Issues with sugar

Options
I have a hugeeee problem with sugar, and quite frankly, I eat wayyy too much of it. I've tried to stop, but I always fail miserably. I try to eat less sugar, and I've tried to just cut it out cold turkey, but that only makes me want it more. I eat baked goods, candy, cereals, yogurts, and other foods with sugar in it (like General Tso's chicken), etc.

I know cutting down on refined carbs helps, but I'm trying to keep a moderate to high carb diet because a low carb diet won't work well with my antidepressant.

I would love to hear from people who have issues with sugar addiction/ or people who have issues with sugar in general. More specifically, I'd love to hear how you all got over it, or how you keep it at bay.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have found success by eating more protein than I used to. At least 20% of my calories.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Second the more protein. I also don't restrict myself. If I want some ice cream, I'll have some but an appropriate or smaller than portion. I rarely eat bread, unless it's deliciously fresh and I have the calories for it. I don't eat or keep around candy, cereal, yogurt or fried Chinese food. In general, it sounds like rather than focusing on SUGAR, maybe it would be better to focus on simply eating HEALTHIER. Throw out and don't buy the processed foods. It's much easier to not eat something when you don't have it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My issues with sugar are actually physical pain. If I eat too much I wake up feeling bruised and sore all over. So I have to make a conscious decision. If I go over a certain amount I WILL feel horrible. I have tricks for treats that I use to keep the sugar down and the volume high.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Throw things in the garbage. Just do it.
    I don't even buy sugary cereals, cupcakes.
    Buy greek yogurt.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat a moderate/high carb diet without resorting to refined carbs, you have to fill in those gaps with unrefined carbs. Make it easy to choose what you want in your diet by surrounding yourself with it.

When I started strength training, I'd always crave something sweet after meals. Once I started putting more complex carbs into my meals (veggies, potatoes, rice, yams, beans, sweet potatoes, etc), most of those cravings went away.
  • thatlostgirloverthere
    Options
    I have found success by eating more protein than I used to. At least 20% of my calories.
    greentart wrote: »
    Second the more protein. I also don't restrict myself. If I want some ice cream, I'll have some but an appropriate or smaller than portion. I rarely eat bread, unless it's deliciously fresh and I have the calories for it. I don't eat or keep around candy, cereal, yogurt or fried Chinese food. In general, it sounds like rather than focusing on SUGAR, maybe it would be better to focus on simply eating HEALTHIER. Throw out and don't buy the processed foods. It's much easier to not eat something when you don't have it.

Thanks so much! I'm going to try and eat more protein! It's kind of hard for me not to keep these foods around because I live with my nieces and nephews, and their mom buys sugary things for them to snack on. My boss also LOVES to give me candy and cookies. No matter how much I say no.

I'll try to be more serious about cutting the processed foods. I think this will help a lot.
  • thatlostgirloverthere
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My issues with sugar are actually physical pain. If I eat too much I wake up feeling bruised and sore all over. So I have to make a conscious decision. If I go over a certain amount I WILL feel horrible. I have tricks for treats that I use to keep the sugar down and the volume high.

Wow! Sugar really is awful for people. I don't feel that great all the time, but I never really thought that this could be because of sugar. What do you eat when the cravings are high?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Perhaps consulting a professional dietician would help you sort through the complexities of your depression and addiction.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Wow! Sugar really is awful for people. I don't feel that great all the time, but I never really thought that this could be because of sugar. What do you eat when the cravings are high?

Sugar is not "really awful for people". Unless you have a medical condition, eating a moderate amount of sugar daily is fine. Having a high sugar treat here and there, also fine.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

It isnt bad. Too much is.
  • hdrj22078
    hdrj22078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You could also have yeast in your body which can also make you crave sugar. The symptoms aren't always the itchy ones in the nether regions. Yeast can also cause lots of other problems. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had issues with sugars - I was horrible at modeating my intake. I finally adopted a low carb high fat diet to treat insulin resistance and was thrilled when my carb cravings went away after a few days of keeping carbs below 30g. It isn't for everyone, but very LCHF works well for me.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Are you eating so much sugar that you're going over your calorie goal?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

@arditarose since I left sugar and all forms of grains at the same time at the age of 63 I am not sure if it was cutting out both or it was one or the other but my pain was managed within 30 days. Leg swelling, IBS, blood work and pressure, etc all resolved. After being off them for 1.5 years I never plan to either either again but I do not freak out about eating food that has touched grains or sugar.

@thatlostgirloverthere in my case two weeks after totally ditching sugars and grains my physical craving started to fade fast. That was key to losing 50 pounds and keeping it off for the past year eating 2500-3000 calories daily.

Sugar is really of awful for me but not all people.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    hdrj22078 wrote: »
    You could also have yeast in your body which can also make you crave sugar. The symptoms aren't always the itchy ones in the nether regions. Yeast can also cause lots of other problems. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

@hdrj22078 I think yeast overgrowth was a major issue gut wise in my case. That is one reason I got heavy into coconut oil usage and still use it daily.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sugar is more addictive than Cocaine?
    These articles might put things into prospective and could assist your addiction.
    The below some points from Growing Human Kindness Article-

1/ Eating breakfast every morning
    2/ Including fat and protein in your meals
    3/ Eating regular meals (This is very calming and reassuring to the body.)
    4/ Drinking more water and less juice, sodas, and more
    5/ Creating a nourishing bedtime routine where you’re regularly getting 7 + hours of sleep a night

http://growinghumankindness.com/sugar-support/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#879826e4b7bd

Scientific Paper-
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@arditarose since I left sugar and all forms of grains at the same time at the age of 63 I am not sure if it was cutting out both or it was one or the other but my pain was managed within 30 days. Leg swelling, IBS, blood work and pressure, etc all resolved. After being off them for 1.5 years I never plan to either either again but I do not freak out about eating food that has touched grains or sugar.

@thatlostgirloverthere in my case two weeks after totally ditching sugars and grains my physical craving started to fade fast. That was key to losing 50 pounds and keeping it off for the past year eating 2500-3000 calories daily.

Sugar is really of awful for me but not all people.

Gale do you eat fruit at all? I was wondering if you react differently to fruit sugars than from candy sugars.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

...I do recall reading something about this ....glad you mentioned it, gonna read up on it again.

I don't believe sugar effects all of us the same way. Though I do believe for some eating sugar creates an urge to crave more. I'm currently in this group...cold turkey seems to be the only way for me at the moment. Later I'll see if I can try various types out again...dark chocolate doesn't seem to have the same effect in the cravings.

• hdrj22078
    hdrj22078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

@hdrj22078 I think yeast overgrowth was a major issue gut wise in my case. That is one reason I got heavy into coconut oil usage and still use it daily.

Do you just cook with the coconut oil? I've tried taking a tablespoon several times but I just couldn't do it.
  • Lisamjs1
    Lisamjs1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict. I'm going to try and cut it out after easter