Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What to call a diet that is just based on reduced calories?

nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
"CICO" is often stated when someone advises someone else to reduce calories in order to lose weight. I've seen it called the CICO woe, but that was corrected with statements along the lines of "CICO is not a woe".

What should that way of eating be called, when one is not following or incorporating any other food specific woes (like paleo, LCHF, vegan) in their diet?

If one has just cut calories, is that a SAD reduced calorie diet?

Many around here have improved their diet from SAD; they might want to call it a healthy, balanced, or nutritious calorie reduced diet. The problem being that a LCHF or paleo or vegetarian diet that is well thought out would also be able to use the labels: healthy, balanced or nutritious. It applies to many woes.

Plus there is the problem that some do not view others' diets as nutritious, healthy or balanced, so those terms should not be used.

Dr Jason Fung calls a reduced calorie diet for weight loss as Calorie Reduced (or Reduction) as Primary. Shortened, that is CRaP.... I doubt many would like to claim that is the correct label.

A calorie reduced diet is not IIFYM. That would be more of a "IIFYC" with C=calories.

What I usually see is people calling a reduced calorie diet as CICO. Some people object to that because any diet where you have lost weight, CI<CO is true. It technically applies to all diets, but people using other woes tend to focus more so on specific foods than the underlying CI<CO aspect.

For example, I identify myself as being LCHF, but to lose weight my CO must still be greater than CI. A greater CO is achieved through my food choices more so than focusing on cutting back my calories.

In my mind CICO means people just cut calories (CI) and maybe exercise to increase CO. Those who I would apply the CICO label to, seem to generally not consider how foods and hormones will affect CO like some other woes do (such as LCHF). Doing so might end up being called "majoring in the minors", although other woes don't see it that way.... Which is part of the point - some other woes focus less on CI<CO and more on food choices.

Can CICO be acceptably used as a woe lable? Is there a better label? Is CICO the best one to use? I am looking for a simple label that I can apply to people's eating without resorting to saying Joe's woe or Mary's woe when those people cut calories.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited March 2016
    "Just eating less" is what I'd tell anyone asking me how I lost weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Doesn't need a name. Calling something a "diet" is what got everyone confused in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Counting calories.
    Calorie aware eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2016
    Why does it need to be called anything? Not everything needs a label. CICO isn't a woe...it's just a mathematical equation that is applicable to any WOE or any weight management objective.

When people ask me how I lost weight I just tell them I cut back on calories.
  • nvmomketo
    It is going to be labelled though. It may not need a label, but it's most likely going to be labelled.

I eat a LCHF ketogenic diet. That's simpler to say than: I eat a diet that has removed all added sugar and grains, while limiting or avoiding most high GI fruits and starchy root vegetables, yet still includes all other vegetables, as well as a variety of meats, full fat dairy, eggs and nuts.

Labels are going to be applied. Not giving a preference is like not voting; you can have your say or not. KWIM?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2016
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It is going to be labelled though. It may not need a label, but it's most likely going to be labelled.

I eat a LCHF ketogenic diet. That's simpler to say than: I eat a diet that has removed all added sugar and grains, while limiting or avoiding most high GI fruits and starchy root vegetables, yet still includes all other vegetables, as well as a variety of meats, full fat dairy, eggs and nuts.

Labels are going to be applied. Not giving a preference is like not voting; you can have your say or not. KWIM?

Calorie Counting...pretty simple
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Even though I'm doing more than cutting calories, I just tell people that I've changed the way I eat.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I just call it eating. Less.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    How about "flexible" to set it apart from other diets that have a set of rigid rules regarding the types of foods allowed? That term may set the diet apart without placing value judgement on other types of diet.
  • ninerbuff

Eh, I guess it depends on who you talk to. My clients ask me the first time we converse "what diet should I do?", and my reply is "no diet, just eat less".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Calorie counting and yes, if you don't care about macros then it's not IIFYM.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    We should be able to just call it "counting calories"; but many people associate counting calories with VLCDs and low fat or cutting food groups or only eating donuts... or whatnot. "Eat less, move more" could be appropriate, but you don't have to exercise to lose weight. We could say we are using "myfitnesspal", but there are many similar services about.

