ARE QUEST BARS REALLY AS GOOD AS IVE BEN TOLD THEY ARE?

Options

Replies

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My favourites are the cookie dough, cookies n cream and double chocolate chunk, microwaved for 15 seconds.
    I didn't like the raspberry cheescake type flavours, they were the ones that had that sickly sweet aftertaste to them..

Me too! We also like Chocolate brownie. I will say I think they have changed the recipe a bit. Those pumpkin ones had a particularly bad aftertaste so I was glad I tried it out before buying a whole case.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I did find MISSION ONE BARS BY MUSCLE TECH tried cookies and cream this mourning and not bad at all and at $1.84 a bar

nutrition info (for those interested)

cal.200
    cal. from fat .60
    carbs.22
    dietary fiber.17
    sugar.1
    sugar alcohol.0
    protein.21

made with stevia

I used to eat Quest bars but they are too much work for my jaw - too hard...

I have been eating the Muscletech Mission 1 bars for a few months now - I like the flavor much better and they stay softer so easier to eat - and at Walmart they are under $2 per bar. Keep them somewhere not too cold or they harden up (made the mistake of keeping them in the outside pocket of a cooler bag and they got hard).

Unwrapping a Cookies and Cream Mission 1 bar right now for a mid-day snack before some resistance work ...
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    I did find MISSION ONE BARS BY MUSCLE TECH tried cookies and cream this mourning and not bad at all and at $1.84 a bar

cal.200
    cal. from fat .60
    carbs.22
    dietary fiber.17
    sugar.1
    sugar alcohol.0
    protein.21

made with stevia

I have been eating the Muscletech Mission 1 bars for a few months now - I like the flavor much better and they stay softer so easier to eat - and at Walmart they are under $2 per bar. Keep them somewhere not too cold or they harden up (made the mistake of keeping them in the outside pocket of a cooler bag and they got hard).

Unwrapping a Cookies and Cream Mission 1 bar right now for a mid-day snack before some resistance work ...

yes sir that's where I found mine late last night much better then the quest bars I have tried and for under 2 bucks do u use these as meal replacements or only snacks?
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Normally as a snack. When I walk the golf course I will take one with me - normally a 4 hour round so I have one mid-round. I also tend to have them as a during a regular day as I am trying to eat more protein - so one an hour before working out and then a protein shake after (1 scoop of Legion Whey+ protein). That will cover about 1/4 to 1/3 of the 150g of protein I am trying to have during the day - the rest will be all natural via meats, eggs, food , etc....
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I really like them. Double chocolate chunk and coconut are my favorites.

I also really like the taste of the cookie dough ones but I don't like that those have sucralose in them. Some of the flavors don't have sucralose (only stevia).
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok so here are the advantages, in my opinion, of quest bars:

Low on sugar (seriously low, about less than 1g), decent calories, high on protein for small amount of bar. Not many carbs or fat either, but still present.

Aren't as slick-chewy as powerbars, aren't as thick/granola-y as cliff and similar. Not as soft or as sweet as luna bars (in flavor). They aren't 'crunchy' (or at least none of the ones I've had are). Most flavors are meh-to-good (I've yet to have a "OH GOD WHY DID I EAT THIS" flavor).

Best salty-savory: Coconut cashew. Hits that potato chip/samoa craving spot. Smores and cookies and cream are good for cookie/dessert cravings. Not a fan of the double chocolate personally. Apple pie was weird.

They can be heated up in the microwave, which makes them melty (awesome for the brownie, cookies+cream, smores). You can combine this with yogurt or frozen yogurt for a super protein-y treat.

The 20mg of protein for the amount you are eating (in terms of calories and size) is decent; most items with 20+g of protein have more than 200 calories, and many bars cap off at 12-15. For someone like me (struggling to get protein most days AND in the middle of cutting calories), this is perfect for a night snack or post-workout.

They are a bit pricey, but the store I purchase them at has them at (the cheapest) 1.79-2.01 (the latter comes with a gas discount). A box of 12 is about 23 dollars and will last me over 2 weeks. I can dig that for 20g of protein.

