What do you say to someone who wants to give up?

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do something to engage your mind away from food. Take a walk, even a mall walk, see a friend, read a book, watch a comedy (watch a comedy on your phone while riding a stationary bike if you're ready for the next level of not giving up), put on music and dance around the house, sext someone, do ANYTHING. Just don't give up right now.
  • RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This feeling will pass. Trust me, I've been there. Just lay down, watch your favorite tv show, and feel good tomorrow.

Remember WHY you started. Remember how hard it is to start over, and it will not be any easier next time. Just hang in there, get through this, and keep going. You will not regret it!!
  • knp90210
    knp90210 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The feeling does pass. However, I struggle with keeping the weight off. I emotionally eat. It gets frustrating. I don't gain as much now that I track my weight every week, but it's hard to get off. I gained 37 lbs in college and lost 8 so far. I have been out for a year and gained it after 2012. Graduated 2015 with 37 lbs heavier than I started college. i have over 100 more lbs to lose until i get to a healthy weight and I have already lost 60+ lbs. I forgot the actual total but it's in the 60's. I just get frustrated and sometimes feel like I will never be thin. ( I say thin because I'm HUGE right now for my height.) Or I will look like a deflated version of me and not healthy looking. I have a fear that I won't look the way I am supposed to or be successful. I hope all this makes sense.
  • knp90210
    Options
    68.8 is the total since 2010. :)
  • coinruby
    coinruby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    knp90210 wrote: »
    The feeling does pass. However, I struggle with keeping the weight off. I emotionally eat. It gets frustrating. I don't gain as much now that I track my weight every week, but it's hard to get off. I gained 37 lbs in college and lost 8 so far. I have been out for a year and gained it after 2012. Graduated 2015 with 37 lbs heavier than I started college. i have over 100 more lbs to lose until i get to a healthy weight and I have already lost 60+ lbs. I forgot the actual total but it's in the 60's. I just get frustrated and sometimes feel like I will never be thin. ( I say thin because I'm HUGE right now for my height.) Or I will look like a deflated version of me and not healthy looking. I have a fear that I won't look the way I am supposed to or be successful. I hope all this makes sense.

• coinruby
    coinruby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Makes total sense. I am 4'11 and weigh 224 lbs. Haven't checked my weight and this whole carb counting is a little frustrating. I'm also in depression a lot of times. You have already lost weight. I am also diabetic. Crazy ups and downs, now, more than ever. You have been small before. I never have. Look at the positive. Use that one little positive and stand up with your head held high. I'm gonna use your positive to help me today. Thank you for sharing. I'll pray for you.
  • amy13a
    amy13a Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Because I feel like this right now. :(

Remember: Talk it slow. Body change isn't going to happen overnight. Make small goals (that helps me). You are further to your goal then when you started.
  • knp90210
    Options
    coinruby wrote: »
    Makes total sense. I am 4'11 and weigh 224 lbs. Haven't checked my weight and this whole carb counting is a little frustrating. I'm also in depression a lot of times. You have already lost weight. I am also diabetic. Crazy ups and downs, now, more than ever. You have been small before. I never have. Look at the positive. Use that one little positive and stand up with your head held high. I'm gonna use your positive to help me today. Thank you for sharing. I'll pray for you.

Glad I could help :) I'm far from small lol. I'm just much smaller than I was. :smiley:
  • knp90210
    Options
    amy13a wrote: »
    Because I feel like this right now. :(

Remember: Talk it slow. Body change isn't going to happen overnight. Make small goals (that helps me). You are further to your goal then when you started.

• knp90210
    Options
    I feel this way every night around 11pm. Ask yourself what would be the consequences or the outcome in 6 months if you give up now.

I like that idea :) Thanks
  • knp90210
    Options
    The time is going to pass anyway, so make choices that you're going to regret the least.

:)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP. Your avatar says it all!

Don't end up like me. Procrastinating and starting over for 1/2 of my life. My biggest regret is not doing this sooner. Seriously, if I can do this, anyone can.
  • knp90210
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Give up what?
    - Eating?
    - Moving?
    - Eating a very low calorie amount?
    - Exercising to excess?
    - Not exercising?
    - Logging food?
    - Weighing yourself?

