I have a bad sweet tooth after dinner

Options
Usually every night my husband and I have to have something sweet to eat. Anything from ice cream, tea & cookies, sometimes share a slice of banana bread or cake even 10 timbits. We did so good last year and started sharing a pear before bed but that didn't last long. Please help me cut this horrible habit out forever! We don't have beer guts, we have sugar guts!

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    As long as you account for a sweet treat in your daily calorie/macro allotment there's really no harm. I say have a half slice of banana bread after dinner. Just be sure to log it!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Usually every night my husband and I have to have something sweet to eat. Anything from ice cream, tea & cookies, sometimes share a slice of banana bread or cake even 10 timbits. We did so good last year and started sharing a pear before bed but that didn't last long. Please help me cut this horrible habit out forever! We don't have beer guts, we have sugar guts!

Cynsonya wrote: »
    As long as you account for a sweet treat in your daily calorie/macro allotment there's really no harm. I say have a half slice of banana bread after dinner. Just be sure to log it!

I agree that if you can make it work within your calorie goal, there is nothing wrong with having something sweet. I have a bit of dark chocolate most days.

However, if you really want to avoid eating treats, and you fall into the "can't eat just one" camp, then one simple solution is to not buy the stuff and bring it into the house in the first place. You can't eat what isn't there.

Instead, plan your treats deliberately and go out to get single servings. You and your husband could go out to an ice cream parlor on the weekend and get single cones instead of buying a half gallon of ice cream and eating it every night.

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If you can do moderation, then by all means have some ice cream or cookies.

If you struggle with moderation, maybe find healthier alternatives? Slice up bananas, dip in chocolate and freeze? Or maybe a baked apple?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    We have a serving of one of these ...

http://www.nestlesoleil.com.au/products

The last couple nights, we've had a serving of the chocolate mousse topped with a dab of light whipped cream. :)
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

The last couple nights, we've had a serving of the chocolate mousse topped with a dab of light whipped cream. :)

That looks soooo good! I googled it and it looks like it's only available in Australia. Is that where you are?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That looks soooo good! I googled it and it looks like it's only available in Australia. Is that where you are?

Yep its an Aussie product, and they do taste good. But they're tiny little tubs.

• Cynsonya
    Options
    Well boogers :/
  • Christine_72
    Options

Surely you guys have an equivalent product over there? I would be in giddy heaven if i got to shop in American grocery stores :love:

• Cynsonya
    Options

Surely you guys have an equivalent product over there? I would be in giddy heaven if i got to shop in American grocery stores :love:

Probably, lol. Those just looked really good :)
  • healthylifestyles001
    Options
    Well that makes me feel a bit better. I know I don't eat enough during the day so I'm sure in my logs a dessert would fit haha
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jello has a sugar free chocolate pudding that is very satisfying. I can't remember exactly but I think that it is about 80 or 90 calories per serving so is not bad at all. You add a spoon full of Fage on top to increase the protein and voila, you have a nice tasting desert without the guilt.

Edited to add:
    Jello - Chocolate and Vanilla Sugarless Pudding Cup, 1 cup (106g) 60 calories.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    OP I have the same problem.. I HAVE to have something sweet after dinner every night. I think for me, it's an ingrained mental habit. I've done it for years, and now my brain expects it. It's a hard habit to break.
  • dsbroussard82
    dsbroussard82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm Not sure if I'm allowed to mention specific products in the mfp forums so I'll be vague in hopes that you can get the clue and search the product I am talking about.

There is a whey protein isolate powder that is made to taste almost exactly like many of the popular children's cereal. It is produced by a company based in Conroe Texas USA.

I mix 1 scoop of powder with 1 cup of soy milk and pour it over rice cereal. "Snap crackle pop!" Cereal. And what you get is cereal that taste just like the flavor of your favorite childhood cereal without the sugar and instead you get a ton of protein.There are many flavors available that match most of the popular cereals on the shelves of the grocery stores.

This has really helped my sweet tooth tremendously while It helps me hit my protein target.

Give it a try!
  • dsbroussard82
    dsbroussard82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And of course fruit always helps also
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm Not sure if I'm allowed to mention specific products in the mfp forums so I'll be vague in hopes that you can get the clue and search the product I am talking about.

There is a whey protein isolate powder that is made to taste almost exactly like many of the popular children's cereal. It is produced by a company based in Conroe Texas USA.

I mix 1 scoop of powder with 1 cup of soy milk and pour it over rice cereal. "Snap crackle pop!" Cereal. And what you get is cereal that taste just like the flavor of your favorite childhood cereal without the sugar and instead you get a ton of protein.There are many flavors available that match most of the popular cereals on the shelves of the grocery stores.

This has really helped my sweet tooth tremendously while It helps me hit my protein target.

Give it a try!

Yes, you can mention product names in the forum. As long as you're not selling said product :wink:
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes tend to curb that sweet tooth for me. Just have to find one you enjoy
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Go for a walk instead?

Do you both HAVE to have something sweet after dinner, or does one partner and they encourage the other one to "have something with me"? If you both want something find something that fits your calories while still getting your nutrients, but don't pressure one partner it they don't really want it.
  • Machka9
    Options

That is where I am! :)

But there were similar things in Canada when I lived there. My favourite was Yoplait Source yogurt - the lemon meringue flavour in particular. It was delicious!

http://www.vivredelicieusement.ca/lmdbrands/yoplait/source

http://www.vivredelicieusement.ca/lmdbrands/yoplait/source/5692006075 - source tub lemon meringue
  • Machka9
    Options
    Another thing I like is a rooibos chai tea. That's a naturally sweet tea ... you don't need to add sugar or milk or anything. A cup of that after dinner is really nice. :)

Or I'll do a lemon ginger tea, and if I want it a little bit sweet, I add a little bit of Stevia.
  • aeldredge1988
    aeldredge1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Jello has a sugar free chocolate pudding that is very satisfying. I can't remember exactly but I think that it is about 80 or 90 calories per serving so is not bad at all. You add a spoon full of Fage on top to increase the protein and voila, you have a nice tasting desert without the guilt.

Edited to add:
    Jello - Chocolate and Vanilla Sugarless Pudding Cup, 1 cup (106g) 60 calories.

Oh that is perfect!