"Why didn't you eat any _____? Are you on a diet??"

Options

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Note to self: find out how to say "explosive diarrhea" in Korean. :tongue:

Are you an English teacher? Just "stomach ache" seemed to be the general euphemism for bowel issues. Or just say you had a lot of kimchi at lunch. Mmmmmm
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get really annoyed and/or self-conscious when people ask if they're on a diet? I live in South Korea, and asking about dieting isn't really considered rude here, but I feel like any time I decline a snack in the office or take a smaller portion of rice during lunch, I get people interrogating me about my eating habits. I know it's not coming from a bad place, but it really stresses me out!

Honestly, I hate any attention being paid to how much I eat- be it a comment on how little, how much, or really anything. Does anyone else have this same problem? How do you deal with it?
    I hate when people pay any attention to how I eat, too. It makes me nervous. I guess its because I don't always eat "healthy," even when I keep to my calories. It might look weird when I AM eating "healthier" stuff to save calories or when I weigh out chips and candy before stuffing them into my face, or I'm afraid someone might look at me weird if I have a bad eating day, then appear to be trying to weigh food or eat "healthy" later. But I guess those are my reasons, not wanting to be judged or seem pathetic.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    They question your habits because you make them question their own, and it makes them uncomfortable. Misery enjoys company.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    My mother is the worse. Whenever I eat a meal with her, at home or out, she feels the need to very loudly talk about how I'm on a "diet". Her comments include: you better be careful, you're on a diet; that's not diet food; you're gonna gain your weight back if you stop eating your diet food; better enjoy this real food because tomorrow you'll be back on your diet food.

It doesn't matter how many times I explain to her that I'm not on a "diet," but instead my diet consists of eating healthy foods and making better food choices, she just doesn't get it.

Yesterday was a bad day. I went out to lunch with my mother and my sister. I ordered a sandwich that I normally wouldn't order. My mother starts screaming her diet comments. (I've lost half my body weight. I am currently maintaining at 135lbs.) The people at the next table over start talking to each other about how they can't believe on I'm a diet and how skinny I am. To avoid continuing to listening to that convo, I got up to use the restroom and our waitress approached me to tell me how good I look and that I shouldn't be dieting; men don't like skin and bones.

People seriously need to mind their own business.

Poor Erica:( is your mom elderly by any chance?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I guess, I really could care less about comments people make to me about my eating habits. I eat how I eat and that's all there is.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets annoying. It's crazy how word will spread through the office that you're "on a diet" just because someone caught you carrying your gym bag one day, or you turned down pizza one time.

Yeah for some reason I have a reputation for being a "health nut" in my office. I'm pretty sure it's because someone saw me eating a banana one time.

Hahaha what is the deal with that? Like the other day someone was asking where they should eat for lunch, as soon as I start to open my mouth to make a suggestion, they stop me and say, "NO. I don't like health food!"
    Like where did this come from??
    The same day another person asked if I wanted a soda from the vending machine, I said "no thanks", and they replied, "oh right, you don't indulge in unhealthy things, do you?"
    !$&@#

Say no to dessert once and it's never offered again.
    latest?cb=20130206050418
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    ericaconti wrote: »
    My mother is the worse. Whenever I eat a meal with her, at home or out, she feels the need to very loudly talk about how I'm on a "diet". Her comments include: you better be careful, you're on a diet; that's not diet food; you're gonna gain your weight back if you stop eating your diet food; better enjoy this real food because tomorrow you'll be back on your diet food.

It doesn't matter how many times I explain to her that I'm not on a "diet," but instead my diet consists of eating healthy foods and making better food choices, she just doesn't get it.

Yesterday was a bad day. I went out to lunch with my mother and my sister. I ordered a sandwich that I normally wouldn't order. My mother starts screaming her diet comments. (I've lost half my body weight. I am currently maintaining at 135lbs.) The people at the next table over start talking to each other about how they can't believe on I'm a diet and how skinny I am. To avoid continuing to listening to that convo, I got up to use the restroom and our waitress approached me to tell me how good I look and that I shouldn't be dieting; men don't like skin and bones.

People seriously need to mind their own business.

Poor Erica:( is your mom elderly by any chance?

