What was your unhealthy dishes you stopped eating

Options
12346»

Replies

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I've found nothing that I have been unable to fit in.

Frequency may have changed, but nothing has required elimination.

Portion size and frequency changed for me, but yes, if I want to eat it, I do. :)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For me it's less "what" than "how much," "how often" and "in what form." Here's some examples.

I used to eat spoonfuls of white sugar, plain, out of the sugar jar. [i still probably eat a little white sugar when i have ketchup or something, but i don't even own the stuff pure anymore. not necessary for me, and i like brown sugar, honey, molasses, and maple syrup better.]

I used to eat fish and chips (deep fried version). Now i may have a bite of someone else's, but hardly ever because it's a waste of food for me to order it for myself. I eat more than 1/4 of a serving and I feel sick to my stomach, and it doesn't taste good to bring it home. I'm happy w/ a fish taco anyways.

I hardly ever eat hamburger or steak anymore...because I never really liked steak anyway and I prefer buffalo or venison burgers, and I like eating more in a sitting (considering the calories per oz is so much lower in the latter two). I'll still have a bite of my partner's hamburger though. No deprivation.

I used to eat half a block of cheddar cheese melted into a roux poured over rice. Sure, I have mac and cheese now, but now I just find that recipe disgusting. Seriously. WTF, younger me?

I used to drink 6-8 glasses of milk per day, usually 1%. That's 660-880 calories of cold milk alone! I don't drink glasses of milk anymore, partially because I grew out of it I guess. Unless it's in hot cocoa form. Does that count?

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by the calorific value of a glass of fresh fruit juice so I rarely drink that anymore, it's just not tasty or satisfying enough to justify so many calories.

Also Granola and Muesli style cereals, for a reasonable sized bowl the number of calories is pretty darn high and it doesn't fill me up any longer than alternatives with less calories such as Fruit n Fibre or Special K.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    But I really want clarification on cheesy spaghetti tacos. Does. Not. Compute.

Yep I had some strange eating habits! Mom used to make spaghetti With a 1 to 1 ratio of cheese to spaghetti. Add some flavor like onion and then eat it with tortillas.

Yes. Very gross. I think it's perfect use of the word gross :) I don't wish to work that in my diet lol

I will sometimes have leftover spaghetti in a quesadilla. I add cheddar cheese to it. I freaking love them! Or anything heavy on the carbs really. It is definitely only a sometimes food.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I cut out mostly anything with cheese or high in saturated fats.
    Since my main focus besides calories, is staying at 10 or less grams of saturated fat.
    (Today I manage less than 6! I used a little bit of sour cream (2tbsp had 3.5 sat fat - probably used 1 to 1.5 tbsp) but I forgot to log it. I wouldn't go over calories or sat fat so I said whatever lol.)

So no pizza, quesadillas, subs, pasta sauces that are cream or butter base.... very little mayo on anything I usually put it on.

Tomorrow however... Burrito. I am getting one with a friend and my boyfriend. It's so BAD for you... I usually get rice, black and refried beans, ground beef, lettuce, cheese, corn salsa, sour cream. But tomorrow I'm switching to chicken and maybe not get any sour cream.. I will be doing a lot of walking tomorrow I assume, so hopefully the calories will even out for me! I imagine this burrito to be 600-800 calories. (it's bigger than taco bell's quesarito, but way less cheese and wrap, but more filling on the inside for the non-taco bell burrito)
    I'm a little too excited for it to be honest lol.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I cut out mostly anything with cheese or high in saturated fats.
    Since my main focus besides calories, is staying at 10 or less grams of saturated fat.
    (Today I manage less than 6! I used a little bit of sour cream (2tbsp had 3.5 sat fat - probably used 1 to 1.5 tbsp) but I forgot to log it. I wouldn't go over calories or sat fat so I said whatever lol.)

So no pizza, quesadillas, subs, pasta sauces that are cream or butter base.... very little mayo on anything I usually put it on.

Tomorrow however... Burrito. I am getting one with a friend and my boyfriend. It's so BAD for you... I usually get rice, black and refried beans, ground beef, lettuce, cheese, corn salsa, sour cream. But tomorrow I'm switching to chicken and maybe not get any sour cream.. I will be doing a lot of walking tomorrow I assume, so hopefully the calories will even out for me! I imagine this burrito to be 600-800 calories. (it's bigger than taco bell's quesarito, but way less cheese and wrap, but more filling on the inside for the non-taco bell burrito)
    I'm a little too excited for it to be honest lol.

The burrito sounds amazing! Why do you think it is bad for you? Because of the calories?

• Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options

The burrito sounds amazing! Why do you think it is bad for you? Because of the calories?

