20 Rep Squat Program

Options
McCloud33
McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So if you haven't heard of it, the 20 rep squat program consists of just that, 1 set of 20 reps, 2-3 days a week where you increase your squat by 5 lbs after every successful session. This goes on for 6 weeks. You're supposed to take your current 5 RM, subtract 90 lbs, so by the end of the 6 weeks, you have the potential to squat your previous 5RM for 20 reps. This is also know as the squats and milk program as several variations tell you to drink a gallon of milk a day or GOMAD.

I'm just going to use this post to chronicle my attempt at this program. I'm doing my own variation, but from what I've read up on it, as long as you're doing the 20 reps, you can kind of do what you want. So here's my plan: I'm going to be using the SL5x5 app because, well, it's easy and simple and I like it. This will give me an A and B programing day. "A" will consist of my 20 squats, 20 recovery pullovers @ 25lbs (this doesn't increase progressively), 5x5 incline bench, 5x5 weighted pull-up (wide/rock hold/neutral/wide/rock hold). "B" will consist of the 20 squats, 20 pullovers, 5x5 OHP, & 1x5 DL.

Now because I feel hesitant at my ability to jump right in, I'm doing a 6 week intro program. This is going to consist of the full program, but rather than starting at my 5RM-90lbs, I'm doing 5RM-120. I'll add 5lbs per week for this period, instead of 5lbs per session, so by the end of my intro period, I'll be up to the starting weight for the program. A couple of reason for this. 1) I'm still on about a 500cal/day cut for the next two weeks and then I'm going to slowly up my daily calories by about 100 per week throughout the program. 2) I'm running/training for a Spartan Beast Race (13-15 miles) that takes place at the end of April so I don't want to go full bore until after that.

Ok, so day 1 was relatively easy, but as I figured, the 20 reps of squats are going to be a mental challenge for me more so than a physical I think. Incline Bench was a little harder than I thought it would be, so I think I'll probably stall/have to deload first on this lift. Pullups were relatively easy. I'd worked up to 3x5 @ 45lbs last week. This will get me up to about 75lbs when I start the full program if I can keep adding.

Daily Calories: 1500+excercise calories~1700-1800
Squat: 1x20 @ 155lbs
IBP: 5x5 @ 135lbs
Weight Pullups: 5x5 @ 25lbs

Feel free to follow, question, comment. I welcome the conversation and feedback.

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm intrigued @McCloud33. Last year -- on a whim -- I purchased Strossen's book "Super Squats" trumpeting a 20 squat program and a gallon of milk. I didn't finish the book because I found it to be to self-referential and ancedotaly supported to run the program.

Anyway, I will be following along.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why does no one is the blog feature?
  • McCloud33
    Options
    I'm intrigued @McCloud33. Last year -- on a whim -- I purchased Strossen's book "Super Squats" trumpeting a 20 squat program and a gallon of milk. I didn't finish the book because I found it to be to self-referential and ancedotaly supported to run the program.

I'll take some body measurements tonight, and maybe update those every couple of weeks. The other claim of the program is SIZE. I'm planning on being in a surplus once I really start, but by no means am I going to do GOMAD. I'll probably do a couple scoops of protein drink with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water in the morning, but that's probably all of the milk I'll be drinking. I do eat a lot of cheese and yogurt already though, so we'll see.
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    "Feature" is giving the personal blog space way too much credit.

• McCloud33
    Options

lazy
    edited March 2016
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

I'll take some body measurements tonight, and maybe update those every couple of weeks. The other claim of the program is SIZE. I'm planning on being in a surplus once I really start, but by no means am I going to do GOMAD. I'll probably do a couple scoops of protein drink with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water in the morning, but that's probably all of the milk I'll be drinking. I do eat a lot of cheese and yogurt already though, so we'll see.

The tagline of Super Squats is "How to gain 30 pounds in 6 weeks." IDK, but five pounds (of LBM?) per week seems too good to be true. You're taking the prudent step of running this program in a surplus -- don't forget the pizza!

lazy

You don't have to excuse yourself to him.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You have fun with that one.

I've done a few 20 rep squat days in the past. Nope. Never again.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In to follow.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    The tagline of Super Squats is "How to gain 30 pounds in 6 weeks." IDK, but five pounds (of LBM?) per week seems too good to be true. You're taking the prudent step of running this program in a surplus -- don't forget the pizza!

Yeah, you might gain 30lbs in 6 weeks, but it's not going to be LBM! If I can stick to my diet portion of it, I should put on between 4-5 lbs over the last 6 weeks. Even if half of that is muscle I'll be happy. If you could sustain that rate of muscle growth over an entire year, you'd be pushing 18lbs of added muscle. From what I've read, the most (natural) muscle that even a teenage newbie can hope to add is like 24lbs in a year.

I've looked at the "maximum muscle potential" calculators http://www.weightrainer.net/maximum_bodypred.html
    for my height/build and the most natural LBM that I can hope for is about 176lbs (192lbs@5'9 and 8%BF). Right now I estimate that I'm between 147-150lbs LBM.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well I'm hoping/wishing/praying for you!! I'm wrapping up mine (I have 3 more lifts to go).

