Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

Nothing says natural like grabbing the nipples of another species and yanking for all its worth in hopes you'll a liquid that you'll be able to pound it into a amorpheous solid food stuff that can withstand shipping across the country in a vehicle that is filled with pressurized coolant to create a temperature cooler than ambient. That's my idea of natural for sure.

For productivity's sake, can we use the term synthetic chemicals to denote the lab concept or kemikillz? I'm cool with either, though the later will give me more of a chuckle.

I get my Raw unpasteurized milk from a local farm that treats its animals humanely. My milk comes in glass, because BPA's, and I've taken to making my own butter which is stable at room temperature. But you know everything.

And just in case anyone wants to criticize my consumption of world dairy products, that is a personal decision and I don't need your input. My family can say is organic pasteurized milk so no worries there.

Funny that you'd bring up raw milk. Raw unpasteurized milk is pretty bad for you. About 150 times higher incidence rate of food related outbreaks because of it than treated milk.

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/nonpasteurized-outbreaks.html

But "natural" is so much better for you mhmm.

In my n=5, we had raw unpasteurized goat's milk for 14 years without it making us sick.

(I'm not arguing against pasteurization in large scale dairy operations.)

I've known thousands of people that have never been attacked by tigers, and they all wore pants. Clearly tigers never attack those who wear pants. N=1000+.

I'm suddenly very nervous...

+1

It could also be knowing me, so you guys might be safe.

YouTube has videos of people in pants being attacked by tigers, so it could be you. I'm not sure if these forums = "knowing" so I'm just going to try and avoid tigers.

I'm going with knowing as in anyone that has enough contact with me that they could tell me if a tiger ever attacked them. To date, I've had 0 people tell they've been attacked by a tiger.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

Nothing says natural like grabbing the nipples of another species and yanking for all its worth in hopes you'll a liquid that you'll be able to pound it into a amorpheous solid food stuff that can withstand shipping across the country in a vehicle that is filled with pressurized coolant to create a temperature cooler than ambient. That's my idea of natural for sure.

For productivity's sake, can we use the term synthetic chemicals to denote the lab concept or kemikillz? I'm cool with either, though the later will give me more of a chuckle.

I get my Raw unpasteurized milk from a local farm that treats its animals humanely. My milk comes in glass, because BPA's, and I've taken to making my own butter which is stable at room temperature. But you know everything.

And just in case anyone wants to criticize my consumption of world dairy products, that is a personal decision and I don't need your input. My family can say is organic pasteurized milk so no worries there.

Funny that you'd bring up raw milk. Raw unpasteurized milk is pretty bad for you. About 150 times higher incidence rate of food related outbreaks because of it than treated milk.

In my n=5, we had raw unpasteurized goat's milk for 14 years without it making us sick.

I've known thousands of people that have never been attacked by tigers, and they all wore pants. Clearly tigers never attack those who wear pants. N=1000+.

+1

YouTube has videos of people in pants being attacked by tigers, so it could be you. I'm not sure if these forums = "knowing" so I'm just going to try and avoid tigers.

I'm going with knowing as in anyone that has enough contact with me that they could tell me if a tiger ever attacked them. To date, I've had 0 people tell they've been attacked by a tiger.

Could tell you, or would tell you? If not asked, I wonder how many would volunteer the information.
  • senecarr
    Options

+1

Could tell you, or would tell you? If not asked, I wonder how many would volunteer the information.
    Actually I threaten anyone who hides tiger attack information from me with the threat of releasing tigers on them. So I believe so far they've been honest in their non-confession of tiger attacks.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

+1

Actually I threaten anyone who hides tiger attack information from me with the threat of releasing tigers on them. So I believe so far they've been honest in their non-confession of tiger attacks.

I admit nothing! Is that the correct answer?

Also, margarine, because I can't spray butter on popcorn.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

+1

Interesting tactic, though I would need to see some data on whether threats tend to skew answers. And it would be interesting to know how many were wearing pants at the time the question was asked.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I hated margarine even before I started working at Cinnabon, but I think I hate it even more now that I have to look at bricks of it every time I have my shift.

