March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71, @Amandajs232 - I will share any experiences/data I can, but from my readings the research that seemed to show benefits were in regards to drinking beet juice before a run. But there are potty break side effects that I certainly don't want to deal with considering the amount of planning I do to avoid such pit stops at my age/whatever. I suspect it will help with iron, and therefore the transport of oxygen to muscles via blood, at least more than if I did not have such an iron rich regular food source. I've noticed that even multivitamins are a bit weak on the iron to avoid giving too much. If I look at my diet overall some added iron like this is a good idea so I suspect I will rant and rave about beets being wonderful, but truth be told it's probably just something I needed to add to my diet anyway.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the congratulations everyone, it's nice to have you guys here to share an achievement with when I have 0 friends IRL who really 'get' running. I don't want to be told I'm mad, I want to be told I'm awesome, haha :tongue:

Congratulations to everyone else who ran this weekend! @ceciliaslater @ariceroni @Elise4270 @CivicSista

Just a super-easy 3 miles today. After really pushing at the weekend I need to slow it right down this week to recover and avoid any injuries. My race number and chip came for my half marathon today - less than 2 weeks! I'm so excited :smiley:

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles
    8th March - 3.30 miles
    12th March - 10.28 miles
    17th March - 3.77 miles
    19th March - 6.22 10km race PR!
    21st March - 3.06 miles

MTD - 42.82/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (km)
    3/1- 1.4 (1.4/35)
    3/2- 2.51 (3.91/35)
    3/3- 1.42 (5.33/35)
    3/4- DOMS hit hard. Need to remember to foam roll!
    3/5- Life
    3/6- 3 (8.33/35)
    3/7- Life
    3/8- 3.5 & 1.97 (13.8/35)
    3/9- 1.41 (15.21/35)
    3/10- Cross training
    3/11- Life
    3/12- 3.1 (18.31/35)
    3/13- 3.6 (21.91/35)
    3/14- Strength
    3/15- 3.6 (25.51/35)
    3/16- 5.1 (30.61/35) Shamrock 5k
    3/17- Rest kind of. Walked at work, taught fitness class (participated in about half)
    3/18- Rest and fun night out with friends
    3/19- 3.2 (33.81/35)
    3/20- Rest
    3/21- 3.6 (37.41/35) Great run! Stopped after the halfway point to stretch the calves, other than that I never walked more than a couple of steps to avoid a car or other obstacle. Breathing felt great, calves weren't happy most of the run but didn't full on cramp up, and while I'm slow I'm getting better at maintaining a consistent pace. It was one of those runs that reminds me of why I love running. Added bonus is I've met my goal for the month!!! Any advice on what to do about the calf tightness? I stretch and foam roll regularly.
    3/22-
    3/23-
    3/24-
    3/25-
    3/26-
    3/27-
    3/28-
    3/29-
    3/30-
    3/31-

Races
    March 16th- Shamrock Run (47:05)
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles
    13/3: 5.0 Miles
    14/3: 3.7 Miles
    16/3: 3.2 Miles
    18/3: 4.0 Miles
    20/3: 6.2 Miles
    21/3: 3.2 Miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the congratulations everyone, it's nice to have you guys here to share an achievement with when I have 0 friends IRL who really 'get' running. I don't want to be told I'm mad, I want to be told I'm awesome, haha :tongue:

Is't it possible to be mad and awesome at the same time?

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run
    March 21 - 4.4 miles (after school) + day 1 of 28 squat challenge

exercise.png

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/11: 5 miles, super easy
    3/12: 2 miles, warm up
    3/12: 5K race, 23:27
    3/13: 9 miles, easy with strong finish
    3/14: 5 miles, easy
    3/15: 5 miles, 1.5 miles at LT pace (7:40)
    3/16: 5 miles, easy
    3/17: 5 miles, 3x1/2 mile @ 7:00 pace with 1/2 mile recovery
    3/18: Off, rest day
    3/19: 3 miles, easy with quick finish
    3/20: 10 mile race, 1:19:39
    3/21: 4 miles, easy
    Total: 119.82 miles

Overview:
    Today’s run was a super easy, slow 4 miles to let my legs recover from yesterday. No pain anywhere so that’s good, though my legs were feeling pretty sore! It’s my last day in florida, I’m pretty sad to be leaving my family and the warmth :(

Thanks @WhatMeRunning @MNLittleFinn @CivicSista @Elise4270 @kristinegift @rohanivan @Stoshew71 @rune1990 @louubelle16 and anyone else I missed!

