Artificial Sweeteners - How much am I really having?

Options
2»

Replies

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    That being said, detox is not nonsense. Addicts everywhere will support that statement. If you feel only detoxing from sugar is nonsense, anyone who has experienced "carb flu" also knows it is very real.

That being said, detox is still nonsense:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/detox-what-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

Even if addicts everywhere did support your statement, which i doubt, and even if someone experienced carb flu, it doesn't prove, by any stretch of the imagination, that detox is anything but a scam.

You're insisting on warping my word choice as if I had used it like I was advertising some gimmick. From the article: "“Detox” is a legitimate medical term that has been turned into a marketing strategy".

If I had used the word "abstain" would that make you happier? All I said was stop eating them for a week - which is something I personally did and had success with. I neither recommended any fake detox treatments (I'm well aware those are bogus) nor did I mention any ridiculous shenanigan conditions mentioned in this article.

You break a nicotine addiction by stopping nicotine, you stop an alcohol addiction by stopping drinking. You have a sugar addiction, you stop sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That being said, detox is not nonsense. Addicts everywhere will support that statement. If you feel only detoxing from sugar is nonsense, anyone who has experienced "carb flu" also knows it is very real.

Even if addicts everywhere did support your statement, which i doubt, and even if someone experienced carb flu, it doesn't prove, by any stretch of the imagination, that detox is anything but a scam.

You're insisting on warping my word choice as if I had used it like I was advertising some gimmick. From the article: "“Detox” is a legitimate medical term that has been turned into a marketing strategy".

If I had used the word "abstain" would that make you happier? All I said was stop eating them for a week - which is something I personally did and had success with. I neither recommended any fake detox treatments (I'm well aware those are bogus) nor did I mention any ridiculous shenanigan conditions mentioned in this article.

You break a nicotine addiction by stopping nicotine, you stop an alcohol addiction by stopping drinking. You have a sugar addiction, you stop sugar.

Flawed analogy. What would a person do who is addicted to food?

Also, I find moderation to be a far more sustainable approach to most things than abstension. Which can lead to bingeing and then remorse.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I did not twist your words at all. You're just upset that I'm pointing out that are factually incorrect. Here is what you originally said:

"There are many widely varying opinions on artificial sweeteners - from them being completely harmless (doubt it) to the most detrimental thing you can eat (also doubt it). I am of the opinion that artificial sweeteners probably aren't good for you, but neither is diabetes. If you absolutely cannot get your sweet tooth under control, better this than pounds of sugar (again, my opinion).

HOWEVER, I'm also of the opinion that artificial sweeteners are highly addictive and require a detox."

Couple of things:

You're of the incorrect opinion that artificial sweeteners are not completely harmless and are addicitive. They is no evidence at all that they are harmful to human health and that they are addictive.

No where in your original statement did you say that you should abstain from them for a week. You said they were highly addictive (they are not) and that you need to detox (you dont.)

In your original statement you were talking about artificial sweeteners and now, for some reason, your changing that to sugar addiction. Last I checked sugar addiction is not real. And are you really comparing alcoholism and nicotine addiction to hypothetical sugar addiction? Nicotine and alcohol addiction destroy lives and rip apart families, sugar doesn't.
  • smharris911
    smharris911 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :)
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    There are so many opinions on this.. but I remember looking it up before (because friends were giving me a hard time that I drink diet sodas (not so much anymore however)) and it said it's one of the most tested things by the FDA and they have no actual solid findings.

I've been drinking diet sodas, juices, syrups, ect since my dad was diagnosed with diabetes about 10-12 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. I was about 10 or 11 when he was diagnosed so, it's been since I was a kid. I actually DO NOT like the tastes of regular soda now, they are WAAAYYY to sweet. (I mean a bottle of orange soda is over 70g of sugar, and my sugar intake currently on this site should be 53 or lower.) I even water down most of my juices, including my light juices!

So eat what you want as long as you feel fine and your doctors say you are healthy!

(my friends will still actually say after I tell them about the FDA testing with no results, they say "well I can STILL be right." ugh, piss off lol.)