Just found tahini from Trader Joe's, need more ideas!

Jess__I__Can
Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
So I just found TJ's tahini for some falafel I was making, and I fell in love. I know tahini is good for dipping veggies, but its also pretty calorie dense. What recipes do you have that include tahini in small amounts that stick pack a bunch of flavor?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I use it when I make hummus and in salad dressing occasionally. I've also used it on rice and noodle bowls. Here is the recipe https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2855821
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    So I just found TJ's tahini for some falafel I was making, and I fell in love. I know tahini is good for dipping veggies, but its also pretty calorie dense. What recipes do you have that include tahini in small amounts that stick pack a bunch of flavor?

I've been looking for a good falafel recipe, do you mind sharing the one you're using?
  • Jess__I__Can

I've been looking for a good falafel recipe, do you mind sharing the one you're using?

Sure, but its not very special, lol! I went to Trader Joe's because it was new in town and I heard they had pre-cooked, frozen falafel, which is also how I found the tahini sauce there. So I just make their frozen ones, and they are VERY good. I think you get 12 in a bag for $3.99 here in Oklahoma.

Other than that, I have used dry falafel mix from other stores, but it wasn't as good. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Try tzatziki sauce on the falafel. Yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon...much lower calorie than tahini, and just as tasty.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Try tzatziki sauce on the falafel. Yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon...much lower calorie than tahini, and just as tasty.

Thanks for the tip! I haven't found a good tzatziki recipe, every time I try to make it, it comes out super watery. Do you have any tips for tzatziki ?
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member

Sure, but its not very special, lol! I went to Trader Joe's because it was new in town and I heard they had pre-cooked, frozen falafel, which is also how I found the tahini sauce there. So I just make their frozen ones, and they are VERY good. I think you get 12 in a bag for $3.99 here in Oklahoma.

Other than that, I have used dry falafel mix from other stores, but it wasn't as good. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    @revolucia78 I have what I think is a pretty good falafel recipe. It uses canned garbanzo beans, which I know some may consider sacrilege, but it keeps them from drying out while cooking. I do 2 cans mashed with 2 tsp cumin, 3-5 cloves of garlic(depending on how garlicky you like your food), a quarter cup each of chopped cilantro and parsley, a couple pinches of cayenne pepper, the juice of 2 lemons, 2 tsp baking powder, an egg, 1/2 cup of flour, and salt to taste. They turn out great every time, and they're awesome with homemade tzaziki
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    The dressing from this recipe uses tahini and is deeeeelicious

http://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

Can update it for spring by adding roasted asparagus to the veggies
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Make some homemade hummus. Yum!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited March 2016

Thanks for the tip! I haven't found a good tzatziki recipe, every time I try to make it, it comes out super watery. Do you have any tips for tzatziki ?

If you want it thicker, you could use greek yogurt instead of traditional yogurt, or just drain your traditional yogurt a bit before mixing up the tzatziki. Also, salt your (sliced or chopped) cucumber and let it rest in a strainer to remove some of the water before mixing up the tzatziki. I've never put lemon in tzatziki. I like adding a little dill and/or mint.

ETA: I also like to spread tahini on toast, and subbing it for peanut butter (or use both) in a peanut/sesame butter and banana sandwich.

And, as others have said, use tahini in salad dressings and in hummus (get creative and try other beans than garbanzo, add different spices and herbs).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I never salt my cucumber to get water out but I do peel (because we have the gross waxed cucumbers) then slice the cucumber lengthwise then scoop the seeds out with a spoon before dicing or grating. Tons of water in the seeded part. I second the greek yogurt and a little dill instead of lemon. A little minced garlic and some salt and you have wonderful sauce. I also make a batch ahead of time since the flavors get better after several hours mingling.

I've only made hummus with tahini. I ran into the same problem as you as far as needing to use it up lol. I wish it came in smaller jars.