I love the organic unsalted butter from Costco. I also love making my own.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer butter. I have never had a margarine that tastes anything remotely like real butter. But I use butter very sparingly.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

+1

Interesting tactic, though I would need to see some data on whether threats tend to skew answers. And it would be interesting to know how many were wearing pants at the time the question was asked.

I don't know if this really helps, but when I heard of the threat of tiger attacks, I peed my pants and have been pantless since. So far, I have not been attacked by a tiger.

OP, I use margarine.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Definitely butter. When I studied nutrition in college our professor told us that the body does not digest margarine efficiently because it is artificial. Butter bring an all natural food it is used and digested efficiently. The molecules and chains in margarine end up clogging arteries. Plus butter is good for the body. We need fat. With the reduction of eating fat in our country we are now seeing an alarming increase in obesity.
    Refined carbohydrates plays havoc with our systems. Recent studies have found concerns with artificial sweeteners such as Splenda. Fat is not the culprit. Eskimos eat tremendous amounts of saturated fats and have low heart disease. Personally, I believe the culprit is sugar and refined carbohydrates that are the cause of an alarming increase of obesity in our country. I have met many foreigners who all say that when they come to the United States they gain weight. Once they return to their former countries and go back to eating unrefined foods that include whole milk, butter, whole grains and lots of fresh vegetables and Fruits, they lose the weight they gained while they were here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Definitely butter. When I studied nutrition in college our professor told us that the body does not digest margarine efficiently because it is artificial.

Funny. You were claiming your professor was anti dairy in the other thread (I responded to you there, btw). Different professor?
    Butter bring an all natural food it is used and digested efficiently. The molecules and chains in margarine end up clogging arteries.

Margarine is varied. How does olive oil plus butter (for one example) accomplish this feat more than either on its own?
    Plus butter is good for the body. We need fat. With the reduction of eating fat in our country we are now seeing an alarming increase in obesity.

There has been no reduction in fat, first, and, second, schools like the Harvard School of Public Health and other top nutrition experts continue to recommend that we limit (not eliminate) sat fat. Butter is sat fat. It's fine in moderate quantities, of course (as noted above I use it and not margarine because I prefer it, but use olive oil more than butter). But butter is not a food we NEED to eat or one that we ought to seek out because it's good to include it in our diets any more than other foods we include because they are tasty (see, e.g., other dairy products like high quality cheese or, for that matter, high quality chocolate).
    Refined carbohydrates plays havoc with our systems.

Separate topic, as margarine isn't a "refined carb." (Neither too much sat fat nor too many refined carbs are advisable, IMO, and that's based on the advice of credible nutrition experts, Our mistake has been subbing one for the other when we ought to eat more vegetables, fruits, and less refined and fewer animal-based products, on average.)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    20140411.png

I have the nervous feeling that the comic author observed me in the grocery store.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I purchased a bottle of "chemical free household cleaner." It was "all-natural" and "organic" too. I used it as a demo for freshmen chemistry classes.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Refined carbohydrates plays havoc with our systems. Recent studies have found concerns with artificial sweeteners such as Splenda. Fat is not the culprit. Eskimos eat tremendous amounts of saturated fats and have low heart disease. Personally, I believe the culprit is sugar and refined carbohydrates that are the cause of an alarming increase of obesity in our country. I have met many foreigners who all say that when they come to the United States they gain weight. Once they return to their former countries and go back to eating unrefined foods that include whole milk, butter, whole grains and lots of fresh vegetables and Fruits, they lose the weight they gained while they were here.

