I feel like I can’t do it anymore….

Options
13»

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I get home from a physically demanding job at around 4:40 in the afternoon myself. And I get my rear off the couch and back out the door to my dojo for a 2 hour workout, 3 nights a week. Sure I frequently don't feel much like going back out, but I do it anyway. Been doing MFP for 360 days and counting. Some days have been better than others but I have never felt like giving up.

Getting up at 2 am to workout is insane. Getting enough sleep is also very important to weight loss, not to mention good health.

If you can't keep doing it every day for the rest of your life you need to change your plan.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Food is the devil and the temptation is so great. I need to find other ways to deal with it. I know I can't be the only one to struggle with it and it helps knowing that there are other people out there like me. That's why i appreciate all of your information.

This is a red flag. Do you really view food this way?

This. Stop demonizing food. Eat the foods you love, in moderation. Fit them into your calorie goal.

My guess is you're being overly restrictive and it's doing more harm than good.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel

I've been exercising and making sure my calorie intake is lower than what it has set me, yet my weight is yoyoing, overall though it is a little lower

I can understand that it maybe muscles etc, but I am not doing weights, sit-ups etc, just jogging on the spot and walking
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I get home from a physically demanding job at around 4:40 in the afternoon myself. And I get my rear off the couch and back out the door to my dojo for a 2 hour workout, 3 nights a week. Sure I frequently don't feel much like going back out, but I do it anyway. Been doing MFP for 360 days and counting. Some days have been better than others but I have never felt like giving up.

Getting up at 2 am to workout is insane. Getting enough sleep is also very important to weight loss, not to mention good health.

If you can't keep doing it every day for the rest of your life you need to change your plan.

It's only insane if you work 9 - 5 and go to bed at 10 pm. You don't know her schedule (though her husband did clarify it above, I'll assume you didn't see his post when you replied). It's a 24 hour world. People have all kinds of crazy schedules.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I notice you get up an hour before you work out, but based on when you get home, it's not a long drive. You might be able to streamline your morning routine and catch a bit more shuteye. I used to get out the door in under 10 minutes for early workouts. A few things that helped:

I slept in my gym clothes. They make great pj's and they aren't going to get dirty while you sleep.

I packed my bag the night before and left it by the door.

I had a coffee pot on a timer so it would be ready when I woke up and I wouldn't need to wait for it. I set out a travel mug beside it so I could just pour and go.

If I was going to have a pre-workout I had the shaker cup out with the powder already in it. I often made it up on the subway using water from my bottle.

If you have any chores that beed to be done before the gym, you might want to see if your husband would trade for things you can do between 4:30 and when you leave for work.

None of these make a huge impact alone, but it all adds up, and an extra 20-30 minutes of sleep could make a difference.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's only insane if you work 9 - 5 and go to bed at 10 pm. You don't know her schedule (though her husband did clarify it above, I'll assume you didn't see his post when you replied). It's a 24 hour world. People have all kinds of crazy schedules.

Actually I work from 7-3:30 and get up at 5:30 am and home from the dojo at 9:30 and am in bed by 10:00. But that's neither here nor there. Let me rephrase.

Getting up at 2:00 AM to go to the gym is insane, in my personal opinion. No I didn't see that the OPs husband posted.

Sure people do have all kinds of CRAZY schedules. Crazy/insane Potato/Potahto.

My opinion hasn't changed.

Some things you don't have a choice about. Others you do. The OP could sleep longer and work out in the afternoon/evening. She choses not to because in her words she does not feel like going back out. My post points out that feeling like it or not feeling like it does not have to determine whether or not you do it.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Actually I work from 7-3:30 and get up at 5:30 am and home from the dojo at 9:30 and am in bed by 10:00. But that's neither here nor there. Let me rephrase.

Getting up at 2:00 AM to go to the gym is insane, in my personal opinion. No I didn't see that the OPs husband posted.

Sure people do have all kinds of CRAZY schedules. Crazy/insane Potato/Potahto.

My opinion hasn't changed.

Some things you don't have a choice about. Others you do. The OP could sleep longer and work out in the afternoon/evening. She choses not to because in her words she does not feel like going back out. My post points out that feeling like it or not feeling like it does not have to determine whether or not you do it.

