How to get a really big butt??

Options

Replies

• MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm almost scared to do squats. My butt is big enough already... granted right now it's more fat then muscle, but I had a big one even before I gained weight. Once I start squats I'm afraid Ill never fit in a pair of jeans properly again lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Squats help, yes... but that's the oversimplified MFP regurgitated version of an answer.

In truth, there are far more effective exercises for your glutes, though squats should probably be part of the routine. Look up Brett Contreras and read a few of his articles/workouts.

Lastly, diet and genetics will play a large role, too... but you seem to be more focused on the workout piece of the equation, so yea... Brett Contreras.

Finally.

Squats help but they are primarily a quad exercise

Ask 5 experts what muscle is dominate in the squat and you'll get 7 answers.
    Glutes and hams get you out of the hole.
    They also help to keep the "stuff" in till you're ready to get rid of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So high fiber diet for glutes?
    If there isn't easy access to a bathroom...................yes. ;) Squeeze and contract those glutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm almost scared to do squats. My butt is big enough already... granted right now it's more fat then muscle, but I had a big one even before I gained weight. Once I start squats I'm afraid Ill never fit in a pair of jeans properly again lol.

Nope. If you're in a deficit and losing fat, while squatting, you will only be getting smaller and more compact. Your butt will just look better once you get toward goal because you're working to save muscle.
  • K_deng
    K_deng Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Neither your butt nor your boobs will get bigger with exercise. They are both primarily composed of fat and how big they are is genetic. Sorry but if they don't run in your family you just can't make em bigger.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    K_deng wrote: »
    Neither your butt nor your boobs will get bigger with exercise. They are both primarily composed of fat and how big they are is genetic. Sorry but if they don't run in your family you just can't make em bigger.

Seems legit
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    K_deng wrote: »

Seems legit

*Nods* Unarguable scientific fact.
  • HealthyJho
    HealthyJho Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I concur with @jacksonpt Bret Contreras has great advice for the booty
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend side bends or sit ups.

:D
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    1. Have good genetics
    2. Improve what you have with complex leg exercises. (Squats, dead lifts, good mornings, donkey kicks)
    3. Cheese fries

Haha no doubt. My butt was HUGE when I didn't think twice about eating plates of cheese fries.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Now I want cheese fries.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to have a big butt all of a sudden
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ^
    That never gets old.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to have a big butt all of a sudden

It's en vogue now. But I've had big butt before it was in style, I have one now that it's all the rage, and I'll have one when it goes out of style.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Work the legs too!! LoL a big butt and tiny legs ends up looking like you are wearing an oversized diaper, haha. Ever seen the women who have fat injections in their butts??
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Squats help, yes... but that's the oversimplified MFP regurgitated version of an answer.

In truth, there are far more effective exercises for your glutes, though squats should probably be part of the routine. Look up Brett Contreras and read a few of his articles/workouts.

Lastly, diet and genetics will play a large role, too... but you seem to be more focused on the workout piece of the equation, so yea... Brett Contreras.

Finally.

Okay doing the math....
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Alex729 wrote: »
    I cannot recommend side bends or sit ups.

How 'bout red beans n rice?
    LOL, Sir Mix a Lot's in the house.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Finally.

Okay doing the math....
    I'm guessing jokes aren't your strong suit?

OP- Strong Curves is a lower body centric workout- by the aformentioned Bret Conreras.

Honestly- I find his whole thing a little creepy- like why are you the "the glute guy" it's weird.
    Almost fetish like- but he is definitely knowledgeable on the subject.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Nope. If you're in a deficit and losing fat, while squatting, you will only be getting smaller and more compact. Your butt will just look better once you get toward goal because you're working to save muscle.

Yes. I started lifting heavy almost a year ago, but my butt was always huge and fat. It got ever so slightly larger (while I was eating enough calories to put on 10 lbs) but mostly it just lifted and firmed up. Now that I'm calorie restricting, I'm losing fat and the butt looks/feels fabulous. I fit into all my old pants, no problem.

My workout buddy had the flattest butt known to women until she started lifting heavy. Legs day is once a week. We're talking squats, lunges, donkey kicks, and all those other great lower body exercises people have been citing. Now her booty is nice and round as she gained about 8 lbs in all the right places. It absolutely can be done.

I am LOVING all the Baby Got Back references.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    1. Have good genetics
    2. Improve what you have with complex leg exercises. (Squats, dead lifts, good mornings, donkey kicks)
    3. Cheese fries

Mostly 1 but version 2 can make a difference. Your butt is one of the largest muscles in your body. It's a muscle. You can make it bigger. 3 works better than anything but the rest of you won't look so good.

I'll take your cheese fries and raise you Ben & Jerry's.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1. Have good genetics
    3. Cheese fries

Mostly 1 but version 2 can make a difference. Your butt is one of the largest muscles in your body. It's a muscle. You can make it bigger. 3 works better than anything but the rest of you won't look so good.

I'll take your cheese fries and raise you Ben & Jerry's.

only if you sprinkle oreos on them.