I usually say something like "I eat anything I want, but not all the time, and/or not everything at once". Have no shorthand for it.

No wonder this principle is a hard sell :s
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Counting calories.
    Calorie aware eating.

Yes, counting calories.

Obviously not everyone who cuts calories was on the SAD as normally defined, or eats in a way consistent with it. Weird strawman.

Also, when is "woe" going to be over. It's the silliest term.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

My clients ask me the first time we converse "what diet should I do?", and my reply is "no diet, just eat less".

This is what I say when someone asks me how I lost weight or what diet I was on, with a just one more phrase - "I ate less. Seriously. I keep a food log, it really helps."

The typical media places call it Calorie Counting, usually with a negative connotation like it's one step away from a disorder.

I've seen other people call it the No-Diet Diet.

Honestly, I don't know that it will have to be labeled. Diets are usually labeled so they can be sold, and I don't think there will be much opportunity to sell CICO. "Eat less, log your food, buy a $15 food scale at Walmart" is kind of hard to stretch into a book or develop a product line around. I suppose someone could pull it off once, but I doubt it :wink:
  • nvmomketo
    kimny72 wrote: »

My clients ask me the first time we converse "what diet should I do?", and my reply is "no diet, just eat less".

This is what I say when someone asks me how I lost weight or what diet I was on, with a just one more phrase - "I ate less. Seriously. I keep a food log, it really helps."

The typical media places call it Calorie Counting, usually with a negative connotation like it's one step away from a disorder.

Honestly, I don't know that it will have to be labeled. Diets are usually labeled so they can be sold, and I don't think there will be much opportunity to sell CICO. "Eat less, log your food, buy a $15 food scale at Walmart" is kind of hard to stretch into a book or develop a product line around. I suppose someone could pull it off once, but I doubt it :wink:

You could sell it as a kit. The beginner's book comes with spoons and measuring cups and then as the diet advances you move on to the scale. LOL

And you also called it CICO... I think that is such a simple way to think of Calorie Counting. Almost like vLCHF is to my ketogenic diet.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    A calorie controlled diet.

Well at least that's the general term used in commercials...
  • nvmomketo
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Or one could just say I'm On A Diet. Easy enough since no one will ask in real life, because no one really wants to know about the boring details.

True... What to call it at maintenance though? I was vLCHF while losing and now I am still vLCHF, just more of it.
  • ninerbuff
    Or one could just say I'm On A Diet. Easy enough since no one will ask in real life, because no one really wants to know about the boring details.
    I disagree. Go to a Crossfit Box and you'll get details. Ask anyone doing P90x who's a "coach", and I'm sure they'll endorse the "clean eating" diet with a Shakeology shake. And an animal rights activist will surely include they are on a "no meat" diet.
    When people say they are on a "diet", I'm almost sure the next question asked is "what diet?"

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Some do. I normally say I watch what I eat and increased my activity a good bit. You know, eat less, move more.

You typically get pushed to admit what you really did.

I give more information if someone seems really interested in talking about weight loss which most are not.

Sometimes if someone is really pushy in a way I don't think is from personal concern I give a jokey answer like "kickboxing."

IME, although those who ask/are pushy are the most noticeable most people don't care or care about how others eat and are more likely to think it's rude to say anything unless there's a past history of discussing it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

You could sell it as a kit. The beginner's book comes with spoons and measuring cups and then as the diet advances you move on to the scale. LOL

And you also called it CICO... I think that is such a simple way to think of Calorie Counting. Almost like vLCHF is to my ketogenic diet.

Well, I say CICO on here, but I've never tried saying that IRL. I guess Calories In, Calories Out would be another way to say calorie counting.

Hmmm. "Why I'm CICO for Logging: The true story of my weight loss journey". I could make that work. With a cheerful picture of me leaning on the kitchen counter with a basket of fruit on the cover. Now I just have to decide if I will be interviewed first by Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz :tongue: