March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    New shoes, saucony kinavara. Not bad. Need different socks, already have a open sore on my heel. Legs wanted to run, so I had to make 'em walk. I couldn't get comfortable in a slower pace. Nice progress from the October half. :smiley:

I've been running in Kinvaras for a couple years now. I do best with wool socks, even in the summer. Darn Tough works very well, my Smartwool socks are good, but so long that I only use them in the winter. Got a pair of Feetures as a prize for 2nd in an age group, and they don't seem to be standing up to the wear the way Darn Tough and Smartwool do.

FWIW, I only got a little over 300 miles out of Kinvara 4's. My first pair of Kinvara 5's was retired at 347, the second and third are currently at 360 and 325 miles and still feeling good. I hope the Kinvara 6's I have in boxes waiting to go into rotation do as well as the 5's have done. (I wear 3 pair in rotation. Among other reasons, if I have twinges after wearing the white pair that I don't have after wearing the blue or green pair, that tells me the white pair needs to be retired.)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    New shoes, saucony kinavara. Not bad. Need different socks, already have a open sore on my heel. Legs wanted to run, so I had to make 'em walk. I couldn't get comfortable in a slower pace. Nice progress from the October half. :smiley:

I've been running in Kinvaras for a couple years now. I do best with wool socks, even in the summer. Darn Tough works very well, my Smartwool socks are good, but so long that I only use them in the winter. Got a pair of Feetures as a prize for 2nd in an age group, and they don't seem to be standing up to the wear the way Darn Tough and Smartwool do.

FWIW, I only got a little over 300 miles out of Kinvara 4's. My first pair of Kinvara 5's was retired at 347, the second and third are currently at 360 and 325 miles and still feeling good. I hope the Kinvara 6's I have in boxes waiting to go into rotation do as well as the 5's have done. (I wear 3 pair in rotation. Among other reasons, if I have twinges after wearing the white pair that I don't have after wearing the blue or green pair, that tells me the white pair needs to be retired.)

Thanks for the info. I wore smartwool socks but they didn't come up high enough in the back. I'll just have to remember to grab a different pair. And I suspect these shoes are a half size big. When I bought them, it was suggested to buy up a half size (online shopping). But, they don't feel sloppy. I think once I get the lacing dialed in they will be great. I like the idea of the 3 pair rotation. I may try it when I find the right shoe.

Was happy that my left foot did not complain in these (usually does with all other shoes).
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I've heard a lot (and experience personally) the difference that weight loss can make on running. I'm pretty shocked by this though: "The general guideline for weight loss for women runners is 1200 to 1500 calories a day, and 1500 to 1800 calories a day for men" :worried: Seems almost irresponsible to recommend such a low calorie intake, especially to runners! I couldn't imagine trying to run while eating so little... As the saying goes, If you chase two rabbits you won't catch either one. I think it's probably better to focus on either losing weight or getting faster, but both at the same time sounds like it could be too much.

I could go on a HUGE rant about blanket statements like that. FWIW, I found a program that told me to eat 1900 calories per day for weight loss. I did it, and lost 2 pounds a week instead of the 1 pound it was targeting. And I was not a runner at the time. I started running as I neared goal weight, lost 12 more pounds learning how to stop losing weight, and ended up eating around 2800 calories per day to maintain while running 15 miles a week. As I go toward taper, I just cut my base calories from 3500 per day to 3300, before adding back a few for running. [N.B. - I don't add back as much as Garmin says I burn. There's no way I can eat 1500 more calories on a long run day than on a rest day. Hence, base calories must get adjusted to keep the scale trending sideways.]

The thing is, people are different. If you're close to the average, the number works for you. If you aren't it doesn't. If you burn fewer calories than the average, you follow the recommendations and wonder why you can't lose weight. If you burn more calories than the average (as I apparently do), you follow the recommendations and wonder why everyone can't lose weight, it's so easy.

In addition to people being different, I am appalled that Runner's World would make a blanket statement about how many calories to eat while "running." It should be pretty obvious to most people that there's a caloric difference between running 15 miles a week and running 30 miles a week. Quantifying the difference might be difficult, but pretending it doesn't exist is the wrong answer.

One size does not fit all.

• MobyCarp
    Options
    @Ohhim - That would be so cool, to qualify for both Boston and Kona! I do some of my long runs with a guy who will be running Kona 2016; he qualified by running 10+ iron man events. He says that to time qualify, he would have to take 3 years off work just to train.

