Stomach Fat

Options
I started my journey on Dec 4th 2015 and have faithfully committed to changing my health and lifestyle. I've focused on diet and exercise and overall well being. I'm down 55 pounds and I'm feeling really good. I would like to lose another 50. My main struggle is the weight I carry in my stomach and lower belly. Im doing 45-50 min of cardio 5 days a week. Does anyone have success methods they can share with me to help reduce my stomach fat?

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It comes off from all over , if you gained around your tummy first sadly it will most likely come off there last. Measure each month all over , tops of arms , thighs calf hips and chest and neck , as well as tummy you will notice after a few times that the size reduces from everywhere !
    A good thing to add to your routine could be some resistance/ strength training at least twice a week for good muscle retention results
  • jmrea334
    jmrea334 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I should have added, yes I do strength training as well. Should I increase my cardio time? I'm not looking to isolate, and I am sticking to a 1400 calorie diet. I am loosing weight from my midsection but it seems to be less rapidly than the other areas on my body. I've read that cardio is the only way to get rid of stomach fat, wasn't sure if that's what I need to focus on or not?
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Calorie deficit works for all fat including tummy , cardio is optional , only way to lose weight is calorie deficit how you create that is up to you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jmrea334 wrote: »
    I should have added, yes I do strength training as well. Should I increase my cardio time? I'm not looking to isolate, and I am sticking to a 1400 calorie diet. I am loosing weight from my midsection but it seems to be less rapidly than the other areas on my body. I've read that cardio is the only way to get rid of stomach fat, wasn't sure if that's what I need to focus on or not?

You're still talking spot reduction, which is not possible. Stomach fat is notoriously slow to go for many people. I'm talking you may find it disproportionately slow until the last 10 pounds. With 50 pounds to go you just need to keep doing what you're doing and be patient.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've done a really good job so far and that if you just carry on you will get there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    jmrea334 wrote: »
    Doing more cardio will not target the fat around your midsection. Keep up the good work.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've read an article somewhere that fat accumulation in the stomach area can be due to stress. Can you add in some calming/balancing practices - like yoga and/or meditation? Otherwise, I would say what you are doing now is good....continue along with your diet ensuring it's as clean as possible (but do add in the occasional treats so you can enjoy and live this way as a permanent healthy lifestyle). Cardio and strength training looks ok too. Just keep going. :)
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what lost you the first 50lbs, it'll be a slower process but be patient and you'll reap the rewards.
    More cardio isn't necessary going to help, it will create more of a deficit but unless you have a cardio goal in mind, I'd stick with 45 to 50 minutes.
  • jmrea334
    jmrea334 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you :)
    Yes, I do have a very stressful career and I think that in order for me to have an overall healthy lifestyle I will need to find a way to manage the stress. Exercise is helping, I do look forward to it most days. I'm now at a fairly comfortable place to look at yoga as an option as well.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Spot Reduction does not work. Just eat at a calorie deficit to make stomach fat disappear.

Agreed. I started in early 2015, have lost 107 lbs and still, even at my current 15% body fat, have some fat left in the belly area. For just about everyone, that's the first place you gain it, and the last place you will lose it. Just keep it up, get yourself to a normal BMI, then increase the strength training at that point. It's tough to gain muscle in a deficit, so that's not necessary but can't hurt. The muscle I have gained in the last year could have probably been gained in a couple of months had I not been in a deficit. That doesn't mean the effort is wasted, but your current efforts sound good. Keep it up and it'll go, it'll just take a good amount of time. Even after that fat is gone, there may be loose skin, and that can take up to another couple of years to go away completely, or improve. I get in a hurry sometimes and work harder and eat less, but honestly all it does is make me more tired. I do better overall if I keep consistent with what is working.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I mentioned this in another post, belly fat is not a weight issue its a hormone issue it's High Cortisol Levels. You can't lower cortisol by dieting, only calories are lowered by dieting. No amount of belly excercises or calorie deficits are going to totally eliminate it. You need to CALM DOWN. Cortisol is a stress hormone and your body's natural response is "I better hold onto this fat " Becuase its a survival mehinism, Body fat is a survival gland. and evidently you've mentioned you have a stressful job. You lower it by reducing stress. That includes stressful people too and stressfull situations Do not overtrain or lower you calories to cause more stress to your body. Your body is telling you " hey im stressed " its puts your body in fight or flight mode listen to it and relax. Once you've evened out you stress level the belly fat will start to dissolve gradually by you excercise and dieting & maintaining a less stressfull life in general. Also do not be sleep deprived, make sure you get enough Rest. Cheers
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and heavy lifting.
  • jemhh
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in another post, belly fat is not a weight issue its a hormone issue it's High Cortisol Levels. You can't lower cortisol by dieting, only calories are lowered by dieting. No amount of belly excercises or calorie deficits are going to totally eliminate it. You need to CALM DOWN. Cortisol is a stress hormone and your body's natural response is "I better hold onto this fat " Becuase its a survival mehinism, Body fat is a survival gland. and evidently you've mentioned you have a stressful job. You lower it by reducing stress. That includes stressful people too and stressfull situations Do not overtrain or lower you calories to cause more stress to your body. Your body is telling you " hey im stressed " its puts your body in fight or flight mode listen to it and relax. Once you've evened out you stress level the belly fat will start to dissolve gradually by you excercise and dieting & maintaining a less stressfull life in general. Also do not be sleep deprived, make sure you get enough Rest. Cheers

