Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    wectmall wrote: »
    thanks for the advice guys. And with the air popped popcorn calorie total----I hope you all are right, but according to my scale----minus the bowl weight, I was getting between 477 and 550 calories each time. I used presto popper that you put kernels in and then pop in the microwave----with nothing but popcorn kernels. The container fills to the brim----popping the lid off and then I transfer it into a plastic bowl. Does anyone use one of these? Do you make the full size container and if so how many calories is it?

I think you may be selecting the wrong entry in the database on the popcorn or measuring wrong.
    Air popped popcorn should be about 93 calories for 3 cups or 24 grams popped. 477 or 550 would be for over 15 cups of popped popcorn or 124 to 142 grams of popped popcorn. I don't think that microwave popper bowl is big enough to hold that much popped popcorn even full. The claim on the product I saw on Amazon is that the presto microwave popper makes up to 3 quarts of popcorn which is 12 cups so an entirely full thing should be more like 372 calories. Is the popcorn super tightly packed or does it still move a bit when the popper is full? Are you measuring the kernels before you pop? The instructions I saw said to use 1/3 c kernels in the popper and that should pop up to about 3 cups not 15 cups.

To the original question... I don't know what food you have. I often have a piece of fruit, baby carrots, celery, broccoli, popcorn, or about 113 g of yogurt for an evening snack.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i think that is what causes us to under estimate our calories. we think a cup is a lot more than it actually is

I guess im confused. Are you weighing the kernels before popping or after?

If youre making 15 cups of popped popcorn, thats a lot of popcorn. A normal bag of popcorn (that a family shares for movie night for example) is 10 cups. So 15 cups is 1.5 times that.
  • wectmall
    wectmall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am weighing the popcorn after it's popped. Yes, the popper makes 12 cups, but the lid comes off
    I have a large microwave---and many more popped kernels overflow out. At least 3 more cups are made and land around the popper in the microwave. I scoop the entire contents and have 15 cups plus some which when weighed comes out to 477 calories or 522----or somewhere in between. Try it! It would surprise you. But rest assured, 15 cups times 31 calories equals 450 calories. So therefore, when I am weighing the popped corn in a bowl, less the bowl weight it comes out to between 477 and 522 calories. When we use an air popper that rests on the counter it makes more than this. Hopefully people are weighing their popcorn! I was surprised when I saw the caloric value but after weighing it and owning a presto popper and air popper for over 10 years, I at least was certain of the calories.
  • wectmall
    Options
    And thanks to everyone who responded! I learned not to eat too many of my calories early in the day! But I was abnormally hungry today, so I just ate to satiate my hunger----I did not cheat. I had boneless skinless chicken, veggies, a protein shake a big salad and a good bit of fruit for breakfast. Oh well, live and learn. Tomorrow is a new day! And I guess I also learned I eat a lot more popcorn than others! 3/4 of a large bowl all to myself! Good thing I recognized that 15 plus cups of popcorn was 477 calories. Or I really would've miscalculated, lol! Everyone have a good day and keep fit!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Try about 1/2-1 ounce of peanuts, a banana or some yogurt.
  • wectmall
    Options
    which yogurt do you find to be this most satisfying for the calories?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    And thanks to everyone who responded! I learned not to eat too many of my calories early in the day! But I was abnormally hungry today, so I just ate to satiate my hunger----I did not cheat. I had boneless skinless chicken, veggies, a protein shake a big salad and a good bit of fruit for breakfast. Oh well, live and learn. Tomorrow is a new day! And I guess I also learned I eat a lot more popcorn than others! 3/4 of a large bowl all to myself! Good thing I recognized that 15 plus cups of popcorn was 477 calories. Or I really would've miscalculated, lol! Everyone have a good day and keep fit!

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I eat at maintenance for a few days. See http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters#latest
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Go for a miso soup with lots of non-starchy veg and some hot sauce. Hot water (broth) fills you up for almost nothing and then the veg give you something to chew on. Pop that celery in there!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Drink a few liters of unsweetened or diet tea
  • firstlay_d
    firstlay_d Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks! when I make airpopped popcorn, I weigh it and half a bowl always comes out to be like 477 calories with nothing on it! I love it and do it here and there, but that eats up a good portion of my 1200 calories for the day. It's only 1;20 pm here, so I guess I will go with celery. Unless there is a lower calorie high volume food that I am forgetting about. I am trying to lose, so 1200 calories is what is set for me to lose .5 lb per week.

A half bowl of popcorn is 477 calories? What kind of popcorn is that?? The popcorn I eat is 90 calories for the whole bag
  • wectmall
    Options
    Yes, I am premenstrual! Oh well........I am off to bed! I made it by eating whole radishes, which I LOVE!!! They were filling and hardly any calories! I really am motivated to win this weight loss game!
  • wectmall
    Options
    LOL!! I didn't mean to start the popcorn wars on my post about filling low cal foods! Either way, y'all have been very helpful!