Will loosing bread...!

Options

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I tend to go easy on the bread because it's totally a trigger food for me. I buy pre-sliced boring bread and freeze it because if I buy GOOD fresh bread, I'll eat a loaf in one day. But that's the CICO thing: if I were able to control myself and not eat a whole lot in one go, it would be fine.
  • missjessau
    missjessau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yup, I tell you one slice of fresh baked bread never ends up being one slice....or without butter. Like potatoes, they seem to attract sour cream and cheese. Not sure how it got there. I will stick to meat and salad or steamed veggies thanks! (it also allows room for the super mega dark chocolate, which helps the soul and is an antioxidant)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well, a low-carb group is going to tell you to cut carbs, that's sort of what they do.

As to "fall off easily" - that depends on the person. If you eat more protein, you will tend to be less hungry. Also, going low-carb will tend to decrease your glycogen stores, which means your body sheds some excess water weight as well. In terms of actual fat loss, if cutting out bread helps you comply with your diet and makes it easier to sustain your deficit, it will help, but it's the deficit that actually matters. You can eat what you like, as long as you have a good calorie deficit and as long as you're not setting yourself up for malnutrition.

^^This.

But also for me personally this..
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I tend to go easy on the bread because it's totally a trigger food for me. I buy pre-sliced boring bread and freeze it because if I buy GOOD fresh bread, I'll eat a loaf in one day. But that's the CICO thing: if I were able to control myself and not eat a whole lot in one go, it would be fine.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bread is a staple for me. Had a hot cross bun for breakfast this morning, I have started to make my own bread too - yes higher calorie but more filling I have found.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    yeah personally dropping "white" foods helps me not because they are bad but because I cannot settle for measly portions on a 1200 calorie diet.

I need a HUGE BOWL OF PASTA!!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, sugar, carbs, chocolate, ice cream, pizza, fat, whatever. Lost 155 pounds no problem. I even drink "evil" diet soda. As for doing low carb, bread would be pretty high carbs, it just depends how many carbs you are wanting to eat.
  • alexandriareene
    alexandriareene Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You guys are so nice that group made me feel like an idiot because I et bread I only have it'd or lunch but I can scale back on it I felt sad those low carb people were egging me on like that telling me mfp is not the way to go when dieting
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I eat bread, sugar, carbs, chocolate, ice cream, pizza, fat, whatever. Lost 155 pounds no problem. I even drink "evil" diet soda. As for doing low carb, bread would be pretty high carbs, it just depends how many carbs you are wanting to eat.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, eating "low carb" is a waste of time unless you just enjoy eating this way in general.

Low carb ONLY allows a fast initial weight loss because you lose water weight when your glycogen stores are depleted. When you start eating higher carbs you will gain all of this water weight back.

As stated unless you just enjoy eating this way, forever, i don't think it's helpful. If it involves you cutting out some of your favorite foods like bread, it doesn't sound like it's very sustainable, does it?

Calories in < Calories out, PERIOD. Eat in whatever manner you can maintain long term (while keeping the idea of general health/nutrition in mind).
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, eating "low carb" is a waste of time unless you just enjoy eating this way in general.

Low carb ONLY allows a fast initial weight loss because you lose water weight when your glycogen stores are depleted. When you start eating higher carbs you will gain all of this water weight back.

As stated unless you just enjoy eating this way, forever, i don't think it's helpful. If it involves you cutting out some of your favorite foods like bread, it doesn't sound like it's very sustainable, does it?

Calories in < Calories out, PERIOD. Eat in whatever manner you can maintain long term (while keeping the idea of general health/nutrition in mind).

The first three stanzas written above aren't exactly true. If you go so low in carbs that you enter a ketogenic state your body will convert fat to ketones and burn those rather than blood sugar (because that will be gone). It takes more energy to convert fat to ketones than to burn sugar directly, and your body produces more ketones than it needs. IE, some unused ketones will go out in urine. You will burn fat (and not just lose water weight), and it's not like some gypsy curse where if you burn 30 and have a slice of bread you'll gain it all back overnight...

However, simply "cutting bread" won't be anywhere close enough to enter a ketogenic state. You'll need to hold at less than 25 grams of carbs per day for between 3 & 4 days (2 if you're wild on the cardio), and what carbs you do get will be from salad, cruciferous vegetables, etc. IE. No more sugar, no more pasta, most fruit is out, no more starchy vegetables (potatoes, carrots, corn, etc...) And even after you're in it, you'll need to stay between 30 and 50 grams per day depending on your size.

Quite literally, that is the Atkins diet. It works, and it works realtively quickly if you stick to it (I lost 61 lbs in six months on it and kept it off after coming out for the last two years) but it isn't a whole lot of fun. However, I most certainly did not put back on 61 lbs of water weight when I quit ketosis. I put on two and simply continued with calorie counting and exercise. If you elect to try it, don't try ketosis without talking to your doctor & reading up on how to do it properly.

Her last statement is true. Even in ketosis, it all boils down to a net loss in calories. IE. You need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight, and that's just physics. The biggest advantage of ketosis for me was appetite suppression which made that quite easy.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Dumping bread is the dumbest thing Ive heard. Fat loss is just your body burning more energy than you consume. It doesn't matter if you eat bread ALL day if you are eating less than you burn you will drop weight. Its science. Your body doesn't care if you eat your carbs in strawberries or bread , as long as its less than what your body is burning, you'll lose fat.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

The first three stanzas written above aren't exactly true. If you go so low in carbs that you enter a ketogenic state your body will convert fat to ketones and burn those rather than blood sugar (because that will be gone). It takes more energy to convert fat to ketones than to burn sugar directly, and your body produces more ketones than it needs. IE, some unused ketones will go out in urine. You will burn fat (and not just lose water weight), and it's not like some gypsy curse where if you burn 30 and have a slice of bread you'll gain it all back overnight...

However, simply "cutting bread" won't be anywhere close enough to enter a ketogenic state. You'll need to hold at less than 25 grams of carbs per day for between 3 & 4 days (2 if you're wild on the cardio), and what carbs you do get will be from salad, cruciferous vegetables, etc. IE. No more sugar, no more pasta, most fruit is out, no more starchy vegetables (potatoes, carrots, corn, etc...) And even after you're in it, you'll need to stay between 30 and 50 grams per day depending on your size.

Quite literally, that is the Atkins diet. It works, and it works realtively quickly if you stick to it (I lost 61 lbs in six months on it and kept it off after coming out for the last two years) but it isn't a whole lot of fun. However, I most certainly did not put back on 61 lbs of water weight when I quit ketosis. I put on two and simply continued with calorie counting and exercise. If you elect to try it, don't try ketosis without talking to your doctor & reading up on how to do it properly.

Her last statement is true. Even in ketosis, it all boils down to a net loss in calories. IE. You need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight, and that's just physics. The biggest advantage of ketosis for me was appetite suppression which made that quite easy.

:expressionless:

So what is it?

Please tell me how my stance that people who go low carb experience faster weight loss initially due to a loss in water weight (not fat loss, which will be regained when consuming carbs again) is wrong.

Please tell me how eating in this manner is more beneficial to people who want to sustain weight loss vs. just eating a calorie deficit with the foods they actually enjoy.

I'm sorry, but it's anecdotal. Eating in that manner worked well for you because you had appetite suppression and could sustain it. There's nothing magical as you said that makes low carb more beneficial vs. a traditional calorie deficit. And for some it is not sustainable because it requires cutting out some of their most favorite foods.

I didn't say that you lose NO fat when you cut calories and go low carb. I said the initial 5~ pound which you first experience when going low carb are generally water.

Even if as you said you lost 60 pounds, when you start eating carbs again and you're no longer very low carb or in ketosis you WILL gain some of that (5~ ish pounds) you initially lost in water weight.

My point was that if eating in this manner is sustainable for her and she ENJOYS it, then go for it. If she doesn't and can't stick to it, no worries, it's unnecessary and all that's required is a calorie deficit.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I eat bread all the time. And pasta. And all kinds of carby goodness. I can see how if I cut some of the carbs out of my diet that it might be easier to maintain a deficit, but what fun is that? I don't have a medical reason to go low carb, and I make what I want fit into my calorie goals. I can tell you I am a lot happier about my diet than my boss who does low carb and is constantly complaining about it - and I've lost more weight than her too. ;)

Do what you need to do to maintain a deficit. If it is easier for you to maintain a deficit doing low carb, go for it. Just make sure that whatever you are doing, you can maintain it as part of your lifestyle, even after you've met your weight loss goal and go into maintenance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I cut bread as an easy way to cut calories initially, because I don't care about bread. Now I'm trying out a higher carb diet (lower meat) and so eating more whole grains in general again. I don't find that either is preferable, it really depends on you and what makes sense for you to cut. There's nothing inherently superior about LC diets unless you have a medical reason to try it (I never did, but cut carbs for a while just because I tend to like fat and protein more than starches).
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I've drastically cut back on bread because it's easy for me to add lots of unneeded calories with it.

Me too! I still eat it and would not want to live without it! :blush: HOWEVER, I have to weigh it and log it. IF bread had zero calories, I kid you not, I could eat nearly a pound a day and be happy as a clam. But, it doesn't -- the breads I like have a lot of calories, so I watch my portions and log the calories.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

You mean the diet that over the years time and time again people have found unsustainable?

I do not know anyone who tried and lost on Atkins that kept the weight off and returned to a more sustainable diet, because it worked for you doesn't necessarily mean its one size fits all.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where you HAVE to cut gluten (and maybe 1% of the human population does), cutting bread is not going to do anything except help you control your calories in. And unless you have a medical condition where you have to watch your blood sugar, cutting carbs isn't necessary either.

Not saying you have to eat carbs. If you like being low-carb, more power to you. But it's not a magic recipe for losing weight. Eating whole grain bread is better for you nutrition-wise, and watching your bread intake will help you keep calories under control, but if you like bread, just find out how to work it into your day. I did, and while I do eat a LOT of carbs, I still lost weight just fine.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

:expressionless:

So what is it?

Please tell me how my stance that people who go low carb experience faster weight loss initially due to a loss in water weight (not fat loss, which will be regained when consuming carbs again) is wrong.

Please tell me how eating in this manner is more beneficial to people who want to sustain weight loss vs. just eating a calorie deficit with the foods they actually enjoy.

I'm sorry, but it's anecdotal. Eating in that manner worked well for you because you had appetite suppression and could sustain it. There's nothing magical as you said that makes low carb more beneficial vs. a traditional calorie deficit. And for some it is not sustainable because it requires cutting out some of their most favorite foods.

I didn't say that you lose NO fat when you cut calories and go low carb. I said the initial 5~ pound which you first experience when going low carb are generally water.

Even if as you said you lost 60 pounds, when you start eating carbs again and you're no longer very low carb or in ketosis you WILL gain some of that (5~ ish pounds) you initially lost in water weight.

My point was that if eating in this manner is sustainable for her and she ENJOYS it, then go for it. If she doesn't and can't stick to it, no worries, it's unnecessary and all that's required is a calorie deficit.

For the win!!

I was looking forward to seeing your reply, couldn't agree more. Yes on this type of diet you will loose weight, but you don't need to be a mathematician to work out you will also loose weight calories in v calories out.

If you are such a fan of bread OP, you wont be planning to never eat again so why not find a sustainable way now to keep bread in your diet, if you can manage it loosing weight it will be easier to maintain and ultimately you wont have a few pounds water weight return.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread much but only because the calories are too high imho for the nutrition I get in return. I just prefer to spend my calories on other items.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs (like bread) makes me hungry. Eating protein & fats makes me full.

So I cut out bread when I want to lose weight, and add it in when I want to gain.

YMMV.