Can the OP head to the gym directly from work, before going home? Then she's not going home and not wanting to go back out. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to do what you don't want to do. I love going to the gym. I go at more reasonable hours. But there are still days where I'm just not feeling it. I make myself go and at least get 80-90% of my workout in so I don't get out of the habit. If I take more than a week off, it's too easy not to go back. And I'm usually glad I went when I'm done.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's input. I thank you all for your information.

Getting up at 2am is when is best for me to go to the gym. After work, I get home at 430 and honestly I don't feel like going back out after getting home from the office. SO doing it before hand works well. I work out between 3am and 4:10am. Then I get home by 430 and get ready for the day. When I do get home in the afternoon from the office its time to make dinner and get ready for the next day. I did find time to start a new exercise DVD called CIZE. It's fun to do and really gets the heart pumping too. Usually after all that I head upstairs for the evening and usually go to sleep about 7pm.

I really needed to just hear how others deal with that feeling of wanting to give up and give in. Food is the devil and the temptation is so great. I need to find other ways to deal with it. I know I can't be the only one to struggle with it and it helps knowing that there are other people out there like me. That's why i appreciate all of your information.

All of the gym semantics aside, I think the most important factor for staying on track is that you have to want to be healthier more than you want the food. You control your food intake; it doesn't control you. When everyone else at work asks me everyday if I want to go get a burger and fries, well heck yes I do, but then I think about how far I've come, and how easily I could gain that weight back, and the decision to say no is easy. I'd rather see the current number on the scale than the old one. The temptations and cravings lose their hold on me. Each time you resist the urge to cave in, it becomes easier. Picture the new wardrobe you want to buy at your goal weight! :)

Food isn't the devil - if anything, it's the opposite. It nourishes our bodies and keeps us healthy. It's not the enemy even though it seems like it sometimes. Is what you're doing sustainable for the long term, though? This isn't a diet - if you want the weight to stay off, it has to be a lifestyle change. If you can't see yourself doing your current approach in five years, maybe you might want to map out something that works better for you.

One thought: do you plan your meals in advance? I have found for me personally that if I plan in advance and cook as much as I can in advance as possible, I am less likely to cave into temptations. Prelogging helps, too. Build treats in throughout the week so you don't feel deprived. That way, even though you want something today, and you know it's on the menu for tomorrow, that will help.

If its been at least a month or more and you aren't losing, though, it's because you're eating more than you burn, purely and simply. That's why it's important to weigh and track everything.

It's not always easy, but it's worth it in the end. If you give up, what do you gain besides your weight? You deserve to be healthy for you and your family!
    Best of luck to you!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There are gyms open at 2 am? Flippin' heck! ! Get some sleep and get up at a more 'normal ' time?

Losing weight is all about eating at deficit.

Sleep deprivation does not help weight loss.

Getting up at 2am is when is best for me to go to the gym. After work, I get home at 430 and honestly I don't feel like going back out after getting home from the office. SO doing it before hand works well. I work out between 3am and 4:10am. Then I get home by 430 and get ready for the day. When I do get home in the afternoon from the office its time to make dinner and get ready for the next day. I did find time to start a new exercise DVD called CIZE. It's fun to do and really gets the heart pumping too. Usually after all that I head upstairs for the evening and usually go to sleep about 7pm.

I really needed to just hear how others deal with that feeling of wanting to give up and give in. Food is the devil and the temptation is so great. I need to find other ways to deal with it. I know I can't be the only one to struggle with it and it helps knowing that there are other people out there like me. That's why i appreciate all of your information.

All of the gym semantics aside, I think the most important factor for staying on track is that you have to want to be healthier more than you want the food. You control your food intake; it doesn't control you. When everyone else at work asks me everyday if I want to go get a burger and fries, well heck yes I do, but then I think about how far I've come, and how easily I could gain that weight back, and the decision to say no is easy. I'd rather see the current number on the scale than the old one. The temptations and cravings lose their hold on me. Each time you resist the urge to cave in, it becomes easier. Picture the new wardrobe you want to buy at your goal weight! :)

Food isn't the devil - if anything, it's the opposite. It nourishes our bodies and keeps us healthy. It's not the enemy even though it seems like it sometimes. Is what you're doing sustainable for the long term, though? This isn't a diet - if you want the weight to stay off, it has to be a lifestyle change. If you can't see yourself doing your current approach in five years, maybe you might want to map out something that works better for you.

One thought: do you plan your meals in advance? I have found for me personally that if I plan in advance and cook as much as I can in advance as possible, I am less likely to cave into temptations. Prelogging helps, too. Build treats in throughout the week so you don't feel deprived. That way, even though you want something today, and you know it's on the menu for tomorrow, that will help.

If its been at least a month or more and you aren't losing, though, it's because you're eating more than you burn, purely and simply. That's why it's important to weigh and track everything.

It's not always easy, but it's worth it in the end. If you give up, what do you gain besides your weight? You deserve to be healthy for you and your family!
    Best of luck to you!

AWESOME ADVICE everyone! This group is great! I am so proud to be a member here!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    4aces61 wrote: »

She is not spending 2 hours in the gym as some have noted.

I would like to comment, and clarify a few things. First, I find it funny how some of you will criticize for someones gym hours, just because you don't think it's an appropriate time to train. Just so everyone knows, Queenbee is my wife. In Jan of 2014 I started out on my own journey to get in shape. I was very overweight and unhealthy. Several months later, my wife decided she wanted to get on board with going to the gym. I was already training at 3am, (as this fits my schedule, start work at 5am) So to help her out, when she got home from work at 4:30 in the afternoon, I would head back to the gym with her. Anyone that belongs to a gym knows this is prime time for members. So with travel time and gym time, we were getting back home anywhere from 6:30 to 7pm. Then dinner has to be made, and whatever else needed to be done before settling in for the evening. A few months later, she decided she wanted to try getting up with me to go early. (great for me cuz the 2/day workouts were starting to get taxing) It was tough for her as you can imagine, but as time passed she got used to it. So she's been getting up early for the gym about a year now. There are days she doesn't feel like getting out of bed, so she doesn't.

As far as rest, I believe she gets enough. She's usually in bed by 7pm, sometimes before, and sleeps til 2. That's 7 hours of sleep give or take. The gym is empty except for a few ppl, so there is no issue with waiting for equipment like there is in the afternoon. So we can make the most of our time spent there.

Some key things I feel she left out of her OP. She's already been to the doctors and had everything checked to find out why she is having so much trouble dropping the weight. They can't find anything wrong. Yes, her thyroid has been checked also. Except for being overweight, she's healthy, which imo is great. So we've tried different things, sustained cardio, HIIT, she's lifting weights now for a couple months on top of the cardio. One thing I do believe, and I have been trying to get her to understand this, is a lot of days she comes in way under her calories. I have explained how restricting calories can slow her metabolism way down. I believe this is what's happening. We are now closely monitoring her macros and intake to see if this triggers some loss.

I suggested to her posting here, because I knew there would be other females here experiencing similar issues. Those that have chimed in with ideas, thank you. Hopefully this additional info may lead to other ides.

I know this was supposed to be a post somehow supportive, but to be completely honest, I do not like it. You are speaking as if you are making your wife's decisions. You decided to lose weight, she joined you. You decided what time is best for the gym, she followed you. You think her metabolism is slowing down. You are monitoring her macros. You tried different things (you, not she), you suggested she posts here. Maybe it is me, but it sounds weird. You are not her father.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 186 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is an interesting thread, pointing out differences between a young man's typical fitness routine and a woman's. Men often find fitness success through long grueling workouts. Their muscles respond well to being pushed hard. Women sometimes find that similar workouts put their bodies into stress, they end up retaining water, their joints inflamed and their hormones out of balance. (Not every woman, but some.)

I'm not wild about gyms due to the extra time needed to travel to and from the gym. Queen Bee likes to exercise at the beginning of her day. That's ideal! She starts prepping for work at 4:30. She should be able to get up at 4:00, do some calisthenics on the floor for10 minutes, followed by 20 minutes cardio, either a DVD or something like jumping rope, and be sweating and ready for her shower after just 30 minutes. That's a complete work-out, all she needs, and something she can do six days a week for the rest of her life. With that and a reasonable daily caloric intake of both nutritious and yummy food she should reach her goals and be able to maintain them.