Yes! Wraps are high in calories (and carbs) and it's a good sized wrap. (it's fresh pressed too, it's perfect lol!) then all the added toppings + rice! I mean, I don't think my toppings are bad. Corn salsa has corn and onion and that's it from what I can see. Lettuce isn't bad.. Sour Cream and Cheese are pretty meh. Especially since I'm watching my saturated fat content! I wouldn't call the burrito health food at all lol.

Definitely can't wait till tomorrow for it hahaha.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yes! Wraps are high in calories (and carbs) and it's a good sized wrap. (it's fresh pressed too, it's perfect lol!) then all the added toppings + rice! I mean, I don't think my toppings are bad. Corn salsa has corn and onion and that's it from what I can see. Lettuce isn't bad.. Sour Cream and Cheese are pretty meh. Especially since I'm watching my saturated fat content! I wouldn't call the burrito health food at all lol.

Definitely can't wait till tomorrow for it hahaha.

Do they offer it as a bowl instead of in the tortilla? If carbs are a concern that would help you save some, plus calories too.

I don't think the calories sound bad, personally, but it depends how many you have to work with. I eat at Qdoba about once a week and the burrito bowl I get is 715 cals.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Cookies, Cake, and candy.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't bad for you. Just sayin'.
  • dmundz
    dmundz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pizza, and soda!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I try and fit most everything in. There are a couple things I can't justify fitting in-
    Pancakes, so many calories for so little and not filling, plus I never really liked pancakes
    Mac and cheese, even more calories for a even smaller serving size and not even the slightest bit filling.

I hate it when I have a pancake craving. It just never fills me up and I always end up at maintenance or over that day... every. single. time. So frustrating (that's when I have the real thing though, kodiak cakes fit just fine as long as I don't go nuts on the toppings, but they won't satisfy a real pancake craving).

I'm with you about mac and cheese... it's one of those things I can't justify more than a couple bites from my kids' plate when they order it at restaurants.

To be fair, I grew up in France and did just fine for 23 years without either of those, lol!

@Francl27 oh how i envy your 23 years of amazing bread and pastries. When I was there i just wanted to eat didnt care to much about sight seeing after eating ha.
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I carefully planned for a pizza dinner last week, and enjoyed every bite. I was SO SICK the next day, I think because of all the cheese. I can't believe that not that long ago I would eat the entire thing (and suffer the heartburn). I also won't eat the Quarter Pounder value meal at McDonald's anymore because I found that I am just as satisfied with the cheeseburger Happy Meal, and I can easily fit those calories into my day.

• Lowell_H
    Lowell_H Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    When I think back on what I used to eat many years ago in actually horrified. I was very ignorant of nutrition and calories. I remember some of the stuff I ate wasss:

-Alfredo chicken with linguini
    -Cheese spaghetti tacos
    -Chicken carbonara sandwich at Quiznos
    -burgers with mayo and fries

Looking back on those things makes me terrified to think how many calories I was consuming but it's super interesting to look back on it regardless. It helps me to remember that I don't eat like that and because of that I'll never slip back to my old weight.

Anyone else here remember dishes that was just total excess? Maybe it freaks you out to think back on those dishes because they were so bad?

I like what you're saying, and everyone gets it...A question like this, though, is like pushing the "holier-than-thou" button. You know those people who came here because they were already fit, ate well, and had no issues....They ust decided it might be fun to For me it was cheese quesadillas, with extra queso..on white flour tortillas

• miko482
    miko482 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like cooking, so I guess that makes things a bit easier. I've been working on modifying recipes to make them lower calorie and for the most part, it's been a fun challenge. Living on a strict budget with limited grocery shopping options can occasionally be frustrating though. Some days I'll go over my net calories, and that's okay. I average out in the week total, have been consistently losing, and I don't feel like I should have to cut anything out. For some foods, I know that I'll just have to earn it through exercise, and monitor my portion sizes closely. I also get that the same system doesn't work for everyone.

I've learned that I work very well under a positive reinforcement system.
  • bab5girl
    bab5girl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mostly I haven't cut anything out completely. One exception is poutine. I've stolen one or two fries from my kid's plate maybe three times in the past three years, but haven't had a whole serving once.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I cut out foods and drinks with added sugars and foods made from grains. I have subborn insulin resistance which did not respond to weight loss and autoimmune issues that are improved without those foods so my circumstances are not typical.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me it was mostly fast food and restaurant food (Mexican, Italian, fried seafood mostly) that made me fat. Just one simple meal out in a restaurant can use up all the calories in any given day and if you add your other meals you have eaten at home then bam! You are overeating all the time and don't even realize it. I also had to cut out pizza. I will let myself have a slice here and there but not several times a week like before and I no longer eat 2-3 slices at a time with a side dish.