Stomach Fat

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in another post, belly fat is not a weight issue its a hormone issue it's High Cortisol Levels. You can't lower cortisol by dieting, only calories are lowered by dieting. No amount of belly excercises or calorie deficits are going to totally eliminate it. You need to CALM DOWN. Cortisol is a stress hormone and your body's natural response is "I better hold onto this fat " Becuase its a survival mehinism, Body fat is a survival gland. and evidently you've mentioned you have a stressful job. You lower it by reducing stress. That includes stressful people too and stressfull situations Do not overtrain or lower you calories to cause more stress to your body. Your body is telling you " hey im stressed " its puts your body in fight or flight mode listen to it and relax. Once you've evened out you stress level the belly fat will start to dissolve gradually by you excercise and dieting & maintaining a less stressfull life in general. Also do not be sleep deprived, make sure you get enough Rest. Cheers

OP - ignore all of the above.

Stay in a calorie deficit. You're doing great. You've lost 55 lbs so far. You will get where you want to be if you just keep on trucking. Just keep eating at a deficit. That is all that is needed.

The belly fat will come off eventually, as long as you're patient and consistent.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Whenever I see a belly fat thread with more than 7 comments I have to wonder what in the world is going on. I'm not even going to touch it. I assume someone posted the "so you want a nice stomach" link already.

Who needs common sense advice when 6 minutes of Jillian Michaels, a good cleanse, and calming down will help our survival glands, princess?
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Go to bed exactly 3 hours after the moon rises. Do 10 minutes of meditation every morning. Bark like a dog every time you see a red car, but only if it is not immediately followed by a green car.

Do this in combination with a consistent calorie deficit over time, and that stomach fat will melt right off. Guaranteed.

You are causing my stress level to increase. I can feel my belly expanding.

I can recommend a good cleanse for that
  • MermaidAmanda10
    MermaidAmanda10 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing! It will come off! :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see a belly fat thread with more than 7 comments I have to wonder what in the world is going on. I'm not even going to touch it. I assume someone posted the "so you want a nice stomach" link already.

I had to double check, yes it was! LOL
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go to bed exactly 3 hours after the moon rises. Do 10 minutes of meditation every morning. Bark like a dog every time you see a red car, but only if it is not immediately followed by a green car.

Do this in combination with a consistent calorie deficit over time, and that stomach fat will melt right off. Guaranteed.

You are causing my stress level to increase. I can feel my belly expanding.

I can recommend a good cleanse for that

My microvilli thank you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, ignore all the noise and listen to the people who are telling you to keep doing what you're doing, That stomach fat can be stubborn for some of us! I only had 20 lbs to lose, and the first 15 came off my arms, my legs, then my butt, then finally a little bit off my stomach. After a break this winter I'm rolling up my sleeves and going back in to lose another 5-10 and see if it finally gets rid of my gut :) Everyone in my family has gained weight first in the belly and lost it last there, so I knew that's probably what would happen. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I had to double check, yes it was! LOL

Thank you. I couldn't deal with reading the thread lol.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in another post, belly fat is not a weight issue its a hormone issue it's High Cortisol Levels. You can't lower cortisol by dieting, only calories are lowered by dieting. No amount of belly excercises or calorie deficits are going to totally eliminate it. You need to CALM DOWN. Cortisol is a stress hormone and your body's natural response is "I better hold onto this fat " Becuase its a survival mehinism, Body fat is a survival gland. and evidently you've mentioned you have a stressful job. You lower it by reducing stress. That includes stressful people too and stressfull situations Do not overtrain or lower you calories to cause more stress to your body. Your body is telling you " hey im stressed " its puts your body in fight or flight mode listen to it and relax. Once you've evened out you stress level the belly fat will start to dissolve gradually by you excercise and dieting & maintaining a less stressfull life in general. Also do not be sleep deprived, make sure you get enough Rest. Cheers

I also hope you understand stress is a lot more things than you're thinking it is. The fight-or-flight mechanism, more accurately known as the sympathetic nervous system, comes on just from the stress of standing up - some people with impairments will feint on rising because they don't stress out fast enough.
    Of course now instead of bothering to actually gain a deeper understanding of what you're referencing, I imagine you'll tell people to lie down more to get rid of stress induced belly fat.
  • sistaqtpie
    sistaqtpie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on carbs might help. Here's a link I checked out, I hope it is helpful. https://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-ways-to-lose-belly-fat/
  • cjsaturday
    cjsaturday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    be conscious of your cortisol levels, cortisol is a natural chemical produced in your body released during times of stress (mental and physical) Cortisol does have an impact on that stubborn belly fat.

Also, make sure you are staying in an anabolic state most of the day. Consistency with this will move mountains.