I did exactly that routine for many years and maintained 110lbs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not wild about gyms due to the extra time needed to travel to and from the gym. Queen Bee likes to exercise at the beginning of her day. That's ideal! She starts prepping for work at 4:30. She should be able to get up at 4:00, do some calisthenics on the floor for10 minutes, followed by 20 minutes cardio, either a DVD or jumping rope, and be sweating and ready for her shower after just 30 minutes. That's a complete work-out, all she needs and something she can do six days a week for the rest of her life. With that and a reasonable daily caloric intake of both nutritious and healthy food she should reach her goals and be able to maintain them.

I did exactly that routine for many years and maintained 110lbs.

^^ +1
    And this is what I do too and have been doing since 2013, I don't waste time/money on gyms I do my workouts all at home. Think of the time you'd save :smile:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Since both you and your husband are working out, have you considered investing in some equipment and putting together a home gym? It need not be terribly expensive, but you can get a decent workout at your convenience, without getting up at 2 am or fighting the crowds after work.

My husband and I both have memberships to a gym and yoga studio, but for under $1000 have put together some space in the basement to get in a good plyometric workout (TRX, kettle bells, bosu, weighted balls, weighted bars, plyo box). I usually try to run outside, but head to the gym to the treadmill in inclement weather.
  • clslingluff
    clslingluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So this is my first comment, and it isn't for each participant; only for the original posting married couple. I firmly believe what works for each individual is what works for them. But you must enjoy what you are doing in order for it to work. ➡️Remember 80/20 if you are wishing to lose weight it's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. ⬅️

When you eat it has to be the healthy carbs which can be enjoyable; you just need to find the right recipes that will satisfy your tastes
  • clslingluff
    clslingluff Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

When you eat it has to be the healthy carbs which can be enjoyable; you just need to find the right recipes that will satisfy your tastes it will take adjustments and work. But if you are not willing to make those changes then you will fail until you are really ready. I'm not saying any of this to be mean, I'm just being honest. Moderation is important too. If you wish to indulge in the "yummy" foods maybe only once a week doing that in the afternoon and moderately. There is so much to this game, be the Ike's seem to be simpler than most others make it out to be.

Burn more calories in a full day than you put into your body..... It can be confusing but simplify it this way: if the app runs you at 1300 calls a day eat 1100 to 1200 a day. The key is proper carbs and portion control. I suppose I can go on and on about what you should eat and what you shouldn't but then it is possible I would be just talking for quite awhile and you may or may not be interested: because in the end it is what appeals to you. You are both more than welcome to message me or add me to your friends list. I have an open food diary to friends. I am not a coach or trainer. I'm just a normal Mom on a mission this year to lose 20 and keep it off. (I half there).

I wish you both the best
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have often been in those slumps, but a friend told me about Advocare. I tried the products and I have felt so different. The spark drink gives me so much energy. Don't give up, but don't overdue it either. Eat clean and healthy. A good detox every 3-4 months is a good habit.

Best of luck!

Mmm. No. You don't need to use Advocare or any outside products. Definitely not anything claiming to be a "detox" as if you have functioning kidneys and a liver you're good to go.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    4aces61 wrote: »

She is not spending 2 hours in the gym as some have noted.

I would like to comment, and clarify a few things. First, I find it funny how some of you will criticize for someones gym hours, just because you don't think it's an appropriate time to train. Just so everyone knows, Queenbee is my wife. In Jan of 2014 I started out on my own journey to get in shape. I was very overweight and unhealthy. Several months later, my wife decided she wanted to get on board with going to the gym. I was already training at 3am, (as this fits my schedule, start work at 5am) So to help her out, when she got home from work at 4:30 in the afternoon, I would head back to the gym with her. Anyone that belongs to a gym knows this is prime time for members. So with travel time and gym time, we were getting back home anywhere from 6:30 to 7pm. Then dinner has to be made, and whatever else needed to be done before settling in for the evening. A few months later, she decided she wanted to try getting up with me to go early. (great for me cuz the 2/day workouts were starting to get taxing) It was tough for her as you can imagine, but as time passed she got used to it. So she's been getting up early for the gym about a year now. There are days she doesn't feel like getting out of bed, so she doesn't.

As far as rest, I believe she gets enough. She's usually in bed by 7pm, sometimes before, and sleeps til 2. That's 7 hours of sleep give or take. The gym is empty except for a few ppl, so there is no issue with waiting for equipment like there is in the afternoon. So we can make the most of our time spent there.

