Drinking! Student Life

Options
mobogogo
mobogogo Posts: 24 Member
Hi guys!

I am a college student on a fitness journey and i am doing quite well, i stopped drinking since the start of the year and i can see the weight slide off, the thing is i miss the party lifestyle, i feel boring now, i go out sober and it is just not the same! My friends think im boring too , how can i drink alcohol and still keep to my journey

Irish student life lol

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? Add some lifting and running to burn the beer calories
  • karimarie90
    karimarie90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just make different friends who have the same goals as you and support your lifestyle. You can have plenty of fun without having to go to parties and get wasted. Unfortunately, alcohol will in no way help your journey. If you go out once in awhile that's one thing, but the party "lifestyle" isn't an option if you want to maintain where you are and keep moving forward. It's one lifestyle choice or the other, you can't have both.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Skip the calorie heavy stuff like beer and go for the hard liquor with diet soda's if you need chase ;) Limit your drinking, you can't go out all weekend every weekend, and maybe incorporate a little extra exercise to give you a few more calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's 2 kinds of college students. The one kind has a lot of fun and drops out with debt. The other kind gets a lot of education and graduates with several job offer. Everyone else studies Anthropology.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Enjoy University...get drunk once in awhile and have fun.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There's 2 kinds of college students. The one kind has a lot of fun and drops out with debt. The other kind gets a lot of education and graduates with several job offer. Everyone else studies Anthropology.

I'd like to meet the kind with several job offers! :wink:

• King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    One of my buddies is in his late 40s and drinks like a fish, yet he is slim and doesn't even work out. He always says his secret is just eating at a calorie deficit and drinking hard liquor
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I have some good news:

jameson.jpg
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »

Engineers.
  • mobogogo
    Options

Packerjohn wrote: »
    Do you exercise? Add some lifting and running to burn the beer calories

Yah i lift quite heavy, plus I play with sports, im in the gym 4-5 times a week and train 2 times a week, im just a 'big person' and drinking doesn't help ... Lol

• mobogogo
    Options
    Skip the calorie heavy stuff like beer and go for the hard liquor with diet soda's if you need chase ;) Limit your drinking, you can't go out all weekend every weekend, and maybe incorporate a little extra exercise to give you a few more calories.

Thanks a mill! Its just so hard to watch what i eat and when i am drunk i just eat everything in sight!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I had lots of fun and graduated with honors, went on to get a Ph.D.

False dichotomy is false.

OP: Be wise. Don't party nightly, and skip the really calorie heavy stuff. (and be safe, and don't drive). Eat well every other day, keep exercising.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mobogogo wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I am a college student on a fitness journey and i am doing quite well, i stopped drinking since the start of the year and i can see the weight slide off, the thing is i miss the party lifestyle, i feel boring now, i go out sober and it is just not the same! My friends think im boring too , how can i drink alcohol and still keep to my journey

Irish student life lol

I'm 47 and I enjoy a couple mixed drinks a couple nights per week. I don't gain after drinking. I more often lose weight after drinking because it dries me up. I don't like to eat when I drink though so that may be why. I can't even think of eating when I've been drinking. Yuck.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    One of my buddies is in his late 40s and drinks like a fish, yet he is slim and doesn't even work out. He always says his secret is just eating at a calorie deficit and drinking hard liquor

Yep!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Engineers.

BINGO!

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    For me, the calories in alcohol aren't the problem. It's the fact that when I drink, I forget to pay attention to what I'm eating, when I've had a drink.
  • peterpan1003
    peterpan1003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat high protein the day of to keep you full but low calorie (think non starchy veggies and lean protein like fish or chicken) and definitely eat something small before you go out with some protein but nothing too filling.

Also be aware of how much you drink (standing helps you start to realize when it's affecting you plus burns more calories than sitting) and I eat a ton when I'm drunk too and as weird as it sounds lately made an effort to be around pre cooked healthier food (even just throw a ziplock in your purse) when I get to that level and fill up on protein and raw veggies - it's hard to eat more than 300 calories of chicken or carrots in a sitting even drunk but if it's chips I could down 1000 calories easily
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Fellow partier here- I replaced all of my alcohol with mixed drinks made with Grey Goose, mio/other flavours, and soda water. It gets me drunk, the water content saves me from being hungover, and GG is only like 60cal per shot.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For context, I do ID in robotics/consumer tech. You can drink and still ace a hard major (idk how I would have gotten this far if I didn't have a few drinks tbh)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    For me, the calories in alcohol aren't the problem. It's the fact that when I drink, I forget to pay attention to what I'm eating

This is my problem with social drinking- I tend to eat poorly when I am drunk. I now drink only 1x week if that and it is usually a glass of wine or diet coke, lime, and SoCo (leftover house drink from my college days lol).

And drinking isn't the only way to have fun either :)

Good luck with your weight loss and your studies!