Lose Weight First or Build Muscle?

Options
Opinions please...

I've been on my weight loss journey for a few weeks now. I've been counting calories, weighing my food, walking 2.5 miles pretty much daily, and working out with PiYo. I've seen good results in just a few weeks.

I was thinking about adding in some more interval/weight training. A few years ago, I completed the 30 Day Shred with awesome success. I lost inches, but not weight.

I'm heavier now than when I started 30DS last time. I guess my question is...should I focus on losing the fat/weight first or is it a good idea to try to add muscle in there at the same time?

I'm one of those people who puts TOO much focus on the number on the scale (and I'm fully aware). I'm thinking about having my husband hide it from me and only bringing it out on weigh in days. lol

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    drummondk wrote: »
    Opinions please...

I've been on my weight loss journey for a few weeks now. I've been counting calories, weighing my food, walking 2.5 miles pretty much daily, and working out with PiYo. I've seen good results in just a few weeks.

I was thinking about adding in some more interval/weight training. A few years ago, I completed the 30 Day Shred with awesome success. I lost inches, but not weight.

I'm heavier now than when I started 30DS last time. I guess my question is...should I focus on losing the fat/weight first or is it a good idea to try to add muscle in there at the same time?

I'm one of those people who puts TOO much focus on the number on the scale (and I'm fully aware). I'm thinking about having my husband hide it from me and only bringing it out on weigh in days. lol

Thanks for any advice!

Lose weight first nooo heavy lifting only cardio workouts maybe a few easy 15×3 any excercise you do do 3 sets 15 times rest every set you don't want your fat to become muscle
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Lose weight then add muscle.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Lose, then lift.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I'll plagiarize myself from http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35863012#Comment_35863012 See the other comments there.

You'd be better off preserving your lean muscle mass while losing weight than trying to add muscle back on later.
  • drummondk
    drummondk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks everyone!

Any suggestions on other programs to try? I like PiYo, but sometimes I want a change.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ginamcy wrote: »
    Opinions please...

Thanks for any advice!

Lose weight first nooo heavy lifting only cardio workouts maybe a few easy 15×3 any excercise you do do 3 sets 15 times rest every set you don't want your fat to become muscle

Fat doesn't become muscle. Lifting is good in a calorie deficit because it helps you retain muscle.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Do resistance work and eat adequate protein as you lose to preserve LBM.

It is much easier to preserve the muscle you have while losing than to have to rebuild once you have lost the weight.

A body weight or progressive lifting programme would be good to include.
    Here is a simple bodyweight workout you can do at home.

Cheers, h.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks everyone!

Any suggestions on other programs to try? I like PiYo, but sometimes I want a change.

I've just started spin classes and I'm loving them. It burns a ton of calories and it is more fun than I thought it would be.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do resistance work and eat adequate protein as you lose to preserve LBM.

It is much easier to preserve the muscle you have while losing than to have to rebuild once you have lost the weight.

A body weight or progressive lifting programme would be good to include.
    Here is a simple bodyweight workout you can do at home.

Cheers, h.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

This all bears repeating, but the bolded is exactly what I was planning on staying.
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi,You can do both at the same time. As a beginner you totally can. That's what I did. I find weight and strength training more effective than cardio. I went from 115 lbs to 104 lbs ( weighed in today)
    I am way more muscly than 5 months ago. Everywhere! I developed delts,triceps, forearms,hamstrings and my quads are almost pure muscles. I do kettlebells, lift weights and do barbell squats,deadlifts, pole fitness, push up and pull ups.
    My back fat disappeared.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You can still lift but don't expect add muscle or gain much strength. Think of it more as exercise. I would also direct more of my focus toward cardio. Nothing in my opinion burns calories faster than good old cardio.
  • nsa352
    Options
    Oh and now I can see the start of a 4 pack. The two side lines are visible just on top of my navel and there is the middle line coming down. 2 months ago those lines were higher. My belly is leaning out ,soon the lines will go through my whole belly.
  • thewildair
    thewildair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do both at the same time -- I think the term for it is body recomposition. However, visible results are a little slower/subtler that way. If seeing changes is in the mirror is important to maintaining your momentum and motivation, I recommend losing fat first, then trying to build muscle later. If you focus on losing fat first, you'll see yourself slimming down a lot more than if you put on muscle while you are losing fat. Also, after you get your bodyfat % down, and start focusing on building muscle, you will have a better visual representation of your muscle gains as well.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    You can still lift but don't expect add muscle or gain much strength. Think of it more as exercise. I would also direct more of my focus toward cardio. Nothing in my opinion burns calories faster than good old cardio.

Of course you can add strength and muscle if starting out. Personally, I had not been anywhere near a gym over the past decade and started in December. In the past 4 months, I have lost over 35lbs and have added strength and added muscle....all while at a significant caloric deficit. And yes, I do weights and cardio 5-6x a week.

Additionally, strength is far easier to increase as there is more that just size of the muscle that comes into play.

Out of interest:
    Leg Press (full ROM) has increased from 3x10x255 to 3x10x360 (but can do 2x8x400)
    Bench Press (Hammer Strength) has increased from 3x10x155 to 3x8x200
    Seated Cable Row 3x10x125 has increased to 3x12x160
    Arms started at 15.8". There has been fat loss, but last measurement was 16"
  • nsa352
    Options
    You have to be lean for the muscles to be seen. Otherwise you just look like you gained more weight.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You do not need to wait to lose weight before beginning with strength training.

Eat at a small deficit and hit a balance of strength and cardio. You will lose weight and get stronger/fitter.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    ginamcy wrote: »
    Opinions please...

Thanks for any advice!

Actually...lift and lift heavy if you want. You wont build muscle but you will gain strength and preserve existing muscle mass while losing fat. Lifting will help you drop inches and change your body more than you think.
  • drummondk
    drummondk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok, so after reading your responses I guess this is my next question.

I'm already doing PiYo, which is a lot of body weight. 30DS uses body weight and maybe 2-3 lb weights.

Y'all still think I should stick with the walking/cardio + PiYo and leave off the 30DS? I think I made 30DS sound more intense than it is.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the 30DS.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    thewildair wrote: »
    You can definitely do both at the same time -- I think the term for it is body recomposition.

That is, indeed, the term.

But recomp takes so long... I tried it for a long time, with little success. I think the drawbacks, for me, were all mental. It's really difficult to lose fat when you're recomping and the scale isn't moving. You can tell yourself the science and logic of it all day long, but when the scale doesn't move, it's just discouraging.

What I found, for myself, is that it was really easy for me to focus on lifting and building muscle and getting PR's, and really hard to focus on diet. So yeah, I put on muscle and got stronger, but my body fat didn't decline. Recomp is a difficult strategy, IMO, because it forces you to focus on too many things at once.

I like the simplicity of cut/bulk.

I'm on day 29 now of cutting. 29 days of strict adherence to diet. That's my focus. I still go to the gym and lift, but not to get PR's and not to focus on gaining muscle. The scale is moving in the right direction. The fat loss is the focus, and that's enough.

You should do whatever you're comfortable with and whatever gets results. For me, recomp is just not a viable strategy. Food is a difficult thing for me to deal with, personally, so I have to spend all my focus on my food and not worry about anything else. Food and walking... food and walking...