Can't stop eating junk food

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Firstly you can stop eating junk food if you really wanted to, your dilemma is that you don't really want to. I get what you're going through here, you really should just stop buying it if it's your binge eating trigger, but for some reason not buying these things is a bit of a challenge as well. But you're either going to have to do as suggested and fit it into your calories (the best option in my opinion, moderation, not restriction) or not buy it at all and avoid all temptation at home. If you don't have the motivation to remain in a deficit, then you won't remain in a deficit because nobody else will be able to do it for you. I'd recommend buying these types of food in single serving packets, one at a time. So you've always got something you really want available, but only one. Fit something in everyday. But whatever you do, stop using words like 'can't' because you're just further telling yourself you're going to fail.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Just stop buying it and never go grocery shopping when you're hungry. Every time you want sweets, have a piece of fresh fruit.
  • martinasloyan379
    martinasloyan379 Posts: 23 Member
    Just stop buying it and never go grocery shopping when you're hungry. Every time you want sweets, have a piece of fresh fruit.

Good idea ! I usually steer away from it when doing a weekly shop but I can get so fed up I'll just drive solely to the shop to get junk food. Fresh fruits a good idea though thanks
  • martinasloyan379
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Firstly you can stop eating junk food if you really wanted to, your dilemma is that you don't really want to. I get what you're going through here, you really should just stop buying it if it's your binge eating trigger, but for some reason not buying these things is a bit of a challenge as well. But you're either going to have to do as suggested and fit it into your calories (the best option in my opinion, moderation, not restriction) or not buy it at all and avoid all temptation at home. If you don't have the motivation to remain in a deficit, then you won't remain in a deficit because nobody else will be able to do it for you. I'd recommend buying these types of food in single serving packets, one at a time. So you've always got something you really want available, but only one. Fit something in everyday. But whatever you do, stop using words like 'can't' because you're just further telling yourself you're going to fail.

Thanks so much . That is my biggest problem I think I can't do it . Thanks for your advice . I feel like I can now
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    http://jamesclear.com/junk-food-science

Is a pretty good article on why we go after junk food and binge eat it also and it might help with the emotional eating you talked about.

Great article! You won't find much support for it here.....

Why not?

Lot of people on here don't believe in the term junk foods or "bad" foods.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Honestly I eat something sweet almost everyday, whether it's some gummy bears or some hard candy, a piece of chocolate or a piece of cake. If I tell myself No, I can't have it then I want it. Why? because we all want what we can't have. So just fit it in. Buy smaller servings. Have some, drink some water and walk away for at least 15 minutes. Most of the time your cravings will subside by then.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm good for two weeks at most eating healthy and then I give up . I eat so much sweet stuff and junk food and I'm back to square one again. Any suggestions for me ?

A lot of people have similar struggles when they try to take too restrictive of an approach with their diet, they end up going overboard when they can't take it anymore. Many people (myself included) have better success when they eat the foods they enjoy in moderation as part of a primarily nutrient dense diet. Rather than cutting out all sweets and other foods that you crave, have you tried working them into your diet in small amounts? A piece of dark chocolate, a slice of pizza, a serving of ice cream?

This 100% my first time around I cut out most of the foods I love, lost 40 pounds then gained it all back. Now if it fits, I eat it.

Just like later today I am having a rice krispy treat or some cadbury eggs (thanks to my MFP friends :D ). And I can't effffing wait lol
  • martinasloyan379
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Honestly I eat something sweet almost everyday, whether it's some gummy bears or some hard candy, a piece of chocolate or a piece of cake. If I tell myself No, I can't have it then I want it. Why? because we all want what we can't have. So just fit it in. Buy smaller servings. Have some, drink some water and walk away for at least 15 minutes. Most of the time your cravings will subside by then.

Thanks so much for your positivity :-) I feel inspired :-)
  • martinasloyan379
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm good for two weeks at most eating healthy and then I give up . I eat so much sweet stuff and junk food and I'm back to square one again. Any suggestions for me ?

A lot of people have similar struggles when they try to take too restrictive of an approach with their diet, they end up going overboard when they can't take it anymore. Many people (myself included) have better success when they eat the foods they enjoy in moderation as part of a primarily nutrient dense diet. Rather than cutting out all sweets and other foods that you crave, have you tried working them into your diet in small amounts? A piece of dark chocolate, a slice of pizza, a serving of ice cream?