If you can afford higher calories in your diet, or you don't care about sugar, you can probably find a better bar. I've yet to find one with 20g+ that doesn't exceed 210 calories. THat's a good 'snack' size, esp when I'm at the end of the day.

Drawbacks? Price, taste (if you prefer 'moist' bars or more crunchy/nuts), not a lot of organic materials and such, I believe they are not vegan friendly (this doesn't bug me but might bug others). They aren't that big if you want a lot of something. Besides protein, they might not be so beneficial. They are *not* a meal replacement.

I use them regularly because locally I can't find a proper substitute, but I've heard Costco has their own protein bar that has just as much in it for cheaper (none around here unfortunately :/).

You could get the same amount of protein/calorie cost from a shake, so it's personal pref in that sense.

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »

cal.200
    cal. from fat .60
    carbs.22
    dietary fiber.17
    sugar.1
    sugar alcohol.0
    protein.21

made with stevia

I just ate one of those as well! I am so glad I tried mission 1 bars...very comparable to quest. The cookies and cream tastes the same to me but quest seams to have more of an aftertaste imo
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Quest are good but expensive and protein bars are gone in like 2 seconds and overly sugary and the satiety of them never hits me and I always want more so I only eat them when I am hard pressed to buy some food item at a gas station lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The only one I like is the Mint chocolate chip. But I just found a bar that is actually delicious. Supreme Protein Caramel Nut Chocolate. I swear it was like eating a candy bar. 200 calories, 15g Protein, 11g Carb, 8g Fat. Little high on the calories/fat, but as an occasional treat pretty tasty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NBDQNM2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001RD8EJI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11W51SH9A7Q0X0F27BQK
    I had the peanut butter pretzel one and it was delicious! I must find more flavours to try.

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like quest bars, but I prefer these.

ki689kawm9m9.jpeg
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1v40oZpmvY

Just to get a general idea on how to make your own quest style protein bars.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    I like quest bars, but I prefer these.

ki689kawm9m9.jpeg

me too, way better than the new quest formula
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I haven't had one in a long time, but they're actually quite delicious, and relatively healthy in comparison to a candy bar, though I used them as snacks rather than meal replacements. They're all right. I'm trying to stick to mostly whole foods these days, but if you want to know if they taste good, yes they do. (Edited: At least to me. Apparently some people hate them.)

I'm not a doctor, but I really wouldn't recommend using them in place of meals if you're diabetic. I'd say less processed carbo stuff and more good quality protein. I'd eat a real meal, and mostly avoid things like Quest bars. There are a lot of easy low carb recipes for something chocolately or snacky.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Quest are good but expensive and protein bars are gone in like 2 seconds and overly sugary and the satiety of them never hits me and I always want more so I only eat them when I am hard pressed to buy some food item at a gas station lol

That's basically how I feel about it as well.
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    JUST TRIED THE QUEST MINT CHOCOALTE CHIP A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND THEY ARE BY FAR THE BEST MADE ME WANT MORE BUT AT $2.89 A BAR ILL WAIT LOL
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You've gotta bake them or warm them up.. much better that way.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I really used to like promax LS and power crunch bars over quest... But they're just candy bars to me.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Victory bars from oh yeah! are great - nothing artificial and nutrition is on spot.
  • ajsawrie
    ajsawrie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    They remind me of these weird things I tried as a naive teenager to lose weight. They were called Full Bars. The idea was that you ate this bar of some low cal material (that was essentially Styrofoam) and drink a glass of water with it and it would expand in your stomach, leaving very little room for food. It was supposed to be the same as a gastric bypass, because it "made the stomach smaller" by filling it up with junk that I'm sure couldn't be processed by anyone's gut.

Shocking conclusion: I lost no weight. My hair did start falling out, though...
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    JACave21 wrote: »
    Very overrated IMO

I second that. The best one I had was chocolate or brownie, left my mouth feeling funny and I get compelled to finish it (hate to waste). Found chocolate Solo bars lastnight, that's what I'll get when I want a bar.