I'm unable to give you my full thoughts on this without ending up banned. Just assume they would read like this: €÷%_******!!&***%#&)(*&! $@!

Simply put, a person with 50 pounds to lose has belly fat because she is overly fat, stress or not. That is not a slam on the OP. I have been 50 pounds overweight and I was just fat. Did I have stress? Of course. Few people do not. But my stomach fat was from eating too much, not from anything else. There's no reason to think otherwise with the OP.

When you hear hoof beats, think of horses and not zebras.

• frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The best type of exercise to lose belly fat is the one that you do. That said cardio exercises typically burn the most calories but for overall health you need a balance. It might be beneficial to cleanse your system. I'm not talking about just coffee or laxitives to have a large number two but an actual intestinal cleanse. They typically last a week or two and help get out the gunk stuck in the microvilli. If you ever do one you'll see that some particularly nasty stuff gets flushed out. It helps to have your excretion systems working top notch when you are trying to remove waste/fat from the body.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I'm unable to give you my full thoughts on this without ending up banned. Just assume they would read like this: €÷%_******!!&***%#&)(*&! $@!

Simply put, a person with 50 pounds to lose has belly fat because she is overly fat, stress or not. That is not a slam on the OP. I have been 50 pounds overweight and I was just fat. Did I have stress? Of course. Few people do not. But my stomach fat was from eating too much, not from anything else. There's no reason to think otherwise with the OP.

Wow. This^^^^^^^
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try no more trouble zones Jillian Michaels. Add warm up and 1 6min. Section to your cardio. DO NOT DO entire video in one day. 1 6min. Section for 5 days with the cardio you already do will help. Also try doing planks every night before bed. Hold for 20 sec. 3xs. for a full 60sec. Do this for a month and let me know your results. Also follow a high protein, high fiber, low carb, low fat, diet. Do only 2 fruits a day. So 3 veggies, and 2 fruits daily. Make sure you drink your water and limit caffine. Hope this works.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Go to bed exactly 3 hours after the moon rises. Do 10 minutes of meditation every morning. Bark like a dog every time you see a red car, but only if it is not immediately followed by a green car.

Do this in combination with a consistent calorie deficit over time, and that stomach fat will melt right off. Guaranteed.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Go to bed exactly 3 hours after the moon rises. Do 10 minutes of meditation every morning. Bark like a dog every time you see a red car, but only if it is not immediately followed by a green car.

Do this in combination with a consistent calorie deficit over time, and that stomach fat will melt right off. Guaranteed.

You are causing my stress level to increase. I can feel my belly expanding.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Not entirely. She specifically talked about stomach and lower belly fat and that is what I spoke off going with the title & description of the post. I'm simply explaining the mechanics behind the issue, It's not all about "but stomach fat is about eating too much" it's not. Neither is it calorie in and calorie out. If you want to lose weight and advise other people to do it properly make sure you know what your talking about so you can advice safe healthy weightloss. you are just stating the obvious and don't really know what you are talking about, perhaps proceed with caution when trying to advise someone on how to healthyly lose weight.