It seems to me that qualifying for Kona is a lot more work, and a bigger achievement than qualifying for Boston. Then again, the non-running population will be even more clueless about Kona than they are about Boston; so you'll have to brag to your running and multi-sport friends.
  • shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 3.1 miles
    03/03 - 3.1 miles
    03/05 - 6.2 miles

03/08 - 3.1 miles
    03/11 - 3.1 miles

03/15 - 3.1 miles
    03/16 - 3.1 miles
    03/18 - 5.0 miles

03/21 - 4.0 miles

The "winter storm" that hit Boston last night ended up leaving 4 measly inches on the ground, which pretty much melted off the roads and sidewalks by mid-morning... so I got to run along the river as usual instead of at the gym :)

MTD: 33.8 / 40
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have pain on the bottom of my foot on an occasional run. It's usually about 2 miles in. It's the foot I can't bend my first 2 1/2 toes but half way, the foot that had the mysterious tendon hot spot on top. I just noticed I have 2 bruises where I have a sharp burning pain running. Coincidence? I don't remember stepping on anything. But I could have..

Any ideas? Guess I'll have to visit the podiatrist.
    20160321_192301_zpsnqmowuhc.jpg
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    On the calories topic, last time I really tried (ha) I lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks on 1800 average. I'm barely over 5ft tall, work a desk job 4 days a week, and was only running like 10 miles a week but exercising 6 days a week. I have no excuse for needing to lose 10lbs right now :)

As for the non-runner comments, my favorite is "Don't you get bored?" Boring is the last word I'd use to describe running!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@MobyCarp I loved the Kinvaras. But after I burned through three pairs of Kinvara 5s in a year (I made holes in the toe boxes of all of them and wore the tread down to nothing... oops), I had to give them up. Not worth the $100-110 price tag for shoes that only last a couple months with the high mileage I'm putting in. The Ride 8s survive ~600 miles (I have a soon-to-retire pair that's a few miles shy of 600 today) and are only $10 more (and way more plushy... nice for those 60 mile weeks!)! But oh, how I loved those bright coral K5s.....

@Elise4270 Re your foot: how long have you had the burning spots on your feet? Could those be bug bites? I've had to run with a bug bite on the bottom of my foot before and it burned for a while til my foot got tired of sending my brain "Ouch!!" signals.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 – 8.17 easy + 4 strides
    3/8 – 11.67 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/9 – 11.03 easy
    3/10 – 8.92 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/11 – scheduled rest day
    3/12 – 15.10 easy 2 solo, pace 8, race 5
    Weekly total 62.59 vs. target 62

3/13 – 11.00 – 4 easy, 3 MP, 4 easy
    3/14 – 5.74 easy + 4 strides
    3/15 – 7.96 easy
    3/16 – 9.41 easy
    3/17 – 9.79 easy
    3/18 – scheduled rest day 2.38 easy
    3/19 – 22.03 (14 with 8:00 pace group + 8 solo)
    Weekly total 68.31 vs. target 68

3/20 – 7.39 easy with stride at end
    3/21 – 8.24 easy + 4 strides
    3/22 –
    3/23 –
    3/24 –
    3/25 –
    3/26 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 193.92

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Snow showers at noon, but sunlight and 41° at 6 PM for running. There was enough wind to motivate me to wear light tights and a jacket, but it was still pleasant running. The iffy ankle was okay with the strides at the end. I think I could do some easy speed work, but the Yasso 800s on the plan for tomorrow are too much to risk at this point.

Upcoming races:
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options

@Elise4270 Re your foot: how long have you had the burning spots on your feet? Could those be bug bites? I've had to run with a bug bite on the bottom of my foot before and it burned for a while til my foot got tired of sending my brain "Ouch!!" signals.

It's been an issue for a three-ish months. I've just been ignoring it, but with the toes being weird.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 @ceciliaslater

A few days ago the 6633 Arctic Ultra (566 km) ended and a romanian won it

The romanian president decided to congratulate him but made the mistake of calling it the Arctic Marathon. I'm guessing for non-runners everything that involves running for 1 hour or more is a marathon
    ^^^this is my husband! Every race I run from 5k to HM is a 'marathon' as far as he is concerned... He will tell people 'oh, she just ran a marathon' doesn't matter how often I tell him otherwise - I think anything more than a mile seems long to him, therefore it is a marathon by default
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni yes, I did register for the Eat My Crust 5k. The medal is suppose to even smell like pizza! Ha ha. I've ran this run a couple years ago. (It's actually my PR 5k)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Happy 'late' Birthday!! Looks like an awesome celebration!
    @zmcgrandles - Congratulations on your first race and a PR!
    @ariceroni - love the costumes and congratulations on the PR and 2nd place!!
    @CivicSista - congratulaions on the relay finish! I have often thought that a relay would be a lot of fun.
    @brian_gunther - Congratulations and keep it up!!
    @skippygirlsmom - Skip is just awesome! Tell her congratulations! I am sorry you are missing Allan! How long is he gone for this time?
    @rohanivan - what and how much are you eating calorie wise? Do you eat before you run and has that changed recently? I know when I don't eat enough my running gets progressively worse because I have no energy.
    @Elise4270 - Fantastic running weekend with great bling! I can't believe you went out for a long recovery run, new shoes or not.
    In the sock conversation - I am a wool sock person and love Smartwool. I wear the micro run socks the majority of the time. I very rarely get blisters or any irritation and my feet don't get hot. I find how hot they get is more a function of the shoes.
    @WhatMeRunning - beet roots taste like dirt.. that is all... dirt...
    @ceciliaslater - Fantastic marathon finish!! Congratulations!!
    @ceckhardt369 - Way To Go hitting your goal early! As for the calf tightness... stretching, rolling, rest are probably best. I might also look at how many miles I have on my shoes - that is usually a sign mine need to be replaced soon.
    @louubelle16 - I only have one or two friends who really 'get' running and they were partially responsible for me actually running. Everyone else is worried about my health and what running 'at your age' is doing to your body! Well I can tell them that I am one of the healthiest people I know 'at my age' and that I love when my doctor tells me I am her healthiest patient or that when I was in the prep for my hand surgery and setting off the alarms because my HR was so low! Ha!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km
    6 Mar – 10 km – first time ever!
    8 Mar – 7.5 km
    10 Mar – 5.1 km
    12 Mar – 5 km – parkrun PB!
    13 Mar – 10 km
    15 Mar – 7.5 km
    17 Mar – 5.4 km
    19 Mar – 5 km
    20 Mar – 13 km - furthest distance yet!
    22 Mar – 7.2 km

Total: 87.7 km
    Goal: 60 km

I might revise my goal to 100 km at this rate!
  • Meffordh
    Meffordh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    God damn , i dont even think i cant finish 3 miles and every 1 here is saying 70 miles and omg i need to catch up
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Any Ironman (or similar tri) is just crazy impressive but to qualify is stunning. Those athletes just blow my mind, and I get all sorts of emotions watching those events. Best wishes on that journey, and looking forward to hearing about it!

@Elise4270 - I have no ideas on the foot. You should get that checked out for sure. Hope it is minor!

@shanaber - I used the beets in a smoothie with greek yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, mixed nuts and a small bit of kale and spinach. And stevia, and a little more stevia perhaps. I didn't get too much of a dirt taste and it was a good smoothie overall. Could definitely taste the non-dirt aspect of the beets with the occasional bit  of dirt flavor. I have that same problem with most root vegetables though, no amount of washing does away with all of the dirt flavor so I have to actually like the flavor of the vegetable to enjoy it. I hated beets all of my life until just a few weeks ago apparently. Except canned...those are still very disgusting!

@Meffordh - It was just about 18 months ago that I thought exactly the same as you about this group of lunatics. Successfully running over a mile without stopping was something I really struggled with. @Stoshew71 shared a meme that stuck with me, I hope he doesn't mind if I share it on his behalf...
    11-17-14-dont-compare.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater - Too funny! Maybe you taught the cashier something. :)
    @Meffordh - As @WhatMeRunning just posted we all started out slow. We aren't comparing ourselves to anyone here. We are cheering for everyone no matter where they are in their running journey.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run
    March 21 - 4.4 miles (after school) + day 1 of 28 squat challenge
    March 22 - 4.4 miles (intervals on a beautiful chilly morning) plus day 2 of squats (while blow drying hair - my dog was laying down on the bath rug next to me just staring like I'd lost my mind).

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Pretty uneventful 4 mile easy paced run along a somewhat hilly route in the very early pre-dawn hours. The air was the perfect temp, a little bit windy, especially on the uphill stretch (of course), and the moon was nice and bright in the sky being nearly full. Good and relaxing run. But nothing exciting to report. I don't think the ogres have come out of hibernation yet. I'm sure these runs will get more exciting as everything fully wakes out of winter.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles
    3/22 - 4 miles

114/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    3/17: DC mini-vacation
    3/18: DC mini-vacation
    3/19: 7.2 miles
    3/20: 20 birthday miles!
    3/21: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/22: Rest day!

Rest day! Which means doing the core work exercises I dislike most (the worst: side planks!). Calves continue to feel better; hopefully they'll be 100% when I set out to run tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    11-17-14-dont-compare.png

my other half has to keep reminding me of this. i've only started running 9 months ago. I'm still slow but I've greatly improved