Can't stop eating junk food

Options
I'm good for two weeks at most eating healthy and then I give up . I eat so much sweet stuff and junk food and I'm back to square one again. Any suggestions for me ?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you log it? You can pretty much eat whatever you want as long as you are in a deficit. Eating lean meats, vegetables, fruit is a really good idea but......................... it's all about the deficit.
  • martinasloyan379
    martinasloyan379 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes I log it but I've no motivation recently to keep it in deficit . Today I was over it by nearly 2000 calories. Sometimes I'm so motivated and other times I'm the complete opposite . I'm an emotional eater too .
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    http://jamesclear.com/junk-food-science

Is a pretty good article on why we go after junk food and binge eat it also and it might help with the emotional eating you talked about.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Is a pretty good article on why we go after junk food and binge eat it also and it might help with the emotional eating you talked about.

Great article! You won't find much support for it here.....
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

Great article! You won't find much support for it here.....

Why not?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you being super restrictive with your calories or limiting food groups? Sometimes it's easier to adhere to a diet when we can fit in treats here or there. For example-I am in a slightly aggressive deficit at the moment, but I also plan for a higher calorie day over the weekend that brings me up to a more moderate deficit for the entire week. I plan it out and look forward to it, so I can stick to my goal during the week. In a moderate or small deficit I find ways to make my favorite snacks work:chocolate, popcorn, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm good for two weeks at most eating healthy and then I give up . I eat so much sweet stuff and junk food and I'm back to square one again. Any suggestions for me ?

A lot of people have similar struggles when they try to take too restrictive of an approach with their diet, they end up going overboard when they can't take it anymore. Many people (myself included) have better success when they eat the foods they enjoy in moderation as part of a primarily nutrient dense diet. Rather than cutting out all sweets and other foods that you crave, have you tried working them into your diet in small amounts? A piece of dark chocolate, a slice of pizza, a serving of ice cream?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Yeah. Stop eating it...
  • martinasloyan379
    Options

Thanks so much such an interesting article !!
  • martinasloyan379
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Are you being super restrictive with your calories or limiting food groups? Sometimes it's easier to adhere to a diet when we can fit in treats here or there. For example-I am in a slightly aggressive deficit at the moment, but I also plan for a higher calorie day over the weekend that brings me up to a more moderate deficit for the entire week. I plan it out and look forward to it, so I can stick to my goal during the week. In a moderate or small deficit I find ways to make my favorite snacks work:chocolate, popcorn, etc.

Yes I am being super restrictive and didn't realise it was the root of my problems ! Thanks so much that's a great idea !!
  • martinasloyan379
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

A lot of people have similar struggles when they try to take too restrictive of an approach with their diet, they end up going overboard when they can't take it anymore. Many people (myself included) have better success when they eat the foods they enjoy in moderation as part of a primarily nutrient dense diet. Rather than cutting out all sweets and other foods that you crave, have you tried working them into your diet in small amounts? A piece of dark chocolate, a slice of pizza, a serving of ice cream?

That's a good idea !I was being super restrictive and then going over board . I will try to incorporate small amounts instead :-)
  • martinasloyan379
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Easier said than done
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Easier said than done

What's the point of saying this? Excuses are the reason that many people dont lose weight. It isnt that they cant, it is that they dont really want to.
  • martinasloyan379
    Options

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Easier said than done

What's the point of saying this? Excuses are the reason that many people dont lose weight. It isnt that they cant, it is that they dont really want to.

I do want to but I feel like I can't
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Easier said than done

No one is going to motivate you if you do not want to change. If you see it as a diet, where you will restrict everything for X days, then expect to go back to whatever you have been doing, it is pointless. Either you see a reason to change how you eat (and this means also figuring out how to fit treats in there) or you do not.
  • martinasloyan379
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Yeah. Stop eating it...

Easier said than done

No one is going to motivate you if you do not want to change. If you see it as a diet, where you will restrict everything for X days, then expect to go back to whatever you have been doing, it is pointless. Either you see a reason to change how you eat (and this means also figuring out how to fit treats in there) or you do not.

Yes I do want to . That's a good way of looking at it .
  • fancyskunk
    fancyskunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Whether or not it's possible is not in question. It is not only possible but also very achievable. The only thing in the way is you. You can't just say you want it; you have to be willing to put in the effort and make sacrifices. If you want to lose weight but don't want to change your habits, then, quite simply, you don't want to lose weight.
    Today I was over it by nearly 2000 calories.

That just shouts out loud that you aren't trying. While it is possible that you set yourself a goal that is too restrictive, you shouldn't be that far over even an incredibly unrealistic goal. You need to force some self-discipline into the situation.
    • Take your calorie goals seriously, and try to take pride in building up a streak of meeting them.
    • Eliminate un-portioned eating. Don't give yourself access to a bag of snacks to idly eat. Portion out your serving, and stick to it.
    • Drink water - high sodium diets leave you thirsty and it is very easy for that thirsty feeling to come across as hunger. Water fills you up, and proper hydration is actually integral to losing your initial water weight.
    • Channel the emotional discomfort you were using as an excuse to eat into other activities. It doesn't even have to be exercise; just a simple hobby to keep yourself occupied.
  • martinasloyan379
    Options
    fancyskunk wrote: »

Whether or not it's possible is not in question. It is not only possible but also very achievable. The only thing in the way is you. You can't just say you want it; you have to be willing to put in the effort and make sacrifices. If you want to lose weight but don't want to change your habits, then, quite simply, you don't want to lose weight.
    Today I was over it by nearly 2000 calories.

That just shouts out loud that you aren't trying. While it is possible that you set yourself a goal that is too restrictive, you shouldn't be that far over even an incredibly unrealistic goal. You need to force some self-discipline into the situation.
    • Take your calorie goals seriously, and try to take pride in building up a streak of meeting them.
    • Eliminate un-portioned eating. Don't give yourself access to a bag of snacks to idly eat. Portion out your serving, and stick to it.
    • Drink water - high sodium diets leave you thirsty and it is very easy for that thirsty feeling to come across as hunger. Water fills you up, and proper hydration is actually integral to losing your initial water weight.
    • Channel the emotional discomfort you were using as an excuse to eat into other activities. It doesn't even have to be exercise; just a simple hobby to keep yourself occupied.

Thank you so much . I do need to try a lot harder !! Thanks for your tips
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's mind over matter. Certain foods you can just tell yourself "I don't eat that anymore" and move on, others you need to make provision for within your calories if they are things you'd crave and binge on otherwise, but generally you have a habit you need to break. Have better choices on hand and you'll be less tempted to reach for something quick.
  • martinasloyan379
    Options
    I'd say it's mind over matter. Certain foods you can just tell yourself "I don't eat that anymore" and move on, others you need to make provision for within your calories if they are things you'd crave and binge on otherwise, but generally you have a habit you need to break. Have better choices on hand and you'll be less tempted to reach for something quick.

Thank you so much!