Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    These are some very good pointers. Thank you! I start with with the hypnotherapist on Monday night.
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Its hard but you can make it through. It is extra calories that you do not need when going on a weight loss journey.
  • bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Giving up alcohol is the best think I have ever done. Do it!!
  • janesremedy87
    janesremedy87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have quit alcohol for two months in the beginning of this year. Didn't really see a change besides Feeling better on Saturday Mornings ;)

I have added it back into the diet but make sure to work it in my calorie Goal and only drink on Weekends or on planned Events. Works fine :)

• paleviolet
    paleviolet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I regard wine as one of life's great pleasures, and to live without it is too sad. If you budget it in you can still lose weight. I lost a stone just moderating everything - little less wine (one glass a night, or skip and have two the next night!), but also eating everything, just less of it - carbs, chocolate, whatever. That worked for five years, but now I have gained it back in the last year - it's not mysterious - stressy times and I just had a bit more wine, a bit more cheese, a second helping, and voila. So now I'm starting again (and it's kind of reassuring to know i've done it before). But just to say, you can lose weight or maintain with wine - it's just a question of balance and portions.
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I heard, "wine makes you loose control so you start snacking"... I don't drink and I probably snack too much. I know that doesn't help. I'm trying to think what makes me snack too much. I mostly snack at work, so I'm probably bored or distracted, I have snacks near by, mostly nuts and dried fruit. I could remove the snacks... Ouch, that would be hard. I think changing my head is where the change needs to be made. I started using this site to estimate calories and exercise balance. I have an idea of my calorie and my exercise but I still have been hovering 10-15lbs above my ideal weight. Seems it's a battle that always needs to be fought for. BTW, Good luck! My wife use to drink general's under the table. She said she always did the stupidest stuff when drinking. So even though she would like to drink, she doesn't. She a 5'8", 129lbs, 58 year old, hottie.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing for a verrrrry long time. So, almost 2 weeks ago decided to stop drinking during the week. 2# down so far. It's amazing how much room is left in your day when you're not losing 200+ calories to wine. As everyone else said... its not just the alcohol calories but the snacking calories that follow. I definitely recommend it... even if you only cut it for the week days, you'll see a great difference, I'm sure.
  • gmcgarv71
    gmcgarv71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have recently concluded -- again -- that I need to not drink at all if I want to lose this last 10 pounds. I have cut back on drinking big time, but even one glass of something a day, and even abstaining 3-4 days a week, prevents weight loss for me. Maybe everyone is different, but for me I believe it works like this: If I'm eating a very limited amount of calories, my body NEEDS all of those calories as NUTRITION. And alcohol is empty calories. So even if I stay within my limit, I'm not getting all the nutrients and fuel I need and my body revolts.

In addition to the eating more while drinking factor (which is a pretty common occurrence for drinkers), I do think that the chemistry of alcohol affects how one's body burns fat and metabolizes food that you eat.

I haven't had alcohol for the past 3 days and I reached a new weight low today, even after having pizza and ice cream yesterday! So I truly know this, but boy is it hard for me to accept.

I do plan on trying to drink maybe once or twice a week in extreme moderation and see if that still impedes. If it does, I will cut back to once a week and if I'm still feeling like weight loss is slow, I will cut it out altogether. I do plan on drinking very moderately when I'm maintaining.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm starting with my hypnotherapist tomorrow - with my goal of learning to cut back on wine. It's been my crutch through difficult times. I don't need it now - life is good - but the habit is still there. I am hoping that cutting out (or cutting down) wine will help me with my weight loss.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Before last weekend I hadn't had a drink for a month for various reasons, when previously I was drinking a couple of bottles of wine a week (factored into my calorie goal). It hasn't had much effect in of itself, but I've found that I'm less likely to crave bad choices the morning after!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do my best to cut it out entirely for a month or two at a time. It does effect my energy level and it's easier for me to lose weight and still hit my macro and micro needs without it. I do enjoy a good drink, and I find it somewhat difficult professionally. It's not a magic bullet though.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Definitely hard to factor in those calories- I do sometimes, but I really, really have to budget calories through the day. It also loses its enjoyment when I have to white knuckle my way through not having a lot of snacks, or -more honestly- an entire wheel of brie : ).
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm starting with my hypnotherapist tomorrow - with my goal of learning to cut back on wine. It's been my crutch through difficult times. I don't need it now - life is good - but the habit is still there. I am hoping that cutting out (or cutting down) wine will help me with my weight loss.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.

I'm curious to hear about your hypnotherapy experience. I realize you've only just started, CalmandPeaceful, but would you be willing to tell us what you think?

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I actually don't snack when I drink (at least not any more than normal), but for me the beer/wine/cider was just empty calories and I don't miss it at all. I'd rather 'spend' my calories on food :)
  • Lkush89
    Lkush89 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My moms nutritionist said that alcohol majorly affects your metabolism...so yes you may be staying within your calories, but you may be burning them slower bc you're drinking
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Lkush89 her nutritionist seems correct per this article.

bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson194.htm
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!