, a heaping tablespoon of rice (peppers and onions IN TACT), and served up din din for the kiddies.

My hunbun says 'heh, he's not going to eat that...' I said, 'he will if his daddy backs me up on this :)" Yes, the smile is there in my quote because I said it with a smile, not like a beeotch, LOL.

I told my little girl to set a good example and show his kids that kids can eat veggies and even if they aren't spectacular, they can still eat them and nobody is going to choke to death on them, LOL

Dinner was served. Kids ate their veggies, even the bell peppers. Badda bing, badda bang!

And to top it all off, after dinner, I went for a run with the girls (his 11 year old and my 6 year old). His girl JUST learned to ride a bike this Sunday. (See, i told you they don't go outside!) To see her transform from crying on the front lawn as she mounted the bike, completely in fear, into this 80% capable bike rider today was amazing. I'm so proud of her for eating her veggies, telling me she didn't like the broccoli but that she was ok with not liking it since it wasnt flat out disgusting, and for getting on that bike and riding down the road. She did so good, no boo boos, and couldn't wait to get home to tell her dad.

It's a great day!

Thanks again, you guys!

oh ya, and ps, i have that Deceptively Delicious book. I used it on my two when they were little, LOL. Maybe I should bring it back out. Hell, I had everyone in the house drinking spinach the other day and nobody knew there was anything in those smoothies other than blueberries, banana, and yogurt. :bigsmile:

ALL of this is awesome! Great job, mama!
  • akashicisis
    Options
    Without your husband-to-be supporting you anything you do will fail. So you talk to him and explain what's going to happen. Like "i was thinking that we could try .........is that ok with you?"

As for the actual process. With my stepson (exact same situation) I said "Vegetables are necessary so I thought what if we put them on his plate, like everyone else gets, but he doesn't have to eat them. What do you think?" He agreed. First year or so, I made food that wasn't "mixed up" 2 meals out of 3, like a chicken leg, a baked potato and some carrots and peas. He doesn't have to eat anything. He doesn't have to finish anything. He doesn't get dessert unless he tries everything though (and dessert usually has fruit in it as well). The 3rd meal of 3 I started as having pasta with bacon and cheese. Then next time was bacon cheese and onion. Then bacon cheese and onion with chopped tomato to add if you want it. Then with tomato and peas to add if you want. Then the tomato mixed in and your choice of peas. Then tomato and peas mixed in and chopped capsicum to add. Or a ragout loaded with grated veges that he couldn't detect. Then let him see me put the veges in. Now the only thing we struggle with is lettuce and mushrooms. He comes and goes on them. He still doesn't have to eat anything if he doesn't want it. No battle, no drama, my partner is happy because there's no fight, I'm happy cos there are veges on every plate so none of the kids feel like there's special treatment going on and he's really proud of himself and has had a massive growth spurt since he started eating vegies. It took 2 years. He was 7 when we started. Good luck. Mainly....take the battle out of it and it should work out.
  • akashicisis
    Options
    hehe i was too late and you pretty much did exactly what I did. With INSTANT results! Well done!