Are the calculators right? Or am I an alien?

Options
All the calculators have different BMR and TDEE suggestions. Some have me as low as 1200cals others at 1500 to lose weight. I've been logging my macros for a month, and calories for much longer. Have lost nothing, if anything I go up and back to normal never lose. At 1200 I end up binging eventually. I'm trying to do it the right way! I'm at about 1350cals now with no weight loss. Exercise has really no bearing on my weight loss. How do you know what to do? If I reduce cals I'll binge, but I'm not losing at 1350.

Stats:
5'5"
135 (but bf is around 24% not 21)
1350 cals
Lightly active

I just don't want to continue to do something that isn't benefitting me or helping me reach my goals eventually.

Help!
Please no remarks on being in the healthy range. I'm not okay having a muffin top for someone to just tell me not to worry about it. I'm busting out of my clothes. Anyone in my situation before who has found a solution please respond.

Appreciate you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Set mfp to lose 0.5lbs per week.

Weigh all your food with scales

Do some strength/resistance training
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    when did you begin weighing your food?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Eat at 1250 then. You'll not binge but lose wt at the same time.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I follow the package labels as they are already portioned out. That's what I do to prevent error. Example: bag of steam veges 120 cal per bag, macros listed accordingly.
  • Ddsb11
    Options

That's not much different. I'm trying to prevent hunger to the point of overrating by the end of the week and ruining all my hard work. If I increase my exercise I get more hungry and my diet is really where I get weight loss results. I exercise for health not weight loss.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You want to lose about 13 lbs. With that goal in mind, it's advisable to set your weight loss goal to 0.5 lb/week.
    At that rate, it's imperative to weigh your food because even a small miscalculation can negate your weight loss for the week.
    Even pre-measured foods are inaccurate if you rely on the packaging data. Try weighing your food and logging everything.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »

I follow the package labels as they are already portioned out. That's what I do to prevent error. Example: bag of steam veges 120 cal per bag, macros listed accordingly.

labels are often wrong. you have to weigh your food.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    Ok, I'll get a scale as soon as I can since that seems to be the missing link so far. But I should be losing at 1350 with lightly active (3-5 hours light exercise per week) right?

Oh and I'm a 34/f

Thanks for the responses!!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

labels are often wrong. you have to weigh your food.

Exactly. The gram weight on packages can be far off from the actual weight. For example, I ate a Trader Joe's Fruit and Nut bar that gave the nutritional facts for 40 grams, but my bar was 50 grams which added an extra 50 calories. Couple that with the fact that most nutritional labels are rounded to begin with and that's even more extra calories to consider. Everything must be weighed when you're trying to lose vanity pounds if you want the utmost precision.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll get a scale as soon as I can since that seems to be the missing link so far. But I should be losing at 1350 with lightly active (3-5 hours light exercise per week) right?

Oh and I'm a 34/f

Thanks for the responses!!

Since you aren't weighing your food, you can't be sure that you're at 1,350. Begin weighing your food, get an accurate idea of how much you're eating, and proceed from there.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. The serving sizes are often wrong. Packaging can be off by 10-20% easily.

If eating too low ends in bad results (binging) then don't do it. Stick with 1350, but keep in mind this is a process that will take time. If you're lightly active at your stats, your TDEE may be in the 1600-1700 range. Meaning 1350 is a slight deficit assuming you are very accurate on your logging for about 2 pounds per month. And if you estimate at all, you can wipe out your deficit. You may need to track for 3-4 months to see a real trend form. So in addition to accuracy & honesty, you'll need patience.

Do make an effort to move more. Its good for your heart/lungs, and even a 10-15 minute walk burns more calories than if you were sitting still during that time. Or increase intensity in simple ways. Walk on hilly terrain (or on a treadmill at a slight incline) instead of flat for example.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and a couple of pounds heavier and I can lose 0.5lb per week on net 1650 cals. Are you sure you have to eat so little?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

That's not much different. I'm trying to prevent hunger to the point of overrating by the end of the week and ruining all my hard work. If I increase my exercise I get more hungry and my diet is really where I get weight loss results. I exercise for health not weight loss.