I am mildly concerned about the full 6 week intro. I think you're not giving yourself enough credit and I think you might find yourself burning out much more quickly. I understand the need to do something else while you're tapering and prepping for the run thing- but ehhhhh just be careful- you may not be prepping yourself as well as you think LOL.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well I'm hoping/wishing/praying for you!! I'm wrapping up mine (I have 3 more lifts to go).

I am mildly concerned about the full 6 week intro. I think you're not giving yourself enough credit and I think you might find yourself burning out much more quickly. I understand the need to do something else while you're tapering and prepping for the run thing- but ehhhhh just be careful- you may not be prepping yourself as well as you think LOL.

@JoRocka I thought you were about done with yours. Have you stalled yet, or still progressing

You really think it's too much even though these first 6 weeks are so light? If I do it how I'm planning, it'll be 155 ALL this week (3 lifts), 160 ALL next week, 165, 170, 175, & 180 if I even do it the week leading up to the race. I might end up taking the week before and the week after off.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It just seems excessive to build into it- but with the race thing I could see the drive for that.

I'm still going- I did 185 on Thursday- I unfortunately would have been done this week but I only lifted once last week (Thursday) because I had a huge dance event this past weekend and I had paying clients for sewing projects that had to be done so I'm technically "behind" I should have been done this weekend or today (200 pounds being the end of the 6 weeks) but I did 185 on Thursday and while it was hard- it wasn't impossible. so we'll see how it goes- I'm not really sure I"m interested in pushing past the original 5 rep max number (200 pounds) because I'm cutting and it's just going to get ugly. I am guessing if I don't fail 200 pounds- and I hit that- I'll go for 205 and see how it goes- there isn't much harm in pushing to real failure- I haven't done it in a while.

Now that you right it out like that- that's not so bad- sounds reasonable.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I remember you and JoRocka discussing this in another thread and it sounds absolutely insane. :lol:

Good insane, but insane.

In for the follow and man, if I ever feel like really hating life I think I might give it a shot.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At least you're doing the key point of eating in a surplus and having a damn plan of progression.
    Good luck and go grind those reps man.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 2 update:

Programing
    Squat: 155lbs 1x20 (actually did 21 b/c I lost count) here's the video if you care to watch https://youtu.be/ozsHC1B541Q
    pullovers: 25lbs 1x20
    OHP: 95lbs 5x5
    DL: 275x5, 325x2, 375x1

Stats( I'm going to throw this in every couple of weeks just to track as well)
    BW 180
    Neck 15.25"
    Chest 41.75"
    Waist(narrowest) 33"
    Waist(naval) 34"
    Hips 39.5"
    Thigh 22.5"
    Calf 15.5"
    Bicep 14.25"
    Forearm 11.5"
    Wrist 7"
    Ankle 9.25"

Diet
    Still at 1500+excercise calories. Ended up being just over 2000 yesterday with a 3 mile run and will be about 1700 today. Next week will go up 100 to 1600+ex. cals.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @JoRocka two quick questions for you as I know you're just finishing this up. Did you have any problem with losing count (as you notice I did on just my second day...ha) and if so, any tips other than concentrate better on it. And two, I have kind of mid bar setup, not high or low, just what's comfortable, but as I squat it tends to slide down my back ever so slightly. Is it just a matter of staying tighter? Anyone else feel free to comment as well, I just know Jo just went through this is all.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka two quick questions for you as I know you're just finishing this up. Did you have any problem with losing count (as you notice I did on just my second day...ha) and if so, any tips other than concentrate better on it. And two, I have kind of mid bar setup, not high or low, just what's comfortable, but as I squat it tends to slide down my back ever so slightly. Is it just a matter of staying tighter? Anyone else feel free to comment as well, I just know Jo just went through this is all.

Not @JoRocka, but I know for me, when I do sets of more than 8 reps, I just break the count in my head down to groups of 5's. So if I'm after 15 reps, I will count to 5, 3 times. I find this "grouping" a easier way to track for me.
  • JoRocka
    Options

You get better at it- but sometimes you catch yourself second guessing. LOL
    cajuntank wrote: »

Not @JoRocka, but I know for me, when I do sets of more than 8 reps, I just break the count in my head down to groups of 5's. So if I'm after 15 reps, I will count to 5, 3 times. I find this "grouping" a easier way to track for me.

This is exactly how I do it. I do 5, then 5-10 (because even I can count to 10- then I do another set of 5 and then the 5-10.

As I said- it DOES get easier- especially when you aren't going so fast- I imagine with at 155 #'s you're probably doing them quickly (I can't see the video) and when you are doing them "at speed" it's MUCH easier to lose track- if you watch my later videos with heavier weights you can see they are VERY clearly broken into 5's- even if I can move on to the next rep- I do 5 and pause and reset the counter in my head- I don't just do as many as I can and move on- it's to easy for me to lose track.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @JoRocka @cajuntank Thanks for the advice you two. I'll see if that helps at all.

Already feeling it in the *kitten* area today after squatting twice and running twice this week. Especially with yesterday being DL day as well. I will definitely NOT be running on my off days after my Spartan race. It's going to be 6 weeks of lifting only, and maybe a soccer game on Sunday if the season isn't over yet.

• ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That's just so many reps. lol

Nice work!