What was your unhealthy dishes you stopped eating

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    man i eat literally everything on a weekly basis everyone is saything they cut out (except for spaghetti tacos) if i do nothing all day like when i have school (most days) i only have 1300 calories (according to fitbit and scooby) if i get 10k steps i have around 1500 a day... if i want to eat calorie dense food i get more steps/work out more....If i can fit pasta and bread and rice and ice cream and donuts then anyone can. just ate a homemade ham and cheese croissant.

But not everyone wants to. If I never eat another donut as long as I live I'll be quite happy.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I try and fit most everything in. There are a couple things I can't justify fitting in-
    Pancakes, so many calories for so little and not filling, plus I never really liked pancakes
    Mac and cheese, even more calories for a even smaller serving size and not even the slightest bit filling.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    man i eat literally everything on a weekly basis everyone is saything they cut out (except for spaghetti tacos) if i do nothing all day like when i have school (most days) i only have 1300 calories (according to fitbit and scooby) if i get 10k steps i have around 1500 a day... if i want to eat calorie dense food i get more steps/work out more....If i can fit pasta and bread and rice and ice cream and donuts then anyone can. just ate a homemade ham and cheese croissant.

But not everyone wants to. If I never eat another donut as long as I live I'll be quite happy.

yea but a lot of posts in the this thread are not saying im so happy to not eat these foods again. Some are and some are restrictive.. i am obviously not directing what i am saying to people happy to give up a food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just don't think in terms of never, normally. I don't think I've actually had mac and cheese since I started this in early 2014 (or for several months before), but if someone makes a good homemade mac & cheese (we used to have a friend who came for Thanksgiving who would), I'd surely eat some.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've always had reasonably good nutrition (relative to the general population) and I learned to cook a long time ago back in college because I was poor for one and to impress the ladies for another so cooking has long been a passion of mine and I tend to think that most things cooked from scratch, whole ingredients are pretty healthy for the most part unless you're just going crazy deep frying everything, etc. which I never did.

For the most part, I learned that I didn't need to use as much oil as I tended to use in my dishes. I also rarely came close to the recommended servings of veg and fruit so that was something I changed basically first thing. I also cut way back on eating out and dropped my 3-5 soda per day habit...I still have one occasionally, but I probably have five per year or something these days. I also eat a lot more whole grains than I used to.

I still enjoy things like pizza night out with the family and I love pub food like fish 'n chips...I just keep that kind of stuff to a minimum.

ETA: I do a lot better with planning now than I used to. If I know I'm going out for New Mexican or going out for some pub food or something, I just plan my day around that and know that if I'm going for breakfast for example that I probably will either forgo lunch or have a salad or something...or if I'm going for lunch I'll have a pretty minimal breakfast, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just don't think in terms of never, normally. I don't think I've actually had mac and cheese since I started this in early 2014 (or for several months before), but if someone makes a good homemade mac & cheese (we used to have a friend who came for Thanksgiving who would), I'd surely eat some.

I do the same. I haven't had cheesecake in decades but there wasn't a point where I said "I'm giving up cheesecake." I just never seem to think it's worth the calories so I don't eat it.

Soda may be the only thing I intentionally gave up. But even that hasn't been 100%, even though I'd prefer it was. It's surprising to me how many gatherings I go to where nothing but soda is offered.
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    White chocolate. It tastes really sickly to me now.

Crisps / potato chips.

McDonald's.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I want a donut now. A maple cream one or chocolate cake sounds heavenly. Oh well, not leaving work for a donut. :p
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

"Never" is reserved for the foods I liked at one time, tried later and hated. Mostly childhood snack food favorites that either never tasted as good as I'd thought, or the manufacturer changed the recipe and ruined it to my tastebuds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I try and fit most everything in. There are a couple things I can't justify fitting in-
    Pancakes, so many calories for so little and not filling, plus I never really liked pancakes
    Mac and cheese, even more calories for a even smaller serving size and not even the slightest bit filling.

I hate it when I have a pancake craving. It just never fills me up and I always end up at maintenance or over that day... every. single. time. So frustrating (that's when I have the real thing though, kodiak cakes fit just fine as long as I don't go nuts on the toppings, but they won't satisfy a real pancake craving).

I'm with you about mac and cheese... it's one of those things I can't justify more than a couple bites from my kids' plate when they order it at restaurants.

To be fair, I grew up in France and did just fine for 23 years without either of those, lol!
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad actually. There is a lot of deprivation going on. I understand not eating a whole pizza or a whole bag or dozen of something anymore. But really. If I want an Oreo bad enough, i will have an Oreo. I will have pizza, and ice cream and pasta. I will just measure it and be aware of it. Not a big deal. I do tend to avoid Ranch dressing and some cheese. Only because its calorie dense and it's the easiest thing to create my deficit with by cutting. But when I really really want some, I have it. That's the only way this is going to work for me. I need to learn to live in the world I already live in and make better decisions. Not completely change my world. That's just how I feel anyway.