Instead, I'd ask yourself: "why is this hard, what could I change?"
    Perhaps you have set yourself an unrealistic goal for eating or for exercise.
    You might like to try recalculating your calorie goal for a smaller loss per week. This isn't a bad thing, if you keep on working towards being healthy, I don't think it really matters how long it takes to lose weight. (Unless of course you have specific medical reasons and guidance).
    Or maybe look at the exercise you are doing and consider doing less, or doing more or the same amount of something different.
    Or maybe find a different way to log your foods (pre-log the night before) or plan your meals.

I'm nearly 50 and I have lost weight and regained it a number of times. Something that is finally sinking in for me is that I can't just "go on a diet" and be done with weight loss*. Reaching and keeping a healthy weight is something I'm going to have to do for the long term. It doesn't mean I have to suffer, I just have to be realistic.
    I've "given up" before too, and found myself right back where I was a few years ago. I hope you can do better than I did!

* I know this, I really do. I've said it to other people "this has to be a lifestyle change", "you have to be in this for the long run" but I haven't taken that on board for myself before. I'm hoping this time I can be kind to myself and stick with good habits.

Those were some good tips :) I'll try them out :) Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way :)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Don't be like me. I've hit my 60s about 50 pounds overweight, which I've been for decades, and suddenly it's not just a vanity thing. It's high blood pressure and arthritis in my left foot, which makes it harder to get around. I don't just want to be lighter on my feet anymore, I NEED to be.
  • knp90210
    Options
    Read the text of your profile picture. Open your diary. The wise heads in the community, and I'll accuse both queenliz99 and rankinsect of that, can better help you if they see what you've logged, and you can get better help if you log accurately and completely.

I totally forgot about my profile pic lol I took a screenshot of my profile page so I can have all of my motivations and goals within reach. :)

As for everybody else's responses, THANK YOU. I feel so much better now. I just get so overwhelmed with goals (both big and small) and feeling like I will just fail again. I am not going to give up. It will take some time in order to get to where I would like to be and to become confident in knowing that I can do that, but I don't think I want to give up now. Just a little discouraged. I can keep going though :)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Read the text of your profile picture. Open your diary. The wise heads in the community, and I'll accuse both queenliz99 and rankinsect of that, can better help you if they see what you've logged, and you can get better help if you log accurately and completely.

I totally forgot about my profile pic lol I took a screenshot of my profile page so I can have all of my motivations and goals within reach. :)

As for everybody else's responses, THANK YOU. I feel so much better now. I just get so overwhelmed with goals (both big and small) and feeling like I will just fail again. I am not going to give up. It will take some time in order to get to where I would like to be and to become confident in knowing that I can do that, but I don't think I want to give up now. Just a little discouraged. I can keep going though :)

Oh gosh. I'm so glad you're choosing to strongly move forward. Please stay strong, and keep us updated on your progress. I promise you won't regret it! :)
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you give up on your goals will you feel better or worse? Look at the big picture ...
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want More.
    Weve all given up at some point but inevitably you know in the long run youll be more satisfied with Making your best effort ;)
    Surround yourself with like minded people that will encourage you. Write out your goals and imagine yourself at your very best. You can do it !
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    You're on a road trip, you get a flat. Do you hail a cab home and start over or do you fix the flat and keep going? A friend just told me, view today as your rock bottom. Tomorrow you won't be there! Hugs!

This is a great way to look at it.

Also, think about a year from now. You don't want to be wishing then that right now you would have stuck to it. Just think about how far along you will be with your weight loss in another year!
  • knp90210
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    You're on a road trip, you get a flat. Do you hail a cab home and start over or do you fix the flat and keep going? A friend just told me, view today as your rock bottom. Tomorrow you won't be there! Hugs!

This is a great way to look at it.

Also, think about a year from now. You don't want to be wishing then that right now you would have stuck to it. Just think about how far along you will be with your weight loss in another year!

That's hard to think about since I've been stuck for a while. But a great thing to think about :)