Instead of increasing your cardio I would decrease your cardio. Instead replace with 10-20 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) a a few times per week. Get your heart pumping as hard as you can for 20 seconds on then rest for 20 seconds repeat. (you can use 30 as well) This will be very hard and you may only be able to get a few minutes the first few times.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. OP still has 50 lbs to lose. She doesn't need to change anything, nothing is actually wrong. What she needs to do is keep doing what she's doing, which is eating at a deficit and consistently losing weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Haha I knew there had to be some shenanigans happening within this thread as soon as i saw the amount of posts in it...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Um, this is mostly broscience. Exercise reduces stress, BUT exercise raises cortisol. And cortisol ISN'T bad. If one understands physiology, cortisol is a necessity for good digestion and it's also the main anti inflammatory hormone in the body (ever hear of cortisone cream?).
    And body fat ISN'T a "survival gland". Body fat is ADIPOSE TISSUE and is actually an endocrine organ. If you're going to spout information, make sure it's correct and not just made up stuff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    The best type of exercise to lose belly fat is the one that you do. That said cardio exercises typically burn the most calories but for overall health you need a balance. It might be beneficial to cleanse your system. I'm not talking about just coffee or laxitives to have a large number two but an actual intestinal cleanse. They typically last a week or two and help get out the gunk stuck in the microvilli. If you ever do one you'll see that some particularly nasty stuff gets flushed out. It helps to have your excretion systems working top notch when you are trying to remove waste/fat from the body.
    Yeah, no. Fat is burned through oxidation and not waste. You actually "breathe" out fat. And cleanses don't have an evidence of removing "gunk" that a good diet with fiber couldn't take care of.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Try no more trouble zones Jillian Michaels. Add warm up and 1 6min. Section to your cardio. DO NOT DO entire video in one day. 1 6min. Section for 5 days with the cardio you already do will help. Also try doing planks every night before bed. Hold for 20 sec. 3xs. for a full 60sec. Do this for a month and let me know your results. Also follow a high protein, high fiber, low carb, low fat, diet. Do only 2 fruits a day. So 3 veggies, and 2 fruits daily. Make sure you drink your water and limit caffine. Hope this works.
    Exercise is for health and fitness. As mentioned you CANNOT target fat on any body part with exercise. And no need to do an extreme diet. Just need to make sure there's a moderate deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Much more sensible than a couple of others I've read on this thread. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm unable to give you my full thoughts on this without ending up banned. Just assume they would read like this: €÷%_******!!&***%#&)(*&! $@!

Simply put, a person with 50 pounds to lose has belly fat because she is overly fat, stress or not. That is not a slam on the OP. I have been 50 pounds overweight and I was just fat. Did I have stress? Of course. Few people do not. But my stomach fat was from eating too much, not from anything else. There's no reason to think otherwise with the OP.

When you hear hoof beats, think of horses and not zebras.

Not entirely. She specifically talked about stomach and lower belly fat and that is what I spoke off going with the title & description of the post. I'm simply explaining the mechanics behind the issue, It's not all about "but stomach fat is about eating too much" it's not. Neither is it calorie in and calorie out. If you want to lose weight and advise other people to do it properly make sure you know what your talking about so you can advice safe healthy weightloss. you are just stating the obvious and don't really know what you are talking about, perhaps proceed with caution when trying to advise someone on how to healthyly lose weight.
    What's you actual education because you've spouted of some very inaccurate information as well as misleading information?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Stefan_Bogdan
    Stefan_Bogdan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jmrea334 wrote: »
    I started my journey on Dec 4th 2015 and have faithfully committed to changing my health and lifestyle. I've focused on diet and exercise and overall well being. I'm down 55 pounds and I'm feeling really good. I would like to lose another 50. My main struggle is the weight I carry in my stomach and lower belly. Im doing 45-50 min of cardio 5 days a week. Does anyone have success methods they can share with me to help reduce my stomach fat?

hello! great job on losing so much ! Keep it up ! and do not worry , belly fat sadly is the last to go , so get used to that idea . Also , i dont like how much cardio you are doing , its a bit much . please replace 2 of those days with weightlifting, especially squats, it will tighten your core and it will actually look that you are losing belly fat a bit.
    Remember that too much cardio will burn away your muscles , and muscles are burning a lot of calories so dont work against yourself.
    you will not get jacked , no matter how much weightlifting you do :smile: .

Good luck !
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jmrea334 wrote: »
    I started my journey on Dec 4th 2015 and have faithfully committed to changing my health and lifestyle. I've focused on diet and exercise and overall well being. I'm down 55 pounds and I'm feeling really good. I would like to lose another 50. My main struggle is the weight I carry in my stomach and lower belly. Im doing 45-50 min of cardio 5 days a week. Does anyone have success methods they can share with me to help reduce my stomach fat?

hello! great job on losing so much ! Keep it up ! and do not worry , belly fat sadly is the last to go , so get used to that idea . Also , i dont like how much cardio you are doing , its a bit much . please replace 2 of those days with weightlifting, especially squats, it will tighten your core and it will actually look that you are losing belly fat a bit.
    Remember that too much cardio will burn away your muscles , and muscles are burning a lot of calories so dont work against yourself.
    you will not get jacked , no matter how much weightlifting you do :smile: .

Good luck !

Cardio does not burn muscles - if you are using muscle why on earth would you lose it? It's only a fuel of last resort - the OP has a very generous supply of energy! "Too much" is actually a ridiculously high amount that is beyond the reach of normal people.

Muscle tissue does not burn a lot of calories unless is actually being used.