Cheat days. Are they helpful?

Options
I had a friend of mine the other day say that they can be helpful for weight loss.

I don't see the point... I could see it if I was starving myself so that my body didn't go into starvation mode and start storing fat, but if I'm eating enough to lose ~2 pounds a week, is a cheat day really worth it?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's up to you. I tend to have a day every week where I eat above maintenance. I'm really careful about meticulous logging on all the other days, though - and I do log my food even when I go over. It hasn't affected my weight loss. I think the best thing about it for me is that I can have a special food I wouldn't eat otherwise. I don't usually have desserts during the week unless it's a piece of fruit, so planning to have (for instance) a huge bowl of ice cream gives me a little break from the routine.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing there's no such thing as "starvation mode."

But a whole cheat day can potentially derail weight loss, especially once you get closer to your goal. If you think of your calorie intake on a weekly basis, that one day can throw it all off.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It just really all depends on you. For some, it doesn't help because it can lead into a downside of overeating. In other words, they have a hard time getting right back to it after a day off. For others (like me) it actually helped me. I have been maintaining for a couple years now, but while I was losing, I would have an occasional day where I would eat whatever I wanted. It helped control my cravings and I would usually do them on special occasions. Birthday, holidays and stuff.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Totally keeps motivation up and gives you something to look forward to
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you're not careful, a cheat DAY can kill your progress for the week. A cheat MEAL makes more sense if you're trying to lose weight. But really, you should figure out a way that you can fit the foods you want to eat on your 'cheats' into your daily calorie allowances. That would be a more sustainable way to eat.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the weekly cheat day that some people have. I will allow myself to have special days where I will allow myself to go above my planned calories, but I try to plan for those and save a few calories other days of the week. I don't like to think of it as cheating, because this is how I plan on eating for the rest of my life and how do I cheat on a lifestyle? It is just a part of my lifestyle.
  • michaeyayyyy
    michaeyayyyy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are not worthy
  • pickyreverb
    pickyreverb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depends. I see people on my Instagram having a "cheat day" involving a pint of ice cream, 3 chocolate bars, a bag of chips, and a night on the couch. This can totally derail all of your progress.

However, a day where you're a little more lax about portion sizes but are still getting in proper nutrition, and maybe eating one small treat you wouldn't normally have can help avoid metabolism plateaus and can help you stay on track all week. For example, I was really craving a frappuccino earlier in the week, but to keep myself from caving, I told myself I could have one on Sunday. And by Sunday I didn't really want all the things I said I could have, I just had one treat.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd call it a cheat day but I do WW and they allow extra weekly points in addition to the daily points I can eat from. I occasionally dip in to those extra weekly points on weekends when I might go out to eat, but not often. I tend to have no weight loss when I eat over my daily allotted amount.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Cheat days tend to completely derail me. They just make me want more, more, more. I fit in splurge snacks or meals by getting more exercise. I cycle, so it's pretty easy and fun to burn off a slice of cheesecake in an hour.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to "earn" the extra calories by doing more exercise. I'm a hiker, so when I'm out for a 10+ mile hike I get more extra calories than I can actually eat! If you have a special event coming up, try to increase your exercise for a few days ahead. Maybe that will balance out the weekly totals and not mess up your weight loss. Another thing I've noticed for myself: I have a few trigger foods that I really need to stay away from - mostly they aren't healthy anyway (sweets, potato chips, etc.) If I start on any of those, I will eat them until they are gone! Sigh....
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, avoid.

If you don't have a lot of weight to lose, have a cheat meal at a reasonable frequency depending on body fat levels.

If you want to have treats, fit a moderate amount into your daily calories.
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It depends! I am within the mindset of "Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog." BUT, at the same time, I'm able to maintain enough self control to go a little over one day on a weekend, and get right back to the routine during the week. It helps keep me a little bit sane. I don't feel like I'm denying myself food during the week, but a little treat once in a while is fun for me, but it's not for everyone. Do what's best for you!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My birthday is coming up on Friday, and my brothers are taking me to a baseball game, like we do every year. I plan on upping my workouts and banking some calories because I know I will be eating and drinking like crap. (The Dbacks have some awesome food at Chase Field. The Pit Viper Sandwich, look it up). I probably won't log my food on that day, but it will be worth it. :)

If I know I have a day like this coming up, I will bank cals and work out a little more, but I don't make a habit of these days. Otherwise its just a cycle of eating you get sucked into, and if one part of the cycle gets out of whack (for instance, no extra exercise or cals banked), the whole system comes apart.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No, I find it just encourages binging. Incorporating certain foods and drinks in moderation works better for me than having a designated cheat meal or cheat day.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm more supportive of a cheat meal that still puts your daily allowance somewhere near your maintenance calories once a week. A cheat day can undo an entire week's deficit quite quickly.
  • mohamedmutal
    mohamedmutal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are not worthy

Cheat meal better, cheat day can be problematic.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've been watching a number of my MFP friends post gains this morning because of a cheat day that wound up lasting all weekend. Allegedly it works for some people, you have to decide if you are one of those people.

My thoughts are that I'm never going to learn this as a lifestyle change if I have a "free for all" day. Instead, I try to plan and incorporate things I love into my daily calories. I've had ice cream, filet mignon, red wine, dined out often and haven't gone over. To me, that's the only strategy I see moving forward for the rest of my life. Treat days, not cheat days.

Are you trying to lose weight, or are you trying to lose keep weight off your entire life? My thin and fit friends do what I'm doing. Maybe a cheat day or cheat meal can work for you. I suggest you think it through, and not when you're hungry.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day.

It's not cheating if you make it fit into your goals. Bank calories throughout the week and then eat them on the weekends.