Nope, she's just mean. A couple weeks ago she called me to compliment me on my weight loss by telling she was looking at my wedding pictures and couldn't believe how fat I was back then.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm pretty lucky. I've always had the reputation for eating healthy (even when I was heavier). People have rarely commented on my food choices at work or in social settings. My biggest obstacle is people wanting me to try just a little bit of something they'd made "special". I usually just reply with, "I have some health issues and I can't eat _______ right now, but thank you. It looks delicious!" Then change the subject or ask them a question about themselves. Works every time!
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I tell them that the food in question gives me explosive diarrhea. That usually shuts them up.

Haha! something i would say. Love it, u just brightened my day!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I lived in Japan and lost weight when I moved there, due to a change of going from a western diet to an Asian diet. I was not trying to lose weight . People would ask me am I dieting because they were fascinated . They had never met anyone that had dieted. They'd only heard about it, maybe from movies. They were just curious,but at times it was annoying. They really wanted to know what dieting was. There weren't any fat people where I lived (Shikoku). They also asked me constantly about divorce in the western world, even though they didn't know my personal situation. They assume a lot of things about foreigners. Just smile,and be nice. Since I have been back home in Canada, two of my best friends there did get divorced. Now, I think I know why they were always wanting to know about western male and female relationships. They were very unhappy with their own relationships, but divorce was not accepted at the time.
    I dont think most Koreans really understand dieting. They my just be curious about you. I have Korean family, and I would never discuss losing weight with them. It would make me feel very uncomfortable.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I tell them that the food in question gives me explosive diarrhea. That usually shuts them up.

Awesome answer!
  • nebulasprout
    nebulasprout Posts: 15 Member
    Options

nebulasprout is perhaps the coolest name I've read here yet!

Aww thanks! It goes all the way back to high school, actually. Me and a friend used to joke about being superheroes, and Nebula Sprout became my sidekick name. Nebula because nebulas are cool, and sprout because I'm short. :smiley:

So nice to hear I'm not the only one who feels stressed out when people ask about my food choices! I'm super envious of all you confident people who don't care, though. I guess that's just who I am...a ball of anxiety and stress. -_-
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Random person around the office concerned/commenting about your eating habits = person with no life.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I hate when people comment on/want to discuss what I am eating, so discussions about my eating habits drive me insane (figuratively speaking thank goodness!)

I also hate when people stand over me and watch me eat. I just want to tell them to mind their own food!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    So, when people ask me that question, I just firmly (even abruptly, even rudely if necessary) just say I don't want any. The fact is the reasons don't matter. It could be because I'm counting calories, because I don't like the food, or because I like the food but don't think it's worth the calories (for me, pretty much always the case with sweets, cake, etc). I'm not going into a whole spiel about my thought process around eating it and open it up for discussion, because that sets the precedent you have input on my food choices.

Yeah, I have had this happen too. Even if I tell them I have diabetes AND an eating disorder I hear, "well a little bit won't hurt you!" Well, yes it damned well might, you don't know.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems at work, but my in-laws can be awful about pushing food. I take the portions of the foods I want but they constantly, relentlessly say "but don't you want more? you didn't take any of the ridiculously cheesy potatoes. here, let me get you a bowl of ice cream. you need a glass of wine to go with dinner! you only took 1 roll.... don't you want more?" They also get offended when I decline, and if I say I'm watching what I eat, they say "but you don't need to lose weight."

I don't go over to their house very often anymore, just can't handle it. Hubby goes when they invite us and makes an excuse for me.

Everyone else is extremely supportive when I eat what I want, thankfully!
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My real world people are pretty supportive. My sons (teenage human garbage disposals) will occasionally ask " aren't you going to have any (,pizza, chips, fast food burgers, etc). My answer is always, "no, I'd ratjer eat real food, thanks!". They are learning and are pretty supportive. My 18 year old will say " Hey Mom...there is only (x amount) of sodium in this! You can have some!!"
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    My son used to sometimes bring home extra cookies or a muffin from the food truck at work, and just give them to me as a treat. Now he asks "can you have any of this today?" and doesn't persist if I say no thanks. :smile: My hubby is also much better at not insisting and sometimes asks what I can have, and will even check the calories on the package before offering now!
  • Gurney_Halleck
    Gurney_Halleck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Jesus, dude, be cool" while looking around nervously works here, as it does in most life situations.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I came across these two articles today, which might be helpful for some folks in these situations!

This one is good advice for dealing with criticism or comments on the way you eat and/or exercise.

And this one has suggestions for dealing with "food pushers".