5'8" Women weight goal?

Options

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm closer to 5'9" and my goal is to stay around 130lb, more specifically goal is to have waist at 28" and that's about it, really, more than the pounds; if I can gain some muscle in my butt then bigger hip measurement would be OK with me but not seeking to get bigger anywhere at this point.

I am built streamlined and not curvy I guess, and historically have looked best when pretty light, 125-130. But at 125lb I had 20% bodyfat and was 33-28-35, with 18" thighs; made an effort to gain fitness and muscle (bulk) now at 135lb I am 20% bodyfat and 35-29-37 with thighs at least 21" so think I gained appx. 8lb muscle and 2lb fat, and am not sure I can drop much without losing healthy body mass. So goal is changed to waist size not weight.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't use BMI anymore - because unless I was crazy underweight it showed me as overweight! I now use Waist to Height Ratio and its far more realistic hers a link to how it works - https://gateway.axappphealthcare.co.uk/healthy/taxonomy/689/your-weight-bmi-and-waist-number?source=teaser
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 (originally 5'9) and my SW was 289. My original goal is 180, I have photos of me at that weight and I was slim and healthy and muscular. I'm about halfway there now, and when I get there i'll reassess and see if I want to go lower, but I really can't imagine going below 160. I weighed 150 in college and was really just rail-thin, you could easily see rib definition at that weight.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and have a sturdy peasant build. I'm currently at 186 and aiming for 175. I have rotary scoliosis and the doctors estimate that I've last 4 inches of height due to the severity of curvature through my thoracic and lumbar spine.
    I want to relieve stress on my body caused by excess mass, but going lower is unrealistic and not healthy for me.

My sister is 5'8". Both my sister and I have been as low as 165. It's very thin on her. It requires an amidst obsessive attention for me to maintain as my lean body mass is 132 lbs.
  • meredith1629
    meredith1629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have never been under 300 pounds in my adult life. I have no "when I was younger xxx weight looked good on me" to reference. At this point ANY number on the scale under 200 would be magnificent. Ultimate goal would be whatever number I felt and looked comfortable at that I can maintain and my doctor agrees with. I want to be healthy and be able to participate in life. Whatever then scale says is irrelevant really.
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i can totally relate to this! I am also 5'8 and my goal is 160! I am a mid/large frame. 145 seems scary thin to me, to be honest. But - it all depends on the person. I will admit if I could reach 160, I'd go for 155 ish after that. But for now I would take 160 any day.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The sexiest I ever felt was at 140-145. I was lean but curvy. I have a pretty broad frame and tend to be muscular.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    I don't use BMI anymore - because unless I was crazy underweight it showed me as overweight! I now use Waist to Height Ratio and its far more realistic hers a link to how it works - https://gateway.axappphealthcare.co.uk/healthy/taxonomy/689/your-weight-bmi-and-waist-number?source=teaser

Thanks. BMI is built off risk tables, and has a 30lb range for any given height, to accomodate body types. I don't think any standardized tool can work for every individual, but in a general population, health risk is lowest inside that bubble. I like waist-to-height better too, but have known ladies who could fall inside a healthy waist measurement and still carry too much fat to be healthy, they were not firm or fit, just really hourglassy naturally; or like me, straight up and down, I can be too skinny with a waist measurement that would still "pass" because I simply don't get that small there.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »

Interesting! According to that I am healthy, my ratio is .79.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 140. But I'd be happy as heck at 160
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9". I was ill once and lost enough weight that I was down below 120. :( I looked horrible. I went from a C cup to an A, none of my clothes fit, and my bones protruded. So, no, no 120 goal weight for me. I like around 140 - 145.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 1/2 and about 119 lbs. I've always been thin. I gave birth to my son at 143 lbs.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and started out at 260lbs. I spend most of my time at around 150-155 comfortably (with little effort from a food portion perspective). I'm a competitive bodybuilder and in my last competitive season I got down to 144 - giving me a hug was like cuddling a little bag of antlers. No Bueno!! I like the 155lb range for the steady state!!
  • Cheryl_in_AL
    Cheryl_in_AL Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8". I started at 225. My starter goal is 170. When I get close I will reevaluate.
  • marissarekush
    marissarekush Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly shorter at 5'7" and two years ago I started at 215 and got down to 140-142 and I didn't look too good. My hips and shoulders were sticking out quite a bit, kind of as if I was sucking all the time. I've since went back up to 189 and now I'm working on getting to about 150ish.
  • tinab190
    tinab190 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    vohme74tmyp6.jpg

This is me at 175 pounds, I think 15 less would look perfect, get rid of the last bits of flab, according to BMI, I could lose 50 pounds and still be healthy. 50 pounds??! That's like a huge bag of dog food, where would it even come off? Goes to show I guess, how different it is for everyone!

Thank you for posting this! I am 5' 9" and my goal honestly is 185. And I'll see how I feel at that weight. Maybe then go to 175. But I could NEVER get down to 150 and maintain it. Ever. People are calling me "skinny" now and I'm not down to 185 at all.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently happily maintaining at 82-85kg (180-187).

I got down to 150lb, and it was too skinny for me. Bulked back up here with now zero intentions of cutting any weight. Other than shifting my range to 80-83kg, just cause water loading to make weight for meets sucks.
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I want to be around 160-170. I was 170 in HS (Although I never looked my weight so people guessed 140) only for me to gain 30 pounds and be 200. (Although people assumed I'm 170ish). I can tell the difference though severely in my body and would love to go back down to my original weight.
  • KatherinePM
    KatherinePM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I'm closer to 5'9" and my goal is to stay around 130lb, more specifically goal is to have waist at 28" and that's about it, really, more than the pounds; if I can gain some muscle in my butt then bigger hip measurement would be OK with me but not seeking to get bigger anywhere at this point.

I am built streamlined and not curvy I guess, and historically have looked best when pretty light, 125-130. But at 125lb I had 20% bodyfat and was 33-28-35, with 18" thighs; made an effort to gain fitness and muscle (bulk) now at 135lb I am 20% bodyfat and 35-29-37 with thighs at least 21" so think I gained appx. 8lb muscle and 2lb fat, and am not sure I can drop much without losing healthy body mass. So goal is changed to waist size not weight.

Me too. If I was more hourglass shaped or even pear shaped I'd probably be happier with a higher weight. But I'm either apple or square shaped so a lighter weight suits me (unless I get butt and boob implants :smiley: lol)

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Paiger816 wrote: »
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" (42 yrs old) and have been maintaining around 138-140lbs for two years now. I lost about 15 lbs and feel like this is the perfect weight for me. Since I wasn't technically overweight it was not as much about losing weight, it was reducing my BF%.

I want your stomach. <3 (I mean that in a super non-creepy way!) You look fab.

Thank you!! I appreciate the compliment! :smile: