Supporting spouse in diet

Options
Finally, my husband, who is significantly overweight (actually in the obese category) has agreed to try an eating plan that will help him to take the weight off. It's one I posted about a while back, David Ludwig's [iAlways Hungry[/i]. Ludwig's theory is that many people who are overweight are constantly hungry because they have been overfeeding on processed carbs (partly as a result of the food industry and old food guidelines pushing the 5-12 servings of grain/carbs a day), and they just crave more. also, by giving up "high fat" food, people are consuming calories that aren't satiating, and so are never satisfied. Anyway, my husband read the book with me, and he pretty much fits the profile of the type of person Ludwig's writing about -- overweight, Type II diabetes, belly fat, etc. The first 2 weeks of Ludwig's program involves no grains of any type and no white potatoes. The only carbs are from fruit, dairy, and beans. Also, all dairy products, salad dressings, etc. are full fat to promote satiety. I've done the shopping for the plan and plan to go along with my spouse when we have meals together at home. (Whole grains are allowed later in Phase II, after week 3 or 4). However, I'm not overweight myself (maintaining at 120) and have been doing fine just eating nutritiously and tracking. Hubs feels that even when he's not around, I should also follow the Ludwig plan to be in "solidarity" with him. But often, a sandwich (which is a no-no on the Ludwig plan) is more convenient for me due to my work schedule (say if I have lots of student conferences back-to-back). Also, my adult sons live with us, and 2-3 nights out of the week, my husband doesn't even come home for dinner due to work meetings, community board meetings, etc., so my sons and I will eat what we enjoy. In any case, hub says he will feel bad to know that I may be eating bread or pasta when he isn't able to eat that himself. Am I being unsupportive of my spouse by not following this plan at all times, even when he's not around?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    He's being unreasonable IMO. Maybe looking for excuses to quit. That said, I can see no reason to stop eating carbs completely; cutting down (cutting calories all over, but most on carbs) ususally does the trick.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    The diet doesn't cut carbs completely, just grain-based carbs, starchy vegetables like potatoes, and high glycemic index fruits like bananas and mangos for the first two weeks. All other fruits, dairy, and beans are allowed. I guess the purpose is to cut cravings and reduce insulin resistance. In the second phase, whole grain carbs are allowed, but in very moderate amounts (no more than 3 small servings a day). As I said, my husband is diabetic, so for him it may be necessary to reduce carbs, and perhaps this might also be reducing calories since it is taking a way a food group that is a trigger for him. I guess the other thing I should mention is that he has no interest in tracking or calorie counting, so this might work for him.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's lining up the excuses to not do it... There's no reason that anyone else should eat in the same way he does when HE is the one who needs to lose weight...
  • rosebette
    Options
    One thing he suggests is that I stick with this program as an experiment and see if I can lose that "last five pounds."
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that is just not fair to you and the boys. I eat high fat low carb for a number of reasons, and I would not subject my husband who lives for carbs and is in a healthy weight range to my diet.

Just the other day I told him I was making coconut flour tortillas to try with the burrito filling I made, the look on his face was priceless because I typically made fresh home made flour tortillas before I started really cutting back carbs. I just laughed and said don't worry, you are still getting fresh flour tortillas.

I also made chicken pesto pasta salad for him for lunches last week, mine had zucchini noodles his had penne pasta.

Not only does he continue to eat all the foods I love and enjoy right in front of me, I cook them for him. Ultimately your husband has to come to accept that he has to be responsible for himself and that what he chooses to eat is for him to be happy and healthy and what you eat has very little to do with it.

Can you support him by cooking one meal while he is there, sure, can you not bring foods he can't eat into the house to avoid temptation, yes, and I think those are nice things to do if he needs support, but if you want to eat something outside the plan while he is not there I can't see why that should be an issue.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Was the plan his idea? If yes, it is up to him to follow it or not. If it was something someone else siggested, then it sounds like it is nto for him
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What does he do around other people who are eating sammiches? Tell them to get with his program?

I understand needing support from a spouse. I've asked my hubby to help me, but I never asked him to change how he eats in order for me to stay on program. I'm with PP and he's looking for reasons to quit.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd tell him to keep his eyes on his own plate and worry about himself. You've done all the shopping, handed him the book, and are eating all shared meals on the plan. He's not just looking for excuses to quit, he's looking to blame you for his decision to quit when he does because you weren't in "solidarity" with him. Honestly I'd start thinking about an exit plan. He doesn't sound like a good partner or parent if he's going to blame his obesity on you and your children.
  • rosebette
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd tell him to keep his eyes on his own plate and worry about himself. You've done all the shopping, handed him the book, and are eating all shared meals on the plan. He's not just looking for excuses to quit, he's looking to blame you for his decision to quit when he does because you weren't in "solidarity" with him. Honestly I'd start thinking about an exit plan. He doesn't sound like a good partner or parent if he's going to blame his obesity on you and your children.

I've been with this guy 32 years and my sons are in their early 20s, and he has never blamed his weight on me or the kids. He is aware of his own history and genetics (diabetes and overeweight are in his family background). Granted, he may be looking for a way to excuse a failure to stick to plan, but he's not "blaming me." To advocate someone end a long term relationship over this is a bit extreme.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What did he eat while you were losing weight?
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yesterday my wife told me she was going out for about an hour.... we usually spend saturday afternoon together.. this was about an hour after she told me she was tired and didn't feel like doing anything... a couple of hours later she comes home ,and sheepishly tells me she went to yo fresh for a yogurt.. i ask her why she didn't tell me... she didn't want to tempt me.... i told her this is my battle not hers and not to worry... i am not tempted and if i was, i would have one and fit it into my calorie log for the day. i keep reassuring her that i am not going back to my old ways....dropped 45 lbs so far,,, Sorry but this is his battle not yours... he needs to accept this ... you are there to cheer him on .. i do all the cooking for the family(i'm a better cook) i still make rice and pottos and pasta for the family.. i will not deny my family what they want to eat based on what i am eating or not eating... this is my journey not their's .it would be selfish of me to do otherwise
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If it is you that is wanting him to try the diet, then you should probably walk the walk and do it with him... If he is doing it on his own impetus, then he shouldn't try to pull you into doing it with him.

I would not, for example, encourage someone to go to the gym for health and then just pat them on the head and send them there alone... but nor would I decide to go the gym on my own steam and then try to force everyone in my household to go along with me...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Did you participate in convincing your husband to try this elimination diet? If he's missing foods he likes that badly, you may wish to consider a plan that contains food he likes. Calorie restriction in and of itself generally should reduce carb intake, if that's the goal. Unless, of course the plan is a doctor ordered one.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he wants someone to "feel the pain with him" and if you were the one to convince him to try it, then it might be nice for you to stick it out with him. It won't kill you to follow it for a few months.

In the other hand, what you do when he's not around is none of his business and maybe you should I act a don't ask, don't tell policy. Many years ago I followed a strict diet and exercise plan in 'solidarity' with my husband even though I was at my ideal weight. The second time around, I ate what I wanted when I wasn't around him. I will say him knowing that did cause him to lose some motivation. I'm trying to lose a little BF now, and in no way expect him or the kids to eat like me all the time.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he's not fully comprehended that he has to want to lose weight. You can have all the meals prepped in the world, but if you are not completely committed to your goal, it can be incredibly difficult to stay on track especially if like me he has a history of stress eating or sugar cravings. Personally I would stick to the same meal plan for the first 3-4 weeks and once he starts to see some progress, you may be able to relax more on your end as he becomes more dedicated. Good luck with everything! :)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Maybe this particular diet isn't for him. Has he tried the whole tracking and logging mfp way? If he has had certain eating habits for many years, cutting foods he loves cold turkey might not work for him. There are many success stories here of people who eat foods they love, just a whole lot less, and lose weight.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    Maybe this particular diet isn't for him. Has he tried the whole tracking and logging mfp way? If he has had certain eating habits for many years, cutting foods he loves cold turkey might not work for him. There are many success stories here of people who eat foods they love, just a whole lot less, and lose weight.

She already said he didn't want to bother with CICO.
  • rosebette
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »

When at home he ate what I ate but in larger portions. However I still ate carbs and grains and am maintaining eating them. I just measure and track portions whereas if he eats a bowl of cereal he'll fill the bowl to overflowing and want more. I don't have that extreme hunger or craving he has. I would have healthy meals at night and he ate them. This program is supposed to reduce cravings. By the way his doctor wants him to be on some kind of plan to lose and to make some progress by his next visit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    64crayons wrote: »

When at home he ate what I ate but in larger portions. However I still ate carbs and grains and am maintaining eating them. I just measure and track portions whereas if he eats a bowl of cereal he'll fill the bowl to overflowing and want more. I don't have that extreme hunger or craving he has. I would have healthy meals at night and he ate them. This program is supposed to reduce cravings. By the way his doctor wants him to be on some kind of plan to lose and to make some progress by his next visit.

I think you need to have a chat with your husband. Only he can do this. Yes you can support him, of course you would you're his wife, but that doesn't mean that the success of his eating plan is balancing on whether you take part or not.

Doesn't sound like he's grasping the seriousness of his condition if he's not willing to do it alone?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Did you participate in convincing your husband to try this elimination diet? If he's missing foods he likes that badly, you may wish to consider a plan that contains food he likes. Calorie restriction in and of itself generally should reduce carb intake, if that's the goal. Unless, of course the plan is a doctor ordered one.

I agree here. It sounds like he's really not that excited about this particular plan. He would be more likely to stick with something that lets him enjoy his food. What does he want to do? What does he want to eat? Can he not just take smaller portions and increase volume with veggies? Calorie counting is a tool, but there are many people who are successful without it. I agree that it seems he's looking for excuses already, which suggests he's really not that interested in this plan.

As for the 'just break up.' :huh: :noway: :laugh: