Am I getting bad advice from my gym?

Options

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    You don't have to train high weight low rep either. How low is your rep count?
    I prefer staying between 12-16 myself, depending on what part of the body I am working.

He insists that 25 reps is what needs to be done.
    When I'm at home I use more than double the weight he has listed and do around 12 reps and that seems to make me feel like I've actually done something. But the thing I worry about at home is whether my form is okay.

The fact that you don't seem to like him or trust his advice is enough for you to drop him like a hot brick. I'd get another trainer to advise me on form only.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    saraAmcd wrote: »
    If your grocery bags, cooking pot, purse, toddler are heavier than the weights you're lifting, then I think there's a problem.

I love this!

Yes my toddler is 30lbs. I can throw him in the air and wave him around. He has me lifting 10lbs! I feel like I'm stood there playing with a feather!
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :)
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    I prefer staying between 12-16 myself, depending on what part of the body I am working.

When I'm at home I use more than double the weight he has listed and do around 12 reps and that seems to make me feel like I've actually done something. But the thing I worry about at home is whether my form is okay.

The fact that you don't seem to like him or trust his advice is enough for you to drop him like a hot brick. I'd get another trainer to advise me on form only.

I think I'm going to ask his wife when she's next there. I'm tied in for a year contract so I have to make the best of it! I did speak to another trainer about form but he gave me a 30 second walk through, without weights, just showing me arm movements then went back to chatting up something on tinder. He's known for not acknowledging anyone over 130lbs.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Yup.

If the gym is convenient, well equipped and within your price range there is no reason to leave it. Just find another trainer who aligns with your goals and preferences.

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Find another trainer. You need to start lifting, and you need someone to help you with proper form, to keep it interesting, and to push your limits without injuring yourself. The days of 5 lb weights and lots of reps are long gone.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    there's usually a legal escape clause to those contracts.
  • Beehappybaby
    Beehappybaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read on here and online in general suggests that women should heavy lift.
    The advice for woman as overweight as myself seem to be to lift heavy from the start, don't wait until you're close goal weight as it will help to prevent muscle loss through deficit eating and help with skin sagging.

Am I right so far?

So I had a discussion with the guy who owns my gym (his wife is a champion body builder). He told me he absolutely won't allow me to do high weight low reps as women should only do low weight high rep.
    To me it seems a bit counter productive based on what I've read on here. And I'm not sure his wife would agree with his thinking on women lifting.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts.

I have had the exact same thing as you! everyone seems to think and say we should be doing Cardio and if us girls must do weights we should do low weights/high reps! :/ I think they are all taught from the same book!

If you speak to anyone that lifts though they say a lot heavier weights and less reps! like 6-8!! unless you are eating a serious excess of calories you will not bulk!
  • msf74
    Options

I think I'm going to ask his wife when she's next there.

Out of curiosity how will you proceed if she gives you the same advice. The presumption here is she probably disagrees with her husband's advice but that is by no means a given...

• CatherineElizabeth13
    edited March 2016
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Out of curiosity how will you proceed if she gives you the same advice. The presumption here is she probably disagrees with her husband's advice but that is by no means a given...

If she agrees with him then I will ask her to talk to me about her thought process and ask why the general consensus is that low weights are less effective. I have seen her training other women using high weights low reps, so I assume she disagrees with her husband. If not, hopefully I will gain some insight into how her clients have such fantastic results :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Are you tied into a year of training or just a year of gym membership? If it's just mentioned before, you don't need a trainer. There are plenty of form videos and how tos online. Plus, the stronglifts app has videos in it even if you don't ruin that program.

There's also s group here (eat, train, progress) that had a form check thread, so you can video yourself, post, and get feedback on your form.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Of course, you could get her or her husband to show you good form on the basic moves using light weights and then slap on a load of extra plates when they aren't looking ;)
  • msf74
    Options

If she agrees then I will ask her to talk to me about her thought process and ask why the general consensus is that low weights are less effective. I have seen her training other women using high weights low reps, so I assume she disagrees with her husband. If not, hopefully I will gain some I sight into how her clients have such fantastic results :)

Excellent approach ;)

I think when you take the time to explore and educate yourself then you give yourself the gift of knowledge. No one can take that from you.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    ... Allow? Because of your sex. I can understand not being "allowed" to use the men's locker room, or not being "allowed" to use the rock wall without supervision or clearance like everybody else. But lifting heavy? What makes him think he can control that?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If your gym won't let you do standard gym stuff, find a new gym.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Agreed.

Are you tied into a year of training or just a year of gym membership? If it's just mentioned before, you don't need a trainer. There are plenty of form videos and how tos online. Plus, the stronglifts app has videos in it even if you don't ruin that program.

There's also s group here (eat, train, progress) that had a form check thread, so you can video yourself, post, and get feedback on your form.

It's just the membership, not a training contract. I'm going to check out some you be tube vids on form. If nothing else, it will make me feel more comfortable lifting at home.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yup.

If the gym is convenient, well equipped and within your price range there is no reason to leave it. Just find another trainer who aligns with your goals and preferences.

Yup.

I agree that there is no reason to leave if the equipment is what she needs, but my guess would be the other trainers at the gym have the same/similar mindset.

I agree with the posters saying to ditch the trainer and follow the books/YouTube. As a newbie, you'll make gains no matter what so long as you stick to it. ANY beginners lifting program will work. I never used a trainer, just books and the web (I started with Body fo Life). I now lift with a weightlifting group and have a coach, but I'm working on technique for the snatch and clean & jerk. Unless you're working on technique, no need for a trainer other than to occasionally see if your form is right.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    mjrkearney wrote: »
    ... Allow? Because of your sex. I can understand not being "allowed" to use the men's locker room, or not being "allowed" to use the rock wall without supervision or clearance like everybody else. But lifting heavy? What makes him think he can control that?

This is a very good point. Your contract could probably easily be ripped up on the basis of sexual discrimination. Unless it clearly states on what you signed that "women are only allowed to use the little weights" he has no grounds to suddenly declare what you can or can't used based on his personal view.

Look up SL5x5. Start light because you have to and work you way up on the weights. Go slow, get your form down first and progress as the plan says.

Ignore the ignorant fool!
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Having thought about it since posting. I think the reason he refuses to allow women to heavy lift is because they have "kindly" created a WOMEN'S ONLY weight section full of barbie bells and even a low weight barbell
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I think I'm going to ask his wife when she's next there. I'm tied in for a year contract so I have to make the best of it! I did speak to another trainer about form but he gave me a 30 second walk through, without weights, just showing me arm movements then went back to chatting up something on tinder. He's known for not acknowledging anyone over 130lbs.

Don't. Why antagonize a situation? You knew what you wanted to do far before making this post so just do it and leave the dude to his outdated training. He's told you his point of view, you've told him yours. Rubbing his nose in it through his wife is poor form. This feels like a pointless, "Haha! I told you, you stupid head," but this whole story has an odd feeling to it...