Rather different topic and that's a real splattering of things.
    First, you'd probably be better using the term Inuit instead of Eskimos, though preference for term will vary by tribe.
    Second, there is a lot of issues with taking one piece of Inuit diet and a few study results and ignoring everything else in it. Inuit diet is also incredibly high in omega-3's, in fact studying them is what initially lead to the fish oil as a heart disease preventative idea. Inuit are also generally active, including living in a cold environment that forces high calorie use to maintain body temperature. There is also discussion of how accurate is the heart disease rate observed for them and does it simply reflect that the hazardous conditions they live in doesn't see many of them live into old age. There is also even some indications that the Inuit may have a choice few genes that alter fat metabolism, partially in relation to the already mentioned omega-3's.
    Third, the Splenda study you mentioned also shows that moderate amounts of Splenda cause males rats to reduce their cancer rate, but most headlines don't say that, do they? The group that did that experiment has a history of releasing conclusions that artificial sweetners are unsafe that tends to defy the actual data they present.
    Fourth, yes, foreigners come to America and move less, eat more (larger portions) resulting in weight gain. They eat more of everything, not just carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

First, you'd probably be better using the term Inuit instead of Eskimos, though preference for term will vary by tribe.
    Second, there is a lot of issues with taking one piece of Inuit diet and a few study results and ignoring everything else in it. Inuit diet is also incredibly high in omega-3's, in fact studying them is what initially lead to the fish oil as a heart disease preventative idea. Inuit are also generally active, including living in a cold environment that forces high calorie use to maintain body temperature. There is also discussion of how accurate is the heart disease rate observed for them and does it simply reflect that the hazardous conditions they live in doesn't see many of them live into old age. There is also even some indications that the Inuit may have a choice few genes that alter fat metabolism, partially in relation to the already mentioned omega-3's.
    Third, the Splenda study you mentioned also shows that moderate amounts of Splenda cause males rats to reduce their cancer rate, but most headlines don't say that, do they? The group that did that experiment has a history of releasing conclusions that artificial sweetners are unsafe that tends to defy the actual data they present.
    Fourth, yes, foreigners come to America and move less, eat more (larger portions) resulting in weight gain. They eat more of everything, not just carbs.

All great points.

Also worth noting that of the many things wrong with the US diet, on average, carb percentage isn't one of them. We have a pretty unremarkable carb percentage and if anything are remarkable for having relatively high protein consumption. Lots of traditional and healthy diets are higher in carb percentage. (Different make up of carbs? Sure. Fewer calories for the amount of activity? No doubt.)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

All great points.

Also worth noting that of the many things wrong with the US diet, on average, carb percentage isn't one of them. We have a pretty unremarkable carb percentage and if anything are remarkable for having relatively high protein consumption. Lots of traditional and healthy diets are higher in carb percentage. (Different make up of carbs? Sure. Fewer calories for the amount of activity? No doubt.)

The carb percentage of the average US diet seems to be very low in comparison to the rest of the world from this data:
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1154

We get plenty of fat and protein:
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1156
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1155

and plenty of calories...
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1160
    (Also has a summary of macro percentage for each country if you hover over it)

and the calorie count seems to have a high correlation to the obesity rate...
    http://chartsbin.com/view/29078
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this. I have often heard of the Inuits as an example of super high fat diets that "work", but never thought about all the specific details you mentioned.
  • senecarr
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thank you for posting this. I have often heard of the Inuits as an example of super high fat diets that "work", but never thought about all the specific details you mentioned.

People often list them as a culture where everyone lives a ketogenic (not just low carb, constantly in ketosis) diet, but they aren't. Even in winter without access to vegetation, they get enough carbohydrates from the glycogen in mammal blubber to stay out of ketosis.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

All great points.

The carb percentage of the average US diet seems to be very low in comparison to the rest of the world from this data:
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1154

We get plenty of fat and protein:
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1156
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1155

and plenty of calories...
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1160
    (Also has a summary of macro percentage for each country if you hover over it)

and the calorie count seems to have a high correlation to the obesity rate...
    http://chartsbin.com/view/29078

Cool. Thanks for adding all this.
  • mikkara
    mikkara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Use whipped butter......you tend to use much less than taking a chunk off a stick of butter.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, I don't like butter on vegetables, and have olive oil out of preference. It saves me a lot of money I could be spending on Kerrygold.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Weirdly, I don't like butter on vegetables, and have olive oil out of preference. It saves me a lot of money I could be spending on Kerrygold.

That doesn't seem weird to me at all. I like butter on various things (such as fish in a brown butter sauce), but have always preferred olive oil on vegetables. Using too much of it was part of why I gained weight, so learning it is tasty and works just as well in smaller amounts was helpful.