Am I too old and kidding myself?

Options
124»

Replies

• TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You can do it too! We are all looking forward to your progress pictures!!
  • joannewhitfield563
    joannewhitfield563 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and still a size 8/10 sure it's a bit harder to keep toned and fit but that's what makes it worth it, you can achieve anything you want if your willing to put the work in x
  • SouleGirl802
    SouleGirl802 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    trueblu3 wrote: »
    I'm 39 40 in October but I'm feeling a bit down and thinking I'm wasting my time with all the exercise I do. I enjoy it greatly but have I left it to late to get that toned body and be extremely healthy? Wish I'd done this 20 years ago! I've been told that because I'm nearly 40 I will probably never get that chiselled body

Seriously? I'm 51....have had three kids, got kicked to the curb in a divorce after 22 years and I'm basically a couch potato with 35 pounds to lose! And guess what-I'm doing it! I see no reason why not-and can't isn't in my vocabulary. You're the youngest you'll ever be. What are you waiting for?

• FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's not too late. Check out the hodge twins on youtube they're in their 40's and look hot! And when they were younger, they were very un- healthy
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in October as well OP. I have no plans on giving up and I still have like 85 pounds to get rid of. I'm sure it will be worth it!!! Add me if you want!
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Nope never to old to be the best you u can be!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 40 in October but I'm feeling a bit down and thinking I'm wasting my time with all the exercise I do. I enjoy it greatly but have I left it to late to get that toned body and be extremely healthy? Wish I'd done this 20 years ago! I've been told that because I'm nearly 40 I will probably never get that chiselled body

I started at 39. So glad I did. Look and feel better than I did 20 years ago. Yes I was younger, but now I am stronger and can run much longer.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I think for most the age thing is just a mind game. Things change, and maybe it takes a little more time to reach certain goals, but if we rid ourselves of the age excuse and get out minds in it, we can still improve and hit most goals. I think there are a LOT of people 40+ on this site, or at least close, that would easily pass for much younger. Here and there I see photos of people 60+ that would pass for younger than 40. It all pays off.

I'm 53. I just recently dug up a 10k race finish time from back in my military days. I'm ahead of that pace on cardio output level today. I finished that 10k just outside the top 10%.

That race result was from 1988.

And I have no doubt people my age or older are quicker, pushing more, and training harder. There are legit medical conditions, obstacles, time restrictions, etc that many of us have in some form. But overall the age thing... not a big factor IMO.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number.

You've got this!
  • conniehealthygirl
    conniehealthygirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I turned 55 last week. Working on getting off the extra 20-30 pounds. I joined fitness team for work out. Returned to swimming. Learning to play racquetball. Most importantly I am watching food intake. I am eating healthy. Needless to say. I feel great. I look better. I am slowly building muscle and getting rid of my excess weight. It is never too late to be healthier!!! What is the other choice. Live and be sick. Fat. Unhealthy
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @trueblu3

39! You poor old bugger, time to give up, pull that tartan rug round your knees and maybe take up knitting? :wink:

Meanwhile last year at 55 I set a new PB for cycling in a day (128 miles) and this year I've got my eyes on a London -> Paris ride and going to see if I can get back to benching 1.5 x bodyweight.

If you want to see chiselled have a look at my friend's pictures and guess his age.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/babason2

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

You aren't old. I'm 47 and I hope to get very fit with time. When I was 40 I weighed 100 lbs and had a very nice body. I got pregnant though and that messed it up, LOL. Now I'm back seven years later.

My ex-husband is going on 52 years old and in the best shape he has ever been his whole life because he works out daily and eats mostly raw, very few ingredient foods. You can do it.