But surely you know that people who've struggled with weight in the past will probably always have trigger foods and that it's a work in progress, right?
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The only food I've completely given up is Lucky Charms. I have lots of self control, but lose it all when it comes to Lucky Charms. If given the opportunity, I could easily eat an entire box in one sitting. So, just to be safe, no more Lucky Charms. Everything else I still eat in moderation.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    No need to stop eating anything but I've learned to not keep cookies, Reese's cups, or ice cream in the house due to my lack of control
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How about horrible serving sizes? I used to make an entire box of Kraft Mac and cheese and eat the whole thing to myself, often with chicken or veggies thrown in. Before I started using a food scale, the amount of pasta or chips I thought was one serving were way off! I stopped eating meat and dairy, but I'm
    not horrified that I ate them. I will also never just pour olive oil on pasta or vegetables again, that gets measured also!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad actually. There is a lot of deprivation going on. I understand not eating a whole pizza or a whole bag or dozen of something anymore. But really. If I want an Oreo bad enough, i will have an Oreo. I will have pizza, and ice cream and pasta. I will just measure it and be aware of it. Not a big deal. I do tend to avoid Ranch dressing and some cheese. Only because its calorie dense and it's the easiest thing to create my deficit with by cutting. But when I really really want some, I have it. That's the only way this is going to work for me. I need to learn to live in the world I already live in and make better decisions. Not completely change my world. That's just how I feel anyway.

But surely you know that people who've struggled with weight in the past will probably always have trigger foods and that it's a work in progress, right?

Well I don't know this is true for everyone either. And I understand avoiding those things in the beginning. But I would hope you could expect to learn along the way and figure out a healthy way to control portions and still have a little. But maybe I am underestimating the power food has over someone who binges. My weight issues came more from very bad choices than bulk. So I can't say that I have a "trigger" food. I didn't mean to offend anyone who does. Just that if you love Ores's for example and want to eat a whole package at a time. I would hope, with time they would learn to enjoy a proper serving without guilt or longing for more. That's all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Well I don't know this is true for everyone either. And I understand avoiding those things in the beginning. But I would hope you could expect to learn along the way and figure out a healthy way to control portions and still have a little. But maybe I am underestimating the power food has over someone who binges. My weight issues came more from very bad choices than bulk. So I can't say that I have a "trigger" food. I didn't mean to offend anyone who does. Just that if you love Ores's for example and want to eat a whole package at a time. I would hope, with time they would learn to enjoy a proper serving without guilt or longing for more. That's all.

I agree with you. Except that IMO people just use the term 'trigger food' when really it comes down to lack of willpower (unless they have an eating disorder, obviously). I mean, I can do moderation 90% of the time now, there'll still be that 10% of the time when I mess up, but that's not because of the food, it's because of ME. But I make up for those instances, and I can't imagine never eating the stuff I love... I mean, it's down to never eating it or learning to eat it in moderation, so you bet I'm going to work on moderation, otherwise, yeah, it would be sad.

IMO.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Not necessary.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I agree with you. Except that IMO people just use the term 'trigger food' when really it comes down to lack of willpower (unless they have an eating disorder, obviously). I mean, I can do moderation 90% of the time now, there'll still be that 10% of the time when I mess up, but that's not because of the food, it's because of ME. But I make up for those instances, and I can't imagine never eating the stuff I love... I mean, it's down to never eating it or learning to eat it in moderation, so you bet I'm going to work on moderation, otherwise, yeah, it would be sad.

IMO.

True. That's what I was trying to say I think. I'm bad at debate of any type haha. I mean maybe I don't understand it. But Spaghetti is my favorite food. I like it with just tomato sauce and pasta so it not that bad in normal portions. Last night I had some. But i weighed my noodles and sauce and knew what I was eating and stopped after. Sure I could have eaten more because i love it but being around it doesn't make me lose my grip. I ate and logged a half an Oreo the other night( my toddler left it behind) and didn't have an overwhelming need to eat 50. Because I have a plan and my plan is more important. But I ate my spaghetti because... well... yum. :) Some things just have to fit once in a while. Food can still be enjoyable and within reason, right? Isn't that the point we need to learn?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    When I think back on what I used to eat many years ago in actually horrified. I was very ignorant of nutrition and calories. I remember some of the stuff I ate wasss:

-Alfredo chicken with linguini
    -Cheese spaghetti tacos
    -Chicken carbonara sandwich at Quiznos
    -burgers with mayo and fries

Looking back on those things makes me terrified to think how many calories I was consuming but it's super interesting to look back on it regardless. It helps me to remember that I don't eat like that and because of that I'll never slip back to my old weight.

Anyone else here remember dishes that was just total excess? Maybe it freaks you out to think back on those dishes because they were so bad?

I have not stopped eating anything. I just eat less of it or at times modify the recipe.

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Didn't cut anything out....but did limit frequency and in some instances portion size...

I will still eat a big burger, have fries with mayo, a bag of chips, rib steak etc...