Interment or cremation- what's your preference. Oh and Happy Easter!

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
edited March 2016 in Chit-Chat
My mom is turning 90 in a little over a week, but I know that her time is day to day. She's already got prearranged interment, so my family doesn't have to decide.
But I had to think for myself about what I prefer.
So for me, it's cremation. It's much more affordable, and getting put in an urn and toted wherever my family wants to put my remains is up to them. Set me on the mantle, toss ashes into the sea, whatever.
My belief is that once you're gone.................you're gone. And there really is no need to created a space or have my kid and wife (if she doesn't go before me) uptake a VERY EXPENSIVE funeral and interment.
That's money they should use to survive and carry on, not spend on some memorial that just collects dust. I believe if you've impacted someone's life, you'll always be in their thoughts.

Discuss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same. Once I'm dead, I'm dead. Whatever will help my son the most and provide him some comfort is what I would want.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cremation. With my ashes scattered in Hawaii.
    Burying people seems strange to me...all those bugs! Lol
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I already have plans to be cremated. It makes no sense to me to be buried. Not only is it incredibly expensive, but it's an enormous waste of land space.

As far as what to do with the ashes afterwards, I really don't care. I'm not even going to spend anything on an urn. Scatter my ashes over an icy walk - whatever, I don't care. It's just a body. After I'm dead It means nothing.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cremate or just throw in the Mississippi river or leave in the woods. Makes me no nevermind.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Cremation
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be the root ball of a fruit-bearing tree. I think they cremate for that.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I've never thought of it really. My aunt recently was buried because she believed she will be resurrected one day and the minister at the funeral told us how she was already frolicking in paradise in maybe not her body but a body...if that's the case then I'm all for that if I get a REALLY hot body.

But since I don't really believe that all to be true I figure I'll be cremated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    My mom wants the most eco-friendly/green possible option, which right now she sees as internment. She's mentioned a pine box; I'll have to tell her about the Green Burial Council-certified biodegradable cedar caskets and green cremation (which is not yet available in our state.)

If I'm cremated, I can be buried in her plot, so that's an option for now.

When my dad passed away, it was really nice that his plot had already been purchased.

• momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm donating. And whatever else is left will be cremated and buried. I'm also having the second movement of the New World Symphony played at my funeral. It was played at my aunt's and my grandfather's funerals and I want to continue the tradition. Seeing as how my great-grandparents were immigrants starting a new life in America, it only seems fitting.

The second movement starts at 12:07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNoPqYAIPI
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Cremation for me. Ashes can be handled any way my kids see fit. I don't even want a memorial service - what's the point of everyone sitting around, being sad, when they can have a small get-together/dinner and talk about the happy things they remember? My kids have always known that I love to laugh, and they know that I would want them to laugh too.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both want to be cremated which as @newmeadow mentioned is against my Jewish background, but since my tattoos supposedly keep me from being buried in a Jewish cemetery I'm not very concerned.
  • momo_t90
    Options
    Schlackity wrote: »
    Cremation for me. Ashes can be handled any way my kids see fit. I don't even want a memorial service - what's the point of everyone sitting around, being sad, when they can have a small get-together/dinner and talk about the happy things they remember? My kids have always known that I love to laugh, and they know that I would want them to laugh too.

For my grandfather's memorial service there were a couple of speakers that talked about his contribution to the world and the great things about him. Then afterwards we had a family dinner. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Schlackity wrote: »

My father's service was unusually political. He'd worked for a union as a labor mediator for 30+ years and was active in local politics. A lot of people spoke. There were Caesar Chavez anecdotes, etc. The minister was the daughter of old friends of his and so knew him personally. This is a nice touch.

It was the most enjoyable service I've ever been to. I'm just sad he's not around for this political cycle. Oh, the things he would have had to say!
  • momo_t90
    Options
    I guess my point is, even though I was crying at the time, I didn't see his memorial service as a sad occasion but rather a celebration of his life.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    As of now, the VA's going to cremate me and intern me for free in a military cemetery. As long as there's a US government, the grounds will be maintained.
    I've been to too many abandoned cemeteries; they sadden me. I'd also prefer not to have my kids eat that expense. If they want to spend money in my memory, they can buy a park bench or something.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Harvest my organs and donate what's left to science.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    As of now, the VA's going to cremate me and intern me for free in a military cemetery. As long as there's a US government, the grounds will be maintained.
    I've been to too many abandoned cemeteries; they sadden me. I'd also prefer not to have my kids eat that expense. If they want to spend money in my memory, they can buy a park bench or something.
    This is true. When my grandmother passed away back in '84, I visited everyday for about a month. Since then, I've gone about 4 times. Not because she wasn't important to, but because going there is pretty inconvenient. I visit my mom and dad every couple of weeks or so and there's a portrait of her right in the hallway that I see every time I'm there. That's how I remember her. Not buried in some casket.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Buddhists and Hindus are almost always cremated.
    I have in laws who are Buddhists. They get buried and the head faces the setting sun. I went to a funeral for the first time with a Buddhist ritual about 3 months ago. Very interesting on some of the rituals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    cremation. no viewings. It's totally creepy. I don't want anyone touching me when I'm dead. Plus, my pop pop used to always make us kiss the corpse goodbye when we were little. I'm scarred for life from that.

I went to a Jewish funeral a couple of years ago. I'm not Jewish but the it was very beautiful and I like their concept of sitting Shiva. Although, jews don't cremate.
  • TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It depends upon how I die. I believe that all murder victims, should be buried (in poor countries) & frozen (in wealthy countries); to preserve physical evidence/for possible future exhumation & then 1 of the options below, after a potential suspect; would be thought to have already died themselves. Cremation should only be to prevent contagious illnesses, from spreading to the living; otherwise it's a waste of resources. The rest should be donated to science, unless there isn't a demand; for the supply. For the surplus that science doesn't take, they should be recycled by becoming food; for scavenging animals. Since we are overpopulated, land has to be reserved; for the use of the living instead of the dead.