@CivicSista - I see we took matching pictures! Congratulations on the relay! You didn't happen to sign up for the Eat my Crust 5K, did you? I wont be in FL for that one, but the medals sounded really cute! I'm trying to talk my (non athletic) little sister into registering for it haha

@Elise4270 - Awesome race weekend, way to power through those races! Thanks for letting us know about the believe journal sale too; I'm almost all the way through my red one and have been meaning to get my hands on the lavender one next!

@kristinegift - Happy (belated) birthday! Seems like the perfect way to celebrate- with a nice long run and an awesome dinner! Sound like you got some pretty great presents too ;) I don't know about "blazing" fast but I'm pretty happy with my pace; my goal is to run a sub 1:45 half marathon (hopefully at my next one in 3 weeks!) so successfully racing 10 miles at my goal pace was a great confidence boost!

@MobyCarp - Thank you! I made the costumes myself, so that helped a lot. Was able to specifically design something that wouldn't get in the way of running (too much) while still fitting the theme! From what I could tell, I was the first person to finish in costume; too bad they don't give out awards for that too!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    03/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler 1:19:39 - PR and 2nd in my age group!
    03/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I've heard a lot (and experience personally) the difference that weight loss can make on running. I'm pretty shocked by this though: "The general guideline for weight loss for women runners is 1200 to 1500 calories a day, and 1500 to 1800 calories a day for men" :worried: Seems almost irresponsible to recommend such a low calorie intake, especially to runners! I couldn't imagine trying to run while eating so little... As the saying goes, If you chase two rabbits you won't catch either one. I think it's probably better to focus on either losing weight or getting faster, but both at the same time sounds like it could be too much.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I shaved off 3 minutes off my 5k time just by losing around 5 kg. From 26 min to 23 min. Didn't even felt hard. I'm 5 kg lighter now so probably I'm even faster. Should test it one day.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »

I've heard a lot (and experience personally) the difference that weight loss can make on running. I'm pretty shocked by this though: "The general guideline for weight loss for women runners is 1200 to 1500 calories a day, and 1500 to 1800 calories a day for men" :worried: Seems almost irresponsible to recommend such a low calorie intake, especially to runners! I couldn't imagine trying to run while eating so little... As the saying goes, If you chase two rabbits you won't catch either one. I think it's probably better to focus on either losing weight or getting faster, but both at the same time sounds like it could be too much.

I agree! Too few calories. I tanked in fall of 2014 from eating too little and getting too thin. Couldn't run a mile anymore. I could stand to lose 10lbs now though! I keep saying I'm gonna do that ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

@Elise4270 - Awesome race weekend, way to power through those races! Thanks for letting us know about the believe journal sale too; I'm almost all the way through my red one and have been meaning to get my hands on the lavender one next!

Your welcome. I had the red one first, and it was hand signed by Lo&Ro. My lavender one isn't signed. :frowning:
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Conversation of the day:

Random cashier: You're not moving very well today.
    Me: I ran a marathon yesterday.
    Cashier: Oh, a 5k?
    Me: Uh, no. 26.2 miles...

*shakes head* silly non runners!
  • AdrianChr92
    edited March 2016
    Options

I agree! Too few calories. I tanked in fall of 2014 from eating too little and getting too thin. Couldn't run a mile anymore. I could stand to lose 10lbs now though! I keep saying I'm gonna do that ;)

most likely they need to address to the entire crowd. If you are just 10 pounds over your ideal weight those seem good. But if they said 2500 for a man and a guy at 170 lbs wanted to get to 160 while running 10 k a week obviously would complain that he doesn't lose weight. 1800 for a man generally isn't that less since the average man consumes 2500 a day to maintain and women 2000. So they probably based on that
    Conversation of the day:

Ha this happened to me on sunday. Finish my 6k run and wanted a kebab since I craved it so much and the vendor looked at me and asked me while I'm so sweatty. Told her I just ran a short one and she asked me how much. Just 6k. Her response "you sure you don't want fries?"