Some key things I feel she left out of her OP. She's already been to the doctors and had everything checked to find out why she is having so much trouble dropping the weight. They can't find anything wrong. Yes, her thyroid has been checked also. Except for being overweight, she's healthy, which imo is great. So we've tried different things, sustained cardio, HIIT, she's lifting weights now for a couple months on top of the cardio. One thing I do believe, and I have been trying to get her to understand this, is a lot of days she comes in way under her calories. I have explained how restricting calories can slow her metabolism way down. I believe this is what's happening. We are now closely monitoring her macros and intake to see if this triggers some loss.

I suggested to her posting here, because I knew there would be other females here experiencing similar issues. Those that have chimed in with ideas, thank you. Hopefully this additional info may lead to other ides.

First of all, I am very impressed that you are doing this together. Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have that kind of support. I don't have any words of wisdom to help you stay on track, however, I would like to reiterate that it's important for you to do it sooner than later. I'm 62 and it's so much harder as you get older. Good luck to you.
  • hellofromtheoutside
    Options
    Please don't give up! The main key in losing weight is controlling your mind. When u see food that u r not suppose to eat, think of it as the lumps of greasy fat that u do not want to eat. U need to stay away from it! BUT, if u really want it, let yourself have it but only a small portion. If u strain yourself from not eating something too much, someday u will "burst" and basically u will devour every carb food u see. Like a balloon with too much air in it, quote u will "burst".
    I suggest:
    Eat half the portion u normally do
    Use a smaller plate so it looks like u are eating more (this helps me a lot)
    Drink at least 800ml of water a day
    Keep bad food out of your sigh so u r not tempted
    Grab any fruits instead of chips
    Do not ever think u have to starve yourself to meet your goal
    It is just simply eating healthier, it's just we are not use to it so we think of it as a negative way

I am the same way as u. If I don't see results, I tend to lose hope and just want to quit. But remember this, if we keep maintaining our "diet", at the end of the road, we will look like a goddess! We get to walk around in our bikinis with no shame and best of all, WE DO NOT HAVE AS MANY DISEASES like diabetes and all that. When u are about to give up, think of all of the positives and y u started this in the first place. Good luck!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I’ve been going to the gym now for quite some time. I was doing well with my diet and was down 33lbs. However since then my diet has started to go back to the way it was and now the pounds are creeping back on. I want to enjoy those yummy foods. It’s hard getting up at 2am to go to the gym. I feel like I’ve slipped and I can’t seem to straighten myself out. It’s starting to depress me. Have any of you felt like that? I feel like I should be seeing some results because I go to the gym and work out hard. However my efforts I believe are been beaten by the food I eat sometimes. I feel like throwing in the towel and giving up. What do you guy do when you get to this point?

I don't think OP says anything about not getting enough sleep, so that is not the issue. MIssing yummy foods and not seeing results stand out as what is causing her to feel like giving up.

Too much restriction can lead to a deprivation mentality. I can't eat this, I can't eat that. I have to get up at 2am to go to the gym, I have to go to the gym everyday at 5pm. Same thing. We've made enemies of the very things we used to enjoy. Or maybe we didn't really enjoy it that much, only the short term results. If it's truly a lifestyle we gotta find the happy medium between the depressing restrictions and giving up.

I think it's great that OP and her husband are working together. What works for him though may not work so well for her. She's been doing it a year now and found the routine unsustainable. OP, you may need to rethink why you want to lose weight or adopt a healthy lifestyle. Write that down to re-remind yourself why you are making the decisions you are.

You may need to give yourself permission to have some yummy snacks or a Bonus Meal that you can look forward to. I don't make an enemy of any food. I tell myself that I can have that (yummy food) at my next Bonus Meal, not that I can never have that (yummy food) again.

Sometimes I don't feel like going to the gym. I may even skip that day. The next day though I go with the thought that I don't have to go all out. I just need to do 10 minutes on the elliptical, more if I feel like it. Ya know what? Once I get to the gym and start listening to my tunes, I do more because it feels good and I want to. Not because of some oppressive routine.

It's like I have a really good coach who is looking after me and wants me to do well and will cut me some slack cuz I'm his favorite. It feels good to be spoiled sometimes.

I've punished myself enough. I deserve some happiness.

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I thought people were jumping on the fact she gets up at 2am and not realize she goes to bed at 7pm or earlier so, 2am is not such an "insane" time as assumed.