i freakn did it!

Options
13»

Replies

• Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    so question - should my next goal (other than being able to do this again!) be to go faster, or go longer? i dont really have any other goals because i didnt think this would happen anytime soon.

First, congratulations! What a fantastic feeling!

I would mix it up. Depending on how I'm feeling, I'll either run a mile and try to maintain the same speed, so I can gauge how I'm feeling about that pace, or I'll bump it up and go for time. Or a couple of times a week now, I'll set my speed a little lower and shoot for a 5k. Getting that new record time is an amazing feeling, but going for longer is too, and I try to avoid burning myself out. From my own personal experience, if I shoot for too much and then fail to meet my goal, I get bummed out and the workout stops being a positive experience. Mixing it up seems to help with that, and by the time I'm back around to going for time or distance, I've recovered enough to be able to give it my all.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Trishkit wrote: »
    I would mix it up. Depending on how I'm feeling, I'll either run a mile and try to maintain the same speed, so I can gauge how I'm feeling about that pace, or I'll bump it up and go for time. Or a couple of times a week now, I'll set my speed a little lower and shoot for a 5k. Getting that new record time is an amazing feeling, but going for longer is too, and I try to avoid burning myself out. From my own personal experience, if I shoot for too much and then fail to meet my goal, I get bummed out and the workout stops being a positive experience. Mixing it up seems to help with that, and by the time I'm back around to going for time or distance, I've recovered enough to be able to give it my all.

Thanks! I tried jogging a little yesterday and my shins said no after half a mile, so i guess I'll be doing this very slowly :) i guess the next goal is just repeat the mile a few more times. then i'll worry about more/faster/10ks lol

Thanks everyone!!!!
  • Jay_Maddy
    Jay_Maddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • juststr8classe
    juststr8classe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's is awesome. Every step you take that you weren't able to take before is an accomplishment. Congrats!!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yay! That is definitely an accomplishment! Keep up the good work! I definitely can't run that long. My goals are always run for 1:30 minutes or 1 minute at a time lol! Maybe one day I will also be able to post this similar success story.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Keep adding a little at a time and you will start to crave running. You are doing great! Just think how you will feel finishing your first race. I was a "I can't run" person and after adding a little distance at a time, like you are, I can now run half marathons.
  • slickmickey
    Options
    Yay! That is definitely an accomplishment! Keep up the good work! I definitely can't run that long. My goals are always run for 1:30 minutes or 1 minute at a time lol! Maybe one day I will also be able to post this similar success story.

you totally will! at the beginning on the year my goal was 1 minute. after i could do that 3 times during a mile my goal was 1 song! i got stuck there for forever but it's totally doable!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congratulations!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Great! Now, do it again.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That is so fabulous! I've found that my difficulty to run is much more in my head than my body not being physically able to do it. I always have to tell myself "one more song," or "one more minute," or "one more lap" over and over and over again.
  • studimnot
    studimnot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome Work! That inspires me to try harder! Keep it up!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. Keep at it. You asked about distance or speed. You will naturally get faster over time. If you work on increasing your distance, you will be building an aerobic base which will help you run farther and faster. I have not done the C25K program myself, but it is highly recommended by others around here. It will give you a program of alternating running and walking intervals that will eventually build you up to being able to run a 5K! Congrats and good luck!!!
  • slickmickey
    Options
    Great! Now, do it again.

where's the like button on this thing?
  • countingdown
    countingdown Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Well done to you! <3 Awesome!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congrats!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Nice :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!