Also "be careful that your heart won't explode" cracks me up every time, especially when overweight people tell that

.....Date.....Distance...Pace (min/km).........................Random thought of the day
    March 01 - rest
    March 02 - 5 km............(4:42).........Stop bouncing like Bambi you idiot you gonna kill your knees
    March 03 - 7 km............(6:00)............................Bend at the ankles not the waist.
    March 04 - 3.5 km.........(7.46)....................A metronome app helps with your cadence
    March 05 - rest
    March 06 - 15 km..........(6:00)............Need to taper long run next week but don't want to
    March 07 - 5 km............(7:08).........................,.............Treadmills suck
    March 08 - rest(4k walk)
    March 09 - 3 km............(6:00).................................Treadmills really suck
    March 10 - dead
    March 11 - dead
    March 12 - dead
    March 13 - dead
    March 14 - 4 km.............(4:20).......................Turns out I'm quite good at biomechanics
    March 15 - rest
    March 16 - 4.4 km..........(6:50).................I can't do this any slower watch leave me alone
    March 17 - 3.4 km..........(5:50)......................Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap
    March 18 - 3.4 km..........(5:00)........................................Gotta go fast
    March 19 - rest (xt)
    March 20 - 6.5 km..........(5:40)........................................Praise the sun
    March 21 - 5.3 km+ONE (1) hour of stationary bike.Above & Beyond Acoustic - "Satellite / Stealing Time"

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run (registered)
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest (registered)
    15/05: Bucharest Half Marathon (need to register till march 31)
  • Elise4270
    Options

Hey that's awesome (for me)! That's where I've found I don't gain. I noticed this week that I can pinch more skin so that's a win, even though the scale won't move. It's slow, but progress. I'm sure those numbers are net.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    In regards to the discussion on daily calories for runners...

My daily calorie intake calculated by MFP for my current weight of 247 pounds (BMI 32.3) is 1880 calories per day, set to 1.5 pounds/week loss. Any running I do I eat back those exercise calories. So I guess 1800 is about right for me if you DON'T count running AND assume 1.5 pounds/week weight loss.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Conversation of the day:

Haha! So funny! I heard several of the half runners yesterday reffer to themselves as marathoners. Maybe they were, but I have to think they were confused.

@AdrianChr92 haha! Your heart will explode.
  • AdrianChr92
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @elise4270 @ceciliaslater

A few days ago the 6633 Arctic Ultra (566 km) ended and a romanian won it

The romanian president decided to congratulate him but made the mistake of calling it the Arctic Marathon. I'm guessing for non-runners everything that involves running for 1 hour or more is a marathon
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ended up doing my 20 miler today instead of yesterday as I ended up grabbing dinner with guests at too awkward of a time yesterday to get in my run then. Still, it worked out well as the weather was cooler today, and aside from the usual long distance knee soreness, I was feeling pretty fresh at the end. Down to 82 miles left for the month, which should be doable as I'd like to get in another 20 miler next weekend and I'm mostly done with my biking mileage.

Just had a cycling buddy qualify for the ironman 70.3 world championships last weekend, and I know I'm nearly as fast of a biker, and am a faster runner, so I'm definitely going to set my sights on that as my next goal after qualifying for Boston.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles
    3/10 - 13 miles
    3/12 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 6 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles (St. Patrick's day run past lots of bars in my shiny gold hat & green shirt)
    3/18 - 1 mile (pre lift warmup)
    3/19 - 10 miles
    3/21 - 20 miles

Total: 118 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 82 miles
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Back to my regular schedule tomorrow. Ready! And feeling much better.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Conversation of the day:

Conversation after church, Sunday 3/13:

Friend: Good luck next week!
    Me: [blank stare. I had just run a very good 5 mile race, and had a 15K coming up in 2 weeks; but next week was only training runs.]
    Friend: Next week is your marathon, isn't it?
    Me: No, wrong month. Boston is in April. [Go on to explain what Patriot Day is, and the Paul Revere ride reference.]

Even when non-runners get that you're doing something significant, they don't track the details like a runner would. And when tell non-runners that I ran a half marathon, they have great difficulty hearing the word, "half."

But on the other hand, one of the fun things you can do is tell a non-runner, "I only ran X miles today." It doesn't matter whether X is 2, or 4, or 15; the non-runner tends to be dumbfounded that you can say "only" before a distance they can't imagine running.