Really....REALLY getting fed up!

Options
I've been on MVP since last June. Starting in mid-January I stopped losing. I know that I can't go below the daily calorie limit (1200) because it's not safe, so what can I do to stop this and start losing again? I know I'm counting my food properly and nothing has changed other than the inability to lose weight. Maybe I should be at a higher calorie daily rate instead and eat more? I'm at a loss to figure this out. We go to the gym occasionally and walk, but it doesn't seem to matter anymore. Help!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight and how much are you trying to lose? I see that you are 67. It is possible that your deficit even at 1200 is pretty small but we need more info to know for sure.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and weighing all of your food?
  • kimqtpie
    kimqtpie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to bump up your calorie intake and increase your workouts. The more lean muscle you have on your body, the higher your metabolism will be. Spend some time and focus on gaining muscle. Then after a few months, go back to cutting your body fat percentage.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do not judge progress just by weight, keep in mind that muscle per volume weights more than fat. I went for months not losing any weight by lost several inches off my waist at the same time. Mostly because I was building up muscle mass and losing excess fat.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

This.

WRLemmon wrote: »
    Do not judge progress just by weight, keep in mind that muscle per volume weights more than fat. I went for months not losing any weight by lost several inches off my waist at the same time. Mostly because I was building up muscle mass and losing excess fat.

Probably not. Males in their 20s who are doing heavy resistance training 5-6 days a week and have ample testosterone to build muscle might be able to do so. The average person in a calorie deficit is both unlikely to be doing the weight lifting necessary or consuming adequate protein to build muscle nevermind it gets harder and harder if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can sympathise here as I have posted a couple of times about the same thing; however I have only been using MFP for two and a half months and lost just 3 lbs. MFP set my calories for 1200 and after an initial 2lb loss over 3-6 weeks my weight started creeping up. Despite blaming it on 'muscle' (which I haven't got), I was getting very despondent. Especially as so many people were questioning in an accusing way that I MUST be eating more than I said, and I COULDN'T be weighing my food. As someone who has been very nutrition conscious in the past I did/do know what I am talking about. I defected for about 10 days to Fatsecret where it said my calories should be 1600 calories. I found this interesting as I also found on other sites that did complicated calculations that none of them said my intake should be less than 1400. So when I came back to MFP I reset my intake to 1400. By the time I have done exercise albeit it modified because of disability, it usually takes me well under. Sorry to waffle on but what I am saying is that I agree with those of you that have suggested upping your intake are probably right. I haven't got as screwed up now, and have actually lost another lb since increasing. My skirt waist lines and mirror also say more than the weighing scales. :wink: I am a small eater in any case which was why it was so frustrating; but I knew I needed to up my protein intake. Don't lose hope; try eating more good nutritious food and you will hopefully find it kickstarts your metabolism going again. Do update us on how things go. We are here to support you.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What are your height and weight and how much are you trying to lose? I see that you are 67. It is possible that your deficit even at 1200 is pretty small but we need more info to know for sure.

I'm 5'2" and now at 179 (from 205).
  • lthur714
    Options

I am using the scale for everything that goes in my mouth except when I'm out. I even err on the side of overestimating if there is any doubt.
  • lthur714
    Options
    cryptobrit wrote: »
    I can sympathise here as I have posted a couple of times about the same thing; however I have only been using MFP for two and a half months and lost just 3 lbs. MFP set my calories for 1200 and after an initial 2lb loss over 3-6 weeks my weight started creeping up. Despite blaming it on 'muscle' (which I haven't got), I was getting very despondent. Especially as so many people were questioning in an accusing way that I MUST be eating more than I said, and I COULDN'T be weighing my food. As someone who has been very nutrition conscious in the past I did/do know what I am talking about. I defected for about 10 days to Fatsecret where it said my calories should be 1600 calories. I found this interesting as I also found on other sites that did complicated calculations that none of them said my intake should be less than 1400. So when I came back to MFP I reset my intake to 1400. By the time I have done exercise albeit it modified because of disability, it usually takes me well under. Sorry to waffle on but what I am saying is that I agree with those of you that have suggested upping your intake are probably right. I haven't got as screwed up now, and have actually lost another lb since increasing. My skirt waist lines and mirror also say more than the weighing scales. :wink: I am a small eater in any case which was why it was so frustrating; but I knew I needed to up my protein intake. Don't lose hope; try eating more good nutritious food and you will hopefully find it kickstarts your metabolism going again. Do update us on how things go. We are here to support you.