Sounds like you are not patient and don't believe in baby steps.

You did well with your analysis and belief, having all those numbers. Don't miss the next step which is to put all that analysis work to good use. If your analysis is correct, you will avoid bingeing and lose wt following the middle ground number. Best of both worlds. Then, build on it.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    Weigh your food. The serving sizes are often wrong. Packaging can be off by 10-20% easily.

If eating too low ends in bad results (binging) then don't do it. Stick with 1350, but keep in mind this is a process that will take time. If you're lightly active at your stats, your TDEE may be in the 1600-1700 range. Meaning 1350 is a slight deficit assuming you are very accurate on your logging for about 2 pounds per month. And if you estimate at all, you can wipe out your deficit. You may need to track for 3-4 months to see a real trend form. So in addition to accuracy & honesty, you'll need patience.

Do make an effort to move more. Its good for your heart/lungs, and even a 10-15 minute walk burns more calories than if you were sitting still during that time. Or increase intensity in simple ways. Walk on hilly terrain (or on a treadmill at a slight incline) instead of flat for example.

MFP has me at a loss of 1 lb per week so that's what was making me feel like I was missing something. That should be at least 4 lbs a month, not a gain and back to normal. I do hope the scales solves the mystery. When I do exercise it's weightlifting some cardio and walking.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 34, 5'5" and 125lb and I am losing vanity weight on 1350-1400 a day, estimated actual TDEE of around 2100 - I run 4.1 miles and row 1800m a day. Slug at work outside of the heavy cardio, but lightly active at home.

I stay pretty full eating a lot of raw fruits and veggies, high protein and high veggie foods like spinach and egg white frittatas, non-fat Greek yogurt with stevia and other flavorings, egg white mcmuffins, homemade whole wheat pita bread. Grilled chicken, pork loin, salmon, asparagus. Wrap burgers in lettuce or cabbage. Allow yourself some treat everyday, but obviously build it into your calorie budget. Don't drink any of your calories.

Exercise does work to help you lose weight. You just can't reward yourself with food for having done it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No one voted "alien?" MFP is slacking
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into recomp at maintenance instead of a calorie deficit to help with muffin top and other body composition concerns?

If you are set on losing more scale weight, then I agree with others, getting a food scale is the best way to determine if you are actually consuming 1350 cals (or are you netting 1350, because if eating 1350 and exercising and not losing then yes - something is wrong). But at a healthy weight already (sorry you brought it up) you should set yourself at 0.5 lb/week loss goal not 1 lb/week.

FWIW - I'm 5'2 and lost 30+ lbs and never ate below 1500 cals. My TDEE is around 2200.

• mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No one voted "alien?" MFP is slacking

Haha...
    ok just a thought I like to eat different on different days so what if you stay at 1200 like you want I'm guessing your not eating back your exercise calories so have a few extra on the weekends maybe 1500+ or something you'll have to play with it. Then you will feel like your getting your binge on those days. I agree 1200 sounds low. I'm 5'3 135 and I eat 1200 during the week and saving my exercise calories I eat 1500-2000 on the weekend depending on what is going on. I'm currently losing at about 1-1.5lbs a week. Which is pretty fast since I don't have much more to loose. but since I'm not super hungry and tired I'm ok with it for now. There are weeks though where if I feel hungry or tired I eat more and it hasn't affected my weight loss. So listen to your body if you not getting enough calories eventually you will get tired and will not move as much which will mean less co. So in the long run you're better to eat a little more.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that you are eating the RIGHT foods too. Sometimes it isn't all about the calories. If you eat too much processed stuff even if it is low in calories it will still cause you to gain weight.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would make sure that you are eating the RIGHT foods too. Sometimes it isn't all about the calories. If you eat too much processed stuff even if it is low in calories it will still cause you to gain weight.

How is it that this belief survives in pop culture even though there is no evidence to support it and the Twinkie Diet has shown otherwise?