This 100% my first time around I cut out most of the foods I love, lost 40 pounds then gained it all back. Now if it fits, I eat it.

Just like later today I am having a rice krispy treat or some cadbury eggs (thanks to my MFP friends :D ). And I can't effffing wait lol

Thanks so much ! I look forward to incorporating my treats now :-)
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Eat so much junk food at one time that it makes you feel like you're going to puke. Then keep eating. That's the only way I could stop eating it. I used to love reese cups until I ate a whole BJ's size bag at once and threw up. Now I can only stand to eat one once in a blue moon. I feel your pain!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Are you being super restrictive with your calories or limiting food groups? Sometimes it's easier to adhere to a diet when we can fit in treats here or there. For example-I am in a slightly aggressive deficit at the moment, but I also plan for a higher calorie day over the weekend that brings me up to a more moderate deficit for the entire week. I plan it out and look forward to it, so I can stick to my goal during the week. In a moderate or small deficit I find ways to make my favorite snacks work:chocolate, popcorn, etc.

This^

I know that weekends are the hardest (for me). So I leave myself some "additional" room. Some people have cheat day, or a cheat meal, whatever.

Find a balance between healthy and not so much.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    http://jamesclear.com/junk-food-science

Is a pretty good article on why we go after junk food and binge eat it also and it might help with the emotional eating you talked about.

Great article! You won't find much support for it here.....

Why not?

Suggestions that the tendency to overeat certain kinds of food is, at least in part, and attribute of the food tends to be attacked by most here. The argument, in so far as I understand it, is that it is ONLY the self control of the individual that is an issue. I tried to talk about the sophisticated research techniques Frito Lay uses to make its food more crave-able. My source for this was documents from the company itself, as well as the book referenced in the article. I was told this was "silly"-not sure why.

I didn't bring it up to demonize the company. I just think it helps us to understand what we're up against when we make food decisions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I don't have much advice except to try and make your meals as tasty as possible. I know that I'm much less likely to go for the junk food if my meals are very satisfying.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't have much advice except to try and make your meals as tasty as possible. I know that I'm much less likely to go for the junk food if my meals are very satisfying.

My suggestion goes along with what @Francl27 said. One thing that really helped me conquer my junk food urges is to make sure that I have at least one really delicious thing at each meal that I look forward to eating. For example, I have a Chobani Flip Greek yogurt every day with my lunch. It feels indulgent, and it makes me happy. The item at dinner varies, but there is always something planned that I anticipate all day.
  • martinasloyan379
    rnelson88 wrote: »
    Eat so much junk food at one time that it makes you feel like you're going to puke. Then keep eating. That's the only way I could stop eating it. I used to love reese cups until I ate a whole BJ's size bag at once and threw up. Now I can only stand to eat one once in a blue moon. I feel your pain!

Haha I might try that
  • martinasloyan379
    TeaBea wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Are you being super restrictive with your calories or limiting food groups? Sometimes it's easier to adhere to a diet when we can fit in treats here or there. For example-I am in a slightly aggressive deficit at the moment, but I also plan for a higher calorie day over the weekend that brings me up to a more moderate deficit for the entire week. I plan it out and look forward to it, so I can stick to my goal during the week. In a moderate or small deficit I find ways to make my favorite snacks work:chocolate, popcorn, etc.

This^

I know that weekends are the hardest (for me). So I leave myself some "additional" room. Some people have cheat day, or a cheat meal, whatever.

Find a balance between healthy and not so much.

Thanks so much :-)
  • martinasloyan379

Thank you :-)
  • martinasloyan379
    yayamom3 wrote: »

My suggestion goes along with what @Francl27 said. One thing that really helped me conquer my junk food urges is to make sure that I have at least one really delicious thing at each meal that I look forward to eating. For example, I have a Chobani Flip Greek yogurt every day with my lunch. It feels indulgent, and it makes me happy. The item at dinner varies, but there is always something planned that I anticipate all day.

I must incorporate something :-) thank you
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Try to limit it to once a week. Or try to substitute it for something that is sweet but have fewer calories, like a piece of fruit or protein bar. You can do it, it is mind over matter.
  • martinasloyan379
    epeart11 wrote: »
    Try to limit it to once a week. Or try to substitute it for something that is sweet but have fewer calories, like a piece of fruit or protein bar. You can do it, it is mind over matter.

Had a protein bar tonight thanks for your help