Thank you for your post. Maybe I will reset it to about 1400 and see what happens. My stepdaughter is on Weight Watchers and she doesn't even count fruits and vegetables at all! If I didn't count those, I would almost be at 0 intake. Ha!
  • lthur714
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

5'2", 179 and I would like to lose about 35-40 more pounds.
  • elphie754
    Options

No-that is not how it works. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight you are either not in a calorie deficit or you have a medical problem (which really only applies to about 1% of people).
    lthur714 wrote: »

I am using the scale for everything that goes in my mouth except when I'm out. I even err on the side of overestimating if there is any doubt.

You are eating more than you think. The food you eat while out is negating your calorie deficit.
  • lthur714
    Options

I've heard that before from my daughter and I know you both are right, but it's hard at 67 to get more muscle. There are things I probably shouldn't do (like abdominal stuff mostly, due to several smallish hernias from an intestinal surgery). Ironically, that's where I need to lose the most weight (me and my apple shape). Maybe I can do more things with thigh muscles at the gym. I keep losing in my hips and thighs and back---hardly ever the stomach.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post that the food eaten out might be where the issue is - even if you are eating at a place that publishes nutritional information, the actual preparation methods may vary. To test this out, go for two weeks preparing your own meals, continuing to weigh and measure everything, and see if you remain stalled. If you do, then about the only thing to do (besides seeing your primary care provider to make sure that thyroid levels are ok and you are not holding on to fluid in an unhealthy way) is to increase your activity level. Rather than worry about going to the gym more, walk more, and more frequently during the day. You have done GREAT to lose about 12% of your original body weight!
  • elphie754
    Options

I've heard that before from my daughter and I know you both are right, but it's hard at 67 to get more muscle. There are things I probably shouldn't do (like abdominal stuff mostly, due to several smallish hernias from an intestinal surgery). Ironically, that's where I need to lose the most weight (me and my apple shape). Maybe I can do more things with thigh muscles at the gym. I keep losing in my hips and thighs and back---hardly ever the stomach.

You can't spot reduce.
  • elphie754
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10361227/sero-vital#latest

Looking to quick fixes and scam products are not going to help either.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I agree with the above post that the food eaten out might be where the issue is - even if you are eating at a place that publishes nutritional information, the actual preparation methods may vary. To test this out, go for two weeks preparing your own meals, continuing to weigh and measure everything, and see if you remain stalled. If you do, then about the only thing to do (besides seeing your primary care provider to make sure that thyroid levels are ok and you are not holding on to fluid in an unhealthy way) is to increase your activity level. Rather than worry about going to the gym more, walk more, and more frequently during the day. You have done GREAT to lose about 12% of your original body weight!

^^This^^ I am 62 and just got back on this wagon in January. My daily calorie intake is 1200 (my TDEE is around 1600 so that gives me a weekly loss of less than 1 pound). I increase my intake only when I feel I need to eat back some of my exercise calories which is typically on the days I do cardio. My main exercise is hiking hills 3-4 times per week with a little skiing and dog walking thrown in for good measure. I do some strength training 2-3 days per week in the hopes that I can maintain muscle. I'm aware that I will not be able to start building muscle until I am no longer eating at a deficit so that part can wait. I've gone from 179 to 157. If I were you I would make sure my food intake is accurate and I would increase my walking. That will allow you a little leeway on your calorie consumption. As other people have said you can't spot reduce and "eating more to lose more" doesn't work. You have already made great progress, keep it up.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think. The food you eat while out is negating your calorie deficit.

^^This!

Brutal honesty can be found right HERE!

• lthur714
    Options

No-that is not how it works. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight you are either not in a calorie deficit or you have a medical problem (which really only applies to about 1% of people).

No, I am not eating more than I think as I am so careful. I have no thyroid and am on meds for that but that didn't stop me losing before.
  • lthur714
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

^^This^^ I am 62 and just got back on this wagon in January. My daily calorie intake is 1200 (my TDEE is around 1600 so that gives me a weekly loss of less than 1 pound). I increase my intake only when I feel I need to eat back some of my exercise calories which is typically on the days I do cardio. My main exercise is hiking hills 3-4 times per week with a little skiing and dog walking thrown in for good measure. I do some strength training 2-3 days per week in the hopes that I can maintain muscle. I'm aware that I will not be able to start building muscle until I am no longer eating at a deficit so that part can wait. I've gone from 179 to 157. If I were you I would make sure my food intake is accurate and I would increase my walking. That will allow you a little leeway on your calorie consumption. As other people have said you can't spot reduce and "eating more to lose more" doesn't work. You have already made great progress, keep it up.
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. There are some great hills in my neighborhood and I'm going to tackle them. That should build some thigh muscles! You mentioned a "TDEE". Can you explain what that means?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

No, I am not eating more than I think as I am so careful. I have no thyroid and am on meds for that but that didn't stop me losing before.

you are older now and your meds may need adjusted. what we did say 10,